OT: 90’s hip hop/R&B thread…

Man you walked up in here with a mic drop hot take on day one.

Not sure I agree with that bout Tupac. I’ll admit I was never all in on his sound, just wasn’t for me. Rather have the laid back flow of Biggie

Overrated? Crazy. Tribe definitely underrated. I totally slept on them. But Wu what they did business wise is huge, plus the production from RZA is second to none, one of the few original sounds to come out.

1 Like

Definitely original, and I didn’t/don’t hate them…just never really got into their sound. Of the group, Method was who I liked best though.

2 Likes

I can feel that it’s an unique sound and not for everyone. Meth definitely the face of the group due to popularity. But GZA and Ghostface both put out killer albums.

3 Likes

@GulfCoastHoo I did and still definitely think that A Tribe Called Quest was/is underrated. Their records are still great and I listen to them often. I love that era of hip hop.

Yeah, “Tical” is great from Method Man but I also love GZA and “Liquid Swords”. Listened to that a lot in college, 94-98. Quality Wu-Tang albums around then.

2 Likes

ATCQ is legendary and I’ve never thought of them as underrated since they still get so much love and respect to this day. You could argue that Phife was under appreciated compared to Q-Tip but I think the group’s status as all-time great is secure.

I will not hear any Wu-Tang slander though. Never before and never since has there been such a concentration of talent in a single hip-hop group. It’s fair to say that their peak was briefer than ATCQ’s, but 36 Chambers is on the shortest shortlist of greatest hip-hop albums of all-time, and Ghost, Rae, and GZA’s solo albums are up there with the best of the era. Also, if you watched the DJ Premier - RZA Verzuz . . . I don’t think most people know the extent and importance of RZA’s catalogue. In my mind Premier is the greatest hip-hop producer of all time but RZA can match him classic for classic.

3 Likes

To bring it up to date though, anybody else rocking with the Griselda guys? I’m too old to get as hyped about music as I did in my teens but they revived my interest in hip-hop a bit. Not that I ever stopped listening but I wasn’t actively digging for new/recent releases until I started hearing their joints. Not for everybody but kind of a blend of Wu-Tang and Pusha T.

2 Likes

I may have mentioned here before that either the RZA or Drizza family lived in my building for lotta years. His son was my boy and gave my kids numbchucks at age 4. Enough said

3 Likes

Y’all are gonna disrespect Young MC like this?

I’m 48 years old and I swear nothing will get hip hop fans from our era spun up quicker than saying Tupac over Biggie, and Wu was overrated :rofl:

But I was also a fan of grunge during that time, and thought Nirvana was overrated.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Out of the Big 4 from Seattle, they were my #4. Liked Alice In Chains a lot more.

I liked them, just not as much as others.

1 Like

I respect that opinion, just am on the other end of the spectrum. Would probably go:

Nirvana>>>>>>Sound Garden>>>>>>>>>>>>Alice in Chains>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pearl Jam

And beyond Settle area, would probably put STP and Smashing Pumpkins right in that 2/3/4 slot. But overall, my musical awakening came slightly after grunge - Nirvana was the only one that really held a place in my heart. Was much more into late 90’s and 00’s alt rock. That’s my sweet spot.

Someone mentioned earlier Tupac dying young added to his mystique, and I think it’s the same with Cobain. Much more so than Staley or Cornell, who were older. Eddie V is the only one still around.

1 Like

Griselda git me in a cple years ago. Grimy veats real stripped down like Wu Tang. Kinda over the top coke rap and they’re big pro wrestling fans so I’m in.

I also gotta give a shout out to the late 90s rappers who fueled my HS days. Ja Rule Trick Daddy all of Cash Money. In retrospective avg. But man will I get hype if I hear them.

3 Likes

I can’t disagree with that, I just like Nirvana the most musically, and lyrically they were always my favorite by far. But Cobain’s celebrity definitely is a unique thing, and his death definitely played into it.

1 Like

Slightly different topic, but one thing I’d love to see one day is a comparison of rappers money made versus words spoken in songs. I’ve always felt like Lil Jon has to be elite in this category - like on a Kenpom chart he’d be an insane outlier. Look at the cumulative number of words he says in “Yeah!”, “Shots”, “Turn Down for What” etc, versus money made off those hits. Crazy efficiency.

2 Likes

Is this where we talk about Vanilla Ice and Snow? J/k j/k