NC State game thread (Tues 9pm)

I predict the only boos will be from the drunkest members of the student section (it is a 9PM tip). Might be able to hear them in the arena but it will be obvious it’s a small group and it won’t be enough to be picked up on the tv/radio mics

2 Likes

Heard this theory speculated a lot over the past few days, and I think there may be more to it than we realize/give credit to. I also think that could have contributed to the theorized negative reaction to a diminished role. The head trauma stuff is real as someone who suffers from CTE, I have sympathy there, and also realize that one of those post concussion symptoms can be unusual behavior/irritability/mood swings, suddenly being benched could easily trigger all those reactions that would be a 2 on the scale when healthy but an 8 with post concussion issues.

8 Likes

I don’t mind if he is bood. But I’d hope it would come more in the form of ribbing an old friend and not the palpable hatred that was felt when the bood McCoy.

Not all boos are equal.

6 Likes

Fair enough, although probably hard to tell the distinction as the receiver of boo’ing.

I appreciated what he (and CTB) said in the article about his experience at UVa.

4 Likes

For sure Casey did it the right way I have no animosity towards him. I’m also okay with any ribbing of an opponent, that’s part of sports.

The difference here vs. McCoy is I don’t think Casey needs to hear a chorus of boos every time he touches the court.

5 Likes

Release the How-itzer

2 Likes

I think it would be weird if the whole arena boos him. Feels weird for adults with full careers and possibly kids to boo a 22 year old college athlete. But, if the student section was to boo him relentlessly for the 40 minutes of action? All for that as long as they compliment it with some pre and/or post game love to show it was all sporting. à la Brady’s return to NE or something like that. Just don’t think the majority of our students will go for it

Generally agree, but by that logic all of this feels weird. Adults strolling kids socials for tips and updates on what they’re doing. Obsessing over the thoughts and actions of a teenager who is not related to you. It’s a slippery slope if you start walking that path.

8 Likes

I wonder if we go with Dunn more this game. With Burns in the game, defensively a lineup of Beeks/Clark/Franklin/Imac/Dunn would be difficult for Burns to hang with. Defensively, I stick Dunn on Burns 1v1 and realize he will give up some bully ball baskets but his length/athleticism could bother Burns and allow our guards to stay home on their guards. Also a lineup with 3 guards Dunn/Gardner could work if Gardner is able to guard Burns. They would likely stick Burns on Gardner and maybe Gardner can get him in foul trouble.

I think the key to this game will be how we choose to guard Burns and if we can take advantage of matchup problems that we can create against him. Should be a very interesting game. Not my favorite matchup for sure, but glad it is at JPJ and I think we respond well after the loss to VT.

2 Likes

Great point. We’re all on a message board just about everyday discussing these 18-22 year olds.

3 Likes

For sure but also don’t think 14,000 people are doing that like would be booing in an arena lol I mean I’m pretty active on here and I don’t even follow anyone younger than Mamadi. The over 25 crowd actually following those guys on socials is a small % of even the people who take the time to post on message boards. Let alone the overall fandom. Mostly the younger crowd there and I don’t think it’s weird behavior for them to follow their peers or kids one ’wave’ (ie high school senior when they were a 4th year type of gap) behind them

Also don’t think most people who do follow those accounts are talking trash to Casey (or insert player here). IMO there’s a clear line between following a recruit/player and posting trash talk about him on his socials.

Idk maybe I’m not making much sense but imo there’s a clear difference in the relationship towards college athletes between their age group and younger and people out of their age range (ie out of college age before they were college freshman age)

1 Like

Burns would just stick his butt out and back Ryan down. Wish we’d start, try and try to get Kadin his confidence back. We’ll likely go BVP first despite Saturday. Papi will get second crack (and that’ll be fun). Either way, bet we see State shoot a lot of free throws tonight.

3 Likes

I’ll be there tonight giving him a loud applause when starters are announced. Casey will always be a favorite of mine. People forget that he was the first recruit we got post UMBC…that alone is worth cheering him for IMO

14 Likes

The quirky thing with Burns is that he actually takes most of his shots not at the rim; he’s not really taking mid-range jumpers, but they are these in-between shots that aren’t classified as at-rim attempts, so he doesn’t draw a lot of fouls despite getting good position. Against Wake he had 8 FTA on 26 FGA, against GT he had 3 FTA on 21 FGA, and even had 0 FTA on 15 FGA against ND.

1 Like

I don’t think Tony would have said in his post-game that Shedrick was available to play if that were the case. There is merit to the counterproductive offensive pairings of Shedrick/Gardner, but that doesn’t explain Papi getting minutes ahead of Shedrick.

Tony has been known at times to give a benching to get a player’s attention. It may be that they have been trying to get him to change his decision-making in game (and in practice). Shedrick hunts blocked shots, probably to a fault. He is a poor rebounder for his size, and frankly not a great primary defender in the post. I think all of those are interrelated. If he would play more hold-your-ground, positional defense, he can still be disruptive with his length but would be in better position to turn, block out, and gather rebounds. Blocked shots and altered shots are good but not so much if they lead to an easy offensive rebound and putback because he’s out of position for a rebound. BVP isn’t a defensive stud, but he does a pretty good job at 6’8” of positional defense and grabbing a rebound (plus the offensive benefits that Shedrick doesn’t give).

Conjecture on my part, but it makes sense to me. And it also means that if Shedrick gets whatever message is being sent, that he can regain playing time and help achieve what the coaches are working toward.

6 Likes

All valid points and ones I agree with. The thing about the Sheds situation is I don’t think its just 1 thing or the other. It can be and I believe it to be just about everything conjectured on this board.

3 Likes

If you’re looking for a good DJ Burns primer, the best place is his twitter account, LOL! It’s chock a block full of DJ Burns highlights. He seems to have a fun personality, too.

https://twitter.com/beastboyburns?lang=en

This one has every ACC bucket through Jan 10:

2 Likes

Hard to know who defended him best / what worked without seeing the shots that didn’t go in, but it looked like he destroyed Kidd, made Federiko squared look bad once or twice, and I was surprised how many he got against Sydney Curry. Though it looked like Curry and PJ Hall made him uncomfortable, made him work the most. NCST seems to make it tough to double him since they’re mostly playing him and perimeter guys, but I think the double could work if we pull it off.

That highlight package is worth a view, but it mostly leaves me wanting that Synergy account…

Also, I’m not really sure this is the best game for Shed to re-emerge. Burns seems like a tough matchup for him.

1 Like

Dude’s a beast and has nice touch. He gets to his spots by backing guys down. Seems like Papi would give the most resistance and surely we’ll see doubles from the weak side, and doubles with quick retreats for a different look.

1 Like

Yep, if he knocks down 4+ 3 pointers I will be pissed but it will align 100% with what I expect to happen.

1 Like