NCAAT First Round - Furman vs Virginia (12:30 PM, TruTV, Thursday, 16 Mar 2023)

One more thought : this is probably too much of a catch all, but we need more variability, more resilience. Like, we were struggling vs that zone for several possessions. And it becomes a bigger issue when we play fewer possessions. How about we try to beat the defense once or twice? Before they get set?

7 Likes

My take is that Tony keeps getting himself in these situations. If it werenā€™t for the fact that he is an over performing Hall of Fame coach he wouldnā€™t have to take these tournament losses. The average coach wouldnā€™t even make the tournament with most of his teams. It is really about talent and the ability to land the right recruits and not having to try and cobble together a team that has obvious weaknesses that donā€™t equal success come the NCAA tournament. 2022/23 recruiting classes are looking up and hopefully he can build upon it. Give Tony the talent that the blue bloods get and he may never loose a game or never win another. He has a niche for taking a group of young guys that have shortcomings on the court and getting the most out of them. The critics are not all wrong on their takes but they donā€™t tell the whole truth in the story.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s an excellent point. You can make a rationale argument that every team since the Natty (including last years NIT) over achieved. Bad ACC or not our top to bottom talent has not been too 4 in the league over the past 3 years. This in no way excuses today and Ohio.

2 Likes

Yes agree tooā€¦today we fked upā€¦ periodā€¦not calling the timeout was just a huge mistakeā€¦

We have overall overachieved with our rosters since the natty

1 Like

Exactly. Thatā€™s why todays loss hurt so bad. They had it won. A mistake made by a usual high IQ 5 th year guard. Not a characteristic of a TB team.

6 Likes

I feel for the little dude bc 100 times that same play goes down it only happens once like that

2 Likes

LOL, my man

https://twitter.com/BoardGeniuses/status/1636503370465697794?s=20

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never pulled for Oral Roberts so much in my life as today.

2 Likes

I refuse to read Forde anymore so Iā€™m not sure what his latest piece of shit article says. Calling our program a fraud after UMBC was such BS. The number of cheating coaches and programs with seemingly no morals in the sport, yet he attacked our program like that was pure garbage. We absolutely deserved criticism after losing to a 16 seed but he went way too far with it. It felt personal.

2 Likes

Oh no. Oral BLOWS.

2 Likes

Love that heā€™s tweeting through it, too. Ha ha!

5 Likes

Iā€™m still in disbelief. That was legitimately hard to do in that moment, especially with timeouts.

2 Likes

It is kayfabe. Getting mad at Forde is no different than getting mad at Kurt Angle in a loser retires match.

Do I have an ounce of respect for Forde, Bayless and the rest? No. Would I ever take the money a guy like Cowherd makes for doing what he does? Never. Zero respect.

But it ainā€™t personal. Just a clown playing a bit.

3 Likes

Torvik with the right perspective. Lick our wounds, look forward to the revenge tour this fall.

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/status/1636487913939652609?s=20

17 Likes

Thatā€™s a very level headed assessment. Frankly this team gave me more positive memories than I ever anticipated.

And the future looks bright

5 Likes

I feel bad for @Hoosthechamp. Heā€™s been at work. I texted him in game updates. Play by play at the end. It went from up 3 shooting FTs to we lost. He was like what?

17 Likes

Interesting moment from SVG in that game, which got lost in the noise, was him telling the story about Jeff Van Grundy talking to Dick Bennett at a coaching clinic about how to limit turnovers. Answer was basically: donā€™t play the guys who turn it over! :joy:

I sometimes wish we had a ā€œDick Bennettā€ captioning for Tonyā€™s pressers.

3 Likes

Amazing, and really just typical fate for our Hoos.

https://twitter.com/kerrancejames/status/1636449732284260364?s=20

10 Likes

He stepped into that 3 like he was 40 percent from beyond.

3 Likes