New walk-on commitment

STAB guard Malachi Poindexter announced his commitment today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-SGpDYpBen/

https://www.dailyprogress.com/sports/stabs-malachi-poindexter-accepts-preferred-walk-on-spot-with-virginia/article_ea4c5ea8-5ef6-546b-883e-3af42110e4d4.html

6 Likes

I’ve heard great things about this kid

1 Like

He’s a great addition. Turned down some scholarship opportunities and probably should have had more. We’ve been fortunate to get some very talented walk-ons lately.

I like his story. He’s originally from Louisa County. I first heard of him when he visited way back in the summer of 2017 (pictured), for an underclassman day I think? He was in the '19 class then. Reclassified when he transferred to STAB. Seems to be a legit UVA fan.

sLAfaJs_

6 Likes

cool poster there

He went to STAB so I’ll hold that agaisnt him. But glad he’s a Hoo now

5 Likes

Uh oh :grimacing::joy:

@BDragon don’t hate! In Malachi’s defense he hit a last second game winner against Henry Coleman earlier this year.

5 Likes

Has 0 to do with him and everything to do with my experience attending STAB as a young dragon

3 Likes

What years? I think I’m much older but curious. I graduated in 95.

hahahhhah. love this

1 Like

This was an obvious commit. He loved the atmosphere of the JPJ.

2 Likes

Hah same, went there for elementary school :rofl:

2 Likes

I went to STAB for several years 2nd 3rd 5th and half of my 6th grade year. It was not an enjoyable experience at all and had nothing to do with the education and everything to do with the people and my personal experience. I transfered out midway through 6th grade to go to Tandem before it was a friends school thos was 95ish.

But I’ve always held a grudge towards STAB since then and when i hit the camp and recruit circuit in HS i made it a mission to bust anyones ass who went there.

2 Likes

Could have sworn he made an IG post announcing his commitment a couple weeks ago? Could be mixed up, all the days are basically the same now. lol

3 Likes

haha! His “offer” announcement could have been worded better. A lot of people mistook it for a commitment then.

3 Likes

Ahhhh, that’s what it was. Thanks!

I’ve seen this kid play bunch of times over the years. He’s always been able to take his game up a notch against better competition and ranked kids for years. He’s more of a CG at 6”3 can really stretch the floor and is deadly in the high pick & roll. It wouldn’t surprise me if he earn a scholarship maybe as a sophomore. He’s been underrated for years in my opinion from AAU, @Louisa County and STAB. Good luck to him.

7 Likes

HGN - do you think he has real potential to get real minutes?

Yeah it’s possible down the line. Like Chase, he’ll belong on the court. Won’t stick out like most walk-ons.

3 Likes