Other UVa Forums Discussion

Unrelated, but FYI the boomers on that other site are wondering why HGN doesn’t post there and complaining that LRA is difficult to navigate etc. Seriously is the average poster age on TS 70yo? Every time I go to that site I get the ick. It’s like stepping back into the 80s/90s

4 Likes

Thats funny and great to hear for LRA. Also I am not sure a “site” could be easier to navigate than this one but LRA is all I have ever been on so…

10 Likes

One of the latest threads is about it and, no exaggeration, it’s 50 posts deep talking about how old everyone is explaining to each other how to use the LRA forum. Mega cringe. One guy also said LRA “…is a ghost town” and I almost spit my coffee out. Funny stuff. Got to find a way to tap into that community…

giphy

5 Likes

I think I take this a bit personally… should I take this personally?

Also… the irony in how unruly it is to find threads there… compared to here…

@HoozGotNext could even be posting there, but because it is so hard to see the threads, I might not even know it happened!

EDIT: Yes… I believe I’m taking this personally.

12 Likes

Nah. I think the complaints basically boil down to folks who are unfamiliar with the format, and to folks who don’t like wading through so many posts when they first see a thread.**

Some of the stuff is obviously just preference. People who post on the Sabre a lot probably have a preference for that format - that’s one of the reasons they are there!

** I won’t name any names but certain posters think they have to post every thought that pops into their head. :wink:

5 Likes

My issue with The Sabre is that threads don’t consolidate by topic, there will be hundreds of threads started for a single game night (goes for both hoops and football, probably non-rev’s too), whereas here and at 247 everyone sticks to a game thread, meaning if there’s a non-game thread (maybe recruiting or some other news) about the same time it gets completely lost in about 10 minutes’ time because it’s bumped off the page by 50 new threads started in that span that all should be consolidated under one or two headliners.

14 Likes

And despite this preference-sorting, that discussion over there still has many of its own users saying the Sabre’s format sucks.

Because it’s freakin’ awful. My god, it’s a BBS from 1985.

5 Likes

No no - this is not the way … this site is difficult in the same way that going to a Mexican Restaurant and not eating any chips and salsa while waiting for you food is easy.
This site is as difficult as falling off a high wire with no practice.

1 Like

I actually don’t mind TheSabre’s format since I started visiting there before it even was TheSabre. I’m pretty sure that’s where I followed the Ronald Curry recruiting drama as a first year. But whoo boy, those main boards just got too toxic over the years. I’ll still visit the non-revenue sports boards.

8 Likes

All publicity is good publicity… but it has clearly not made a lot of them make an account here over the past few days… LOL!

7 Likes

I remember that time the Cavalier Daily did a feature story on the BBS.

Although BBS used here is a much different context.

Old Farts thread, here we come.

The baseball board on thesabre is still mostly fine despite the format limitations, there’s actual good topics/discussions there.

Main problem I have with that site is more often than not when you do have a good topic thread it gets immediately derailed by either the same arguments between the same people or something that’s not even sports related, like the word association game people play on there. That would be more acceptable if the format handled clutter better instead of just having posts leave the page entirely, I don’t want to have to backtrack to see good posts and sift through off topic stuff just to read the actual topic being talked about.

5 Likes

Yeah, I joined TheSabre in like 2010, and people complained about the interface back then. They haven’t adapted at all.

Even if they just added a faint line to show who’s replying to who (similar to Reddit), it would be a massive improvement.

2 Likes

Does Casey Lambert still post there? His stuff was great back in the day. Nice insights into how Oak, Ks and McMillan operated.

3 Likes

@lodger96 Will respond here, I haven’t seen downward4 post on that board in years to be honest. Not sure what happened. Regardless though there’s still enough die hards and former UVA players that do post who know what they’re talking about.

6 Likes

I hope they don’t change because I think that most people that would use both already do. There are a few people there that just ruin a message board. A format change would be destroying their kingdom and they might finally make the jump.

5 Likes

The Sabre is like a primary source document. You go there for info that drops from sources in the know and then you dip.

4 Likes

Same for me. Don’t visit the main boards on The Sabre except when directed to a post there by someone on LRA, like when CZAR posts something. Have not posted on the main boards in over three years, I think, due to toxic discussions and better content on LRA and other sites. Will visit their non revenue boards though because it’s often the only site discussing UVA lacrosse, soccer, tennis and swim/dive.

11 Likes

The word association game is a bit cringe. Also the same 2-3 gatekeepers constantly accuse people of being hokies in disguise. In terms of real intel and information, LRA is light years ahead of TS. TS to LRA is like FB to Tiktok. They post the same stuff LRA already broke a month prior like it’s breaking news.

3 Likes

Or a new topic gets bumped off the page even if additional posts are under the *same thread (not necessarily a new thread), just due to it taking up real estate.

2 Likes