NCAA set to allow players to cash in on their names?

Sounds like a verdict could come soon.

Recommended rule changes that would clear the way for athletes to earn money from their names, images and likeness are being reviewed by college sports administrators this week before being sent to the NCAA Board of Governors, which meets Monday and Tuesday.

The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption. An athlete could compromise their eligibility for failing to disclose details of a financial agreement or relationship, the person said.

4 Likes

This could get really complicated really fast

Does this mean schools with rich boosters willing to provide endorsement deals can essentially steer top athletes to their schools? Example, every basketball player for college X essentially will get a $50,000 endorsement deal from business Y owned by rich alum Z. Is so, this May totally kill college sports. Who wants to watch sports where same team wins every year as can outbid other colleges for athletes. Better entertainment options. Maybe end result is that universities deemphasize sports and student athletes.

1 Like

I mean, that’s already happening to a certain extent. I don’t think it will have as dramatic an effect as you’re mentioning, but could put smaller schools (ie mid majors) at a significant disadvantage. But I don’t think anybody rlly knows what the effects will be as of now.

1 Like

This line…“The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption”…is scary. The NCAA doesn’t have the greatest track record with things like this. Lol

4 Likes

Plus everyone has rich boosters. Not sure it really creates an un-level playing field.

College ball the sport we love us over. It will never be the same. At least we are the last true champion.

2 Likes

Looks like we’ll find out tomorrow

4 Likes

Sadly i think you may be correct. Money will now be used to manipulate 16 and 17 yr old kids. We all know the slime balls will be lurking. And using this logic whose to say that high school players don’t have the same rights. Or maybe AAU players. The Pandoras box has been opened.

3 Likes

Coming in '21-22. No real details of how it’ll work yet.

3 Likes

Finally. Curious to see the details but I’ve gone to the mat for there being a legit compensation system for a while and I will continue to do that.

1 Like

Also known as NCAA profiting as well.

3 Likes

:100::100::100:

2 Likes

I dread what this is going to do to recruiting.

1 Like