Non-UVA basketball discussion (misc/old games/etc)

Came to post about the Pitt game as well. Combined with the also mentioned win @FSU that season. Back when Pitt was still a good program and it was a big to win at Pitt. Felt like it cemented our momentum and ACC title run that season. And the game winning play was so flawless

5 Likes

Hot college basketball topic of the day on the internet. These measurements are horrible. Beyond hype, I don’t get how Emoni Bates is a one and done outside him wanting to be one. Emoni was touted as the next KD and has had all this drama behind him with the aau program named after him and his dad starting that school for him. But Duke fans pointed out how undrafted Matthew Hurt literally has an advantage over him in every single one of these categories. Of course there is more to basketball than just measurements, but these don’t scream “High ceiling potential”.

1 Like

It can be true that Bates is overhyped and is still a very good prospect. He’s not at that KD level obviously but he is still a lock to be a plus NBA player. Since he does not meet the age to be OAD (at least to the NBA) it will be interesting to see where he spends his 22-23 season. NBL might be the best place for him if he doesn’t want to do a second college season.

Wow, having a negative wingspan of -1.75" is almost unprecedented for an NBA player. Only 9 players have been drafted with a negative wingspan since 2000 (that’s when wingspan - height is less than 0, basically having T-rex arms). Only 5 of those guys have stuck in the league for more than a year: Svi Mykhailiuk, Frank Kaminsky, Kelly Olynyk, Mason Plumlee, and JJ Redick. Svi is the only player since 2000 with a -1.75" wingspan.

Seems like Emoni is going to have to turn into a knockdown shooter (or Mason Plumlee).

2 Likes

Was Ty Jerome on that list? Tyler Herro also was negative that year.

With that negative wingspan I dont think he is a lock to be a plus NBA player. High ranked players bust all the time/some not even making the NBA. He has to really show it at the college level the skill aspect because the measurements aren’t working in his favor and his poor aau season didn’t silence any of the critics

1 Like

Kids got a big ego but I do still feel for him. Being an 18 year old and trending nationally because of your wing span. Can’t imagine the mental health issues. A benefit to older generation players where you only had local pressure putting unrealistic expectations on you to exceed.

1 Like

Imma measure my wingspan. Stay tuned

4 Likes

If it ain’t +3’’ your height, retroactively pull your own scholarship please.

4 Likes

Eh his ‘poor AAU’ season is all compared to expectations. Not compared to other prospects. I think if you go back and listen to Gary Parish talk about it on his podcast he gives a pretty good summary. Did Bates look like a number one player in a class? No. Did he look like a 5 star surefire NBA player? Yes.

Different measurements and what not but he plays like cam reddish. He’ll be an NBA player but I dont think he’s a lock for a “plus NBA player”. Easily could be a one contract/journey man career. Still a millionaire set up for life, but in terms of production not a “plus NBA player”.

I think he is a better player than Cam Reddish right now. Reddish kinda sucks. Andrew Wiggins is the comparison I have heard that I think is more accurate.

Nowhere near the athlete wiggins is. One of the best high school mixtapes ever (I remember watching this being amazed. And then being amazed at him squandering his talents at Kansas and in the NBA. Still got the bag though)

Also funny that McKneely is in the same fraternity with Wiggins as being West Virginia Gatorade players of the year. Although McKneely is a true WVian while Wiggins was a Canada import

1 Like

I think Reddish was the one wearing socks walking on the beach on national television in one of the umpteen features espn did of that duke dream team. I knew he wasn’t much good at life right then and there.

2 Likes

Not talking about style of player. Talking about level of play in the league. Not coming anywhere close to the hype but still being an effective NBA player. Just don’t think one contract and out of the league is within the range of outcomes for Bates unless he gets injured. You seem way more down on him than really I’ve seen anywhere else.

Yeah i dont see much in his highlights that show anything other than out skilling and being taller than the person guarding him. I think things change as you step up levels and you play against more player with higher level training, strength and conditioning programs, high er player development. I think he is going to struggle more than some anticipate.

1 Like

I think you think he is going to struggle more than almost anyone anticipates haha

Worth remembering is that Bates got famous because he was amazing at, what, 12?

He was spectacular as a jr high student. He’s still a heck of a prospect, but it’s tough to liv up to those early impressions.

1 Like

Reddish has always sucked

2 Likes

UVA with the big brain moves already having this in place lol.

1 Like