Non VIP- Elijah Gertrude Watch

This is it. X100

1 Like

It’s tough to compare anyone to Malcolm’s peak, his final season was incredible but it was also his fifth after early injuries. I doubt anyone will be around long enough to reach that grown ass man level of Malcolm

4 Likes

Yeah, Malc was a bit of a unicorn the way he stuck around so long. Or at least it will be going forward. The weird foot thing sucked for him, but it kept him here for 5 years.

1 Like

thats what these top 10 type picks are now though. Measurables and athleticism etc. Malcolm was a completely refined and complete basketball player in college. Elijah is gonna get stronger and better at basketball and still be an elite athlete. He should be trying to be an Ivey type. I think Eli may still grow a couple inches as well

8 Likes

oh wow. I dont know what Tahaad can get better at (defense? shooting?). For Haad it is all about how he evolves Elijah can become as good as he wants to be through work and training etc. Very different but if Eli picks UVa and is all in it will be Elijah

5 Likes

Honestly that’s my ‘concern’ about Elijah. That we don’t get his peak value at UVA. With his athleticism he might show enough flashes to leave early before he becomes an every night stud at the college level. Basically what happened with Trey Murphy.

That concern is very real in basketball now for sure. But Elijah is gonna have to be patient and really work, I think. BUT he could just turn into a total star over the next year. Lets see

5 Likes

Do you know what his wingspan is Fresh? From the clips I’ve seen it looks like he has plus wingspan.

2 Likes

dont know the measure but yea, its gotta be plus for a 6-3, 4 guy.

1 Like

I think we *want players that pass through UVA to be the best that they can be, even if it’s not in a UVA uniform. We want them to feel like UVA was able to showcase their skill and thus able to go to the league. Trey Murphy, Dre, Ty, Kyle, Mama-D and others come back through UVA every year and we are able to point directly to them as success stories, and in most cases they didn’t stay all 4 years. In addition it will be natural for players to get better in the NBA- you have to, so we likely will NEVER have a player that tops out at UVa if they have NBA potential.

6 Likes

Thats right. this by definition.

Edit: I think @Hoos9412 deeper point was how the NBA picks guys before they are actually ready based on semi non basketball stuff. So taking TM123 in the first round based on measurables etc was maybe premature based on his college performances, but proved to be the right move

2 Likes

Thanks @Gna2r for starting this thread.

Personally I would be good with just a Gertrude/Buchanan 2023 class following how strong 2022 is. Lot of upperclassmen will be gone after this season so I hope the 2022 frosh who dont get much run this season will be patient as there will be a lot of opportunity the following season.

3 Likes

Oh I don’t think it’s a bad thing in the larger view of things. It wouldn’t a bad problem to have if any of these guys in the 2022 or 2023 classes are ready to go pro early. I’d certainly rather have roster attrition due to guys being good enough for an NBA team to draft them than because they transfer. But it could still create short term problems. And good problems to have are still problems. Could be the difference between a First weekend and Sweet Sixteen, Sweet Sixteen and Final Four, etc. Just a thought on the potential downside on an athlete like Gertrude.

To be clear the positives far outweighs the potential negatives and I’m looking forward to seeing what an athletic guard like Elijah could do under TB!

3 Likes

Yeah Understood! He looks the part but remember someone saying something about his shooting needs work. So maybe he’s here two years?

2 Likes

Yeah - he isn’t a 1 and done. If he was a marksman from deep he would be a 1 and done and headed to not UVA. I think he is pretty raw but hopefully has the physical/athletic tools to get the defense early. Luckily, he doesn’t seem afraid to shoot and the shot looks mostly good (in some videos I’ve thought it looks a little flat but fresh says it looks good in person).

7 Likes

Oh 2 years would be the most likely timeline for him to ‘leave because he flashed but didn’t produce consistently in college’ concern lol seriously doubt he would be ready before then. Only guy I could see conceivably ready to leave after one year would be Dunn if he had a Sochan type of year this year

4 Likes

At his height, though, Elijah will have to really pop to go in 2

3 Likes

Or really just show potential to be a PG. 6’2-6’3 is plenty of positional size there but yea would hold him back if he’s viewed as an off guard.

2 Likes

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

4 Likes

Lots of Fresh quotes in here:

4 Likes