NCAAT First Round - Furman vs Virginia (12:30 PM, TruTV, Thursday, 16 Mar 2023)

https://twitter.com/lockerroominc/status/1635328872563736577?s=46&t=N3FOT-sb1ZV1UliRM5dyBQ

6 Likes

F is a Paladin?

3 Likes

Furman Paladins

Record: 27-7 overall, 15-3 in Southern
Coach: Bob Richey (sixth season, first NCAA tourney appearance
Key stat: 59.1% on shots inside the arc, 2nd in D-I
Metrics: 89th in kenpom; 95th in barttorvik; 71st in evanmiya
Outlook: There isn’t just one guy. Jalen Slawson and Mike Bothwell are both incredible and bring different strengths to Furman, but if you’re making me choose the most important guy … it’s probably Slawson. He was the SoCon Player of the Year and is a little bit better on defense. He’s a point forward (and is 6-7) who’s gotten better as a shooter. He’s not gonna take a bunch of 3s, but if he hits three or four, boy you’re in trouble. He does an excellent job running their team and can switch five ways on defense.
Slawson and Bothwell will both get theirs and do what they do. If there’s a guy who you might not focus on but will beat you is Marcus Foster. If he’s hitting shots, you’re in trouble because that means they’ve spread you out. To win a game, they gotta hit 3s. They’re capable of doing it, too. They’re physical on defense and will be well prepared. They’ve just got good players who’ve been through it.
Now, if they’re not hitting 3s, then they could be in trouble. And if a team is physical with them and disrupts their offense, they can struggle. They want a free-flowing game. You have to make them uncomfortable. If JP Pegues gets in foul trouble or is thrown off, that’s going to be what slows them down.
-Greg Gary, Mercer coach

7 Likes

Like a magical knight

4 Likes

A rambling man

3 Likes

You know too much about too much

3 Likes

Duke in Orlando, too, so we’ll get the daytime games. Get that PTO request in

4 Likes

I mean, this basically sounds like a perfect matchup for us

5 Likes

Some sort of Star Wars thing probably.

4 Likes

‘They want a free flowing game’.

Good luck

10 Likes

Assumed it was someone who frequents the Palladium in NYC

1 Like

They shot a whole bunch of FT’s in their conference tourney games. But this should be a game where Gardner is able to work inside and get some easy buckets in our half court sets. If we can stay sound on our rotations and have some success in the paint we should be fine.

2 Likes

Based on kenpom ratings, we’ll probably be favored by 5 or 6

3 Likes

Another word for knight like cavalier ( from chevalier) is word for horseman.

2 Likes

Selfishly hoping we’d get Fri/Sun to give us some additional rest. Hope it’s a night game Thurs

4 Likes

I’m on the faculty at Furman. Aside from this being my worst personal nightmare, don’t sleep on these guys. They can get hot and they’re scary when they do. I was looking forward to rooting for them pulling off a big upset. I don’t get to do that, but it could still happen.

24 Likes

The Paladins are twelve legendary knights led by a guy named Roland, which - and get this - is often spelled guess what in Italian … Orlando. (Gulp)

9 Likes

Leave your job to pledge your allegiance. It’s the only way.

9 Likes
1 Like