🙄 No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Article about college teams outsourcing analytics instead of hiring within. Your wheelhouse.

I like the Athletic for the first part of CBB season but we have a network here that knows probly more about the Hoos so no necessary. Also has some decent one off articles

3 Likes

It’s an interesting question because you probably want to leverage all of the infrastructure a big analytics firm would have. Not to mention that they have a horizontal view of the landscape looking across teams. However, as alluded to above, there may be some specifics analytics that require knowledge of the program and its schemes. You almost want a small 1-2 person group in house coordinating with an outsourced team?

2 Likes

I think even knowledgable managers could be that liason with the outsourced team. A guy like Grant Kersey that knows TB and staff etc would easily work. Plus these kids are so fing tech savvy now, its like second nature

1 Like

@hoopsandhoos does that that Shot Quality stuff. I think I read that programs are using those insights a bit more.

1 Like

Agreed just need someone who is a “product guy” on the inside.

1 Like

Kids still cool with hyping up the Jordan brand? Man, kids are more gullible than I thought. This would be like when I was a kid, and someone was like, “Hey - Wes Unseld wore these things and now endorses them. Remember Wes Unseld?” Me: “Nah, not really.”

Could you imagine Jordan playing in the era after Pitino discovered that 3 was more than 2? He’d be like Demar Derozan or something.

1 Like

This analogy would make sense if Unseld had a billion dollar business lol they aren’t wearing it to remember Michael Jordan. They are wearing it because it’s what all their favorites now wear.

1 Like

… the intent of it were to make sense and not be a dumb joke (sorry if not obvious).

1 Like

I didn’t think you were serious lol just thought your jokes are usually more funny :wink:

1 Like

Gotta work through the bad ones to get to the good ones. :wink:

6 Likes

I’ve been rocking my George Gervin’s and bumping Chubby Checkers on the phonogram like there’s no tomorrow. Whatcha know about that?

3 Likes

Looks just like Crotty

9 Likes

Breakin ankles

3 Likes

(trying not to annoy anyone who hates RS discussions, so I will put this here)

My issue with it is – and not that I necessarily need to hear this in a presser – is that I don’t hear the other side. He’s bringing up the PT and the obvious issue that it’s hard to find time for 12-13 guys. Yup, of course. But it still leaves open the obvious follow-up question: okay, so why is 0 MPG a better option than ~5 MPG during a few of the cupcakes? And the only answer that I think makes sense is if you see a tradeoff in that 5th year. And, w/r/t the 5th year, my view is that none of us are particularly good at predicting the future and 5 years is a long way away.

I actually think PT is sort of a bad reason for giving the RS; I think necessary physical or hoops development to be able to play one’s position in college is a good reason, but I don’t see that case for anyone on our team. Everyone on this team, from what I can see, seems to be ready to make contributions at the ACC level.

3 Likes

Also, probably an obvious implication, but I think we should be very careful about RSing anyone who has NBA early entry upside. Especially since that obviates most of the benefit of the RS.

Bond and Dunn both have NBA early entry upside. Note: upside, not “they will be drafted early.” There’s a significant chance one or both won’t even become good ACC players (that’s the downside).

3 Likes

I thought everyone has NBA early entry possibility at this point

2 Likes

How about - we shouldn’t redshirt US-bred recruits with the measurables that NBA teams are currently looking for in the first round of the draft.

3 Likes

That one is fair. I disagree that Bond is gonna be a sub 4 year NBA possibility but thats proly cause I am selfish and want him for 5This text will be blurred years

Edit: the fuk did I so there

5 Likes

I really wanted the blurred part to be 5 fucking years. :joy:

5 Likes

Onviously was my intention. Calling IT now

2 Likes