NCAAT First Round - Furman vs Virginia (12:30 PM, TruTV, Thursday, 16 Mar 2023)

And we had a guy on that team who just dropped 41 in an nba game last night :frowning:

12 Likes

We certainly didnā€™t play well. Unfortunately they had some guy named Ben Vander Plas who lit us up. What a loser.

Sam and Jay absolutely KILLED us in that game. Combined for 2/14 from 3.

3 Likes

Ha. And one of the best NBA three point shooters in Boston. And a dude on the Wizards. Who am I missing here?

8 Likes

If we get to Bama weā€™ll beat them. Like our matchup (relative to other 1 and 2 seeds) plus Karma is on our side. Iā€™ll predict that now. They do not want to play another Tennessee style team. Huge question of course of whether we get to Bama

1 Like

The 2023 ACC DPOY was on that team

4 Likes

But only had the spare key riding shot gun haha

3 Likes

Well if we donā€™t get to practice this week Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™ll lose to Furman too

3 Likes

Weā€™ve had a tremendously difficult time in the first round. I donā€™t know why everyone is up in arms when both models and pundits pick up on that

7 Likes

Thatā€™s just silly ā€¦ can get tickets for $20 right now online.

1 Like

NCSt & Clemson were averaging 80 pts per game. In our last three games against them they scored 50, 57 & 56. Canā€™t we score over 60 against the 180th rated defensive team (against a weak schedule) with no size to bother us?

1 Like

Models pick up on the fact that only two players from our last first round loss remain on the team?

Not surprised by being picked to be upset but I am impressed Furman was able to replace their entire roster with the 2019 Wofford squad. Or so youā€™d think listening/reading around today

2 Likes

But how much you gonna charge for processing??? Hahahah

And one Wake starter!

2 Likes

left field take here but Tonyā€™s press conference comment about how he regretted reminding the guys that they could take sole possession of the regular season title before the BC game we lost because he felt like that got to them was an odd comment to me. Implication there is it got in their heads.

Between our head coach thinking his team/ his comments are getting in their heads, the FTs, the missed dunks and the first round woes, our team like it or not seems to have some mental barriers

5 Likes

Maybe TBs way of saying that L was on him?

2 Likes

Interestingly Sears played for Ohio U in that infamous game 2 years ago. Weā€™ve got BVP on our side this time though. Advantage Hoos.

I think we match up as well with Bama as any of the 1s. Furthermore, stylistically we are so different from anyone in the SEC that we could really frustrate them. It would be a hell of a game.

First things first though, letā€™s beat Furman.

3 Likes

Anyone questioning this take is in denial. I am very hopeful that we play well Thursday and put all doubts to rest, but thereā€™s plenty of reasons doubts exist.

2 Likes

When we havenā€™t had an injury situation (or COVID pause) ā€” 2014, 2016, 2019 ā€” weā€™ve rolled (minus the early scare with Gardner-Webb, but cavalanched last four minutes of the half and first 10 after HT).

Weā€™ve struggled those other years in round 1: 2012 (everyone ā€” Florida), 2015 (Anderson coming off the finger and appendectomy ā€” Belmont), 2017 (Wilkins illness ā€” UNC-W), 2019 (Hunter hand/wrist ā€” WTN), 2021 (weeklong COVID pause ā€” Ohio).

Unfortunately, weā€™ve got the injury to a key contributor thing going this year, too, but with depth and experience at the position from previous years, and earlier this year.

1 Like