šŸ€ Outside the ACC - February 2024

Last month of the regular season!

3 Likes

https://x.com/t_oglesby22/status/1752743412921409816?s=46

Lot of discussion yesterday about how the Big 12 is getting so much credit in the NET for crushing cupcakes OOC. All started with this Oglesby tweet. Good example of why including a ā€˜predictiveā€™ element in the sorting tool used for selection is dumb imo

10 Likes

Really getting ā€œthereā€™s no way to solve these problems as long as folks think that letting coaches and ADs set their own schedules is our only optionā€ pilled on this stuff.

If there is no way to have centralized scheduling then everyone is going to hate whatever absolutely fine, unobjectionable metric the math dorks come up with.

Speaking of math dorks taking odd strays, can we please not block k__p__?

k__p__ is a great tool, and a mitzvah for every college hoop fan, and itā€™s weird the obsession some have with pooping on it.

3 Likes

Agreeā€¦ i dont even use it but seeing the censor just looks dumb IMO

Should be good now. KenPom! Say it loud and proud

1 Like

[quote=ā€œhaney, post:3, topic:11882ā€]

:100: mathematical gymnastics to remove confounding variables from the equation so that you can compare teams apples-to-apples will always be a flawed proxy for these teams actually playing one another.

1 Like

I bet ESPN would make a killing by hosting a fantasy sports style draft for non-con scheduling.

Get all the P5 coaches and ADs in a giant room in Vegas for a weekend. Maybe set some loose parameters / negotiate uniform rates for buy games.

Would be very impractical but television gold mine. So basically no reason why it wonā€™t happen.

2 Likes

Gah. In a vacuum, I think UVAā€™s got a solid shot at the NCAAā€™s. 13-7 in the ACC puts the team at 22-9, plus maybe 1-1 in the ACC tournament is 23-10, which isnā€™t fantastic but seems like it should be pretty good.

But now Nebraska goes and beats freaking Wisconsin in OT. Theyā€™re now 16-6, a little ahead of us on KenPom and have wins over Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan State. I still think weā€™ll probably be ok, but the bubble could be pretty tough this year.

2 Likes

This is why Iā€™m voting no on whether weā€™ll make the tournamentā€”the bubble seems quite strong this year. A lot of teams around us already have marquee wins that we havenā€™t had the opportunity to get. Of course thereā€™s still a third of the regular season left, almost all of which is Q1/2 opportunities for us, but I think the path to getting our resume where it needs to be is pretty narrow.

1 Like

Itā€™s still too early to know which teams will actually be on the bubble.

6 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t want to tell anyone who to root for or against. Whatever makes you happy and gets you through the day. But rooting against bubble teams at this point in the year is like hoping that pouring coffee into the ocean will make the ocean warmer.

2 Likes

Terrence Oglesby on X: ā€œI caught a lot of crap for saying I thought the Big XII had gamed the system. These arenā€™t baseless claims. I donā€™t think the league is as good as it has been this season. The reason? They havenā€™t played anyone at all during the nonconference, beat the life out of teams rankedā€¦ā€ / X (twitter.com)>

3 Likes

Damn. Didnā€™t he catch a charge when he was in Blacksburg too?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/aggies-guard-tyrece-radford-arrest-evade-vehicle-18644541.php

Iā€™m sure this belongs in the ā€œTheyā€™re Just Kids Sanctimonious Heroesā€ thread - but is Traudt hurt, or just straight up out of the rotation for Creighton?

Seems like McDermott only trusts 6 guys; even in their 3OT game against Seton Hall, they only played their guys outside of the top-6 a total of 6 minutes.

1 Like

Maybe the quads are the problem?

https://x.com/dadgumboxscores/status/1753110570541445254?s=61

What this is saying is that T-Rank has these two games as equally difficult to win*, but they are far apart in the quads.

*0.42 wins-above bubble means that a bubble-level team would be predicted to lose the game 42% of the time, which gives the value of winning the game for the team.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen the analytical basis for the quad ranges discussed in any detail. Ideally you want games within a given quad to not be too different from each other in difficulty, but thatā€™s tough given how big of a range Quad 3/4 cover.

2 Likes

Has the NCAA shared an analytical basis for the NET or the Quad system? Everything that Iā€™ve seen is really high level, with little to no discussion of how they selected the system thatā€™s currently in place.

There was chatter about adjusting the quads a year or two back, but nothing happened. I think the quads predated the NET, right? Started with the RPI?

As far as I know, the NCAA looks at this stuff but doesnā€™t release anything publicly.

2 Likes

Oh man youā€™re right, itā€™s exactly the RPI quads range (started in 2018), so who knows how they came up with it.

Though before that, they listed RPI top-50 wins and RPI top-100 wins on team sheet, regardless of whether it was home or away, whichā€¦

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

To me, the quads only exist for the sake of the selection committeeā€¦itā€™s really hard to compare with your eyes resumes between teams that have schedules with very different distributions of opponent strength. The NCAAā€™s solution is to layer on various flawed ways of guiding their human committees eyes through a resume. As Iā€™ve soapboxed about before, what if we solve the problem by taking the humans out of it and giving them their weekend back?

4 Likes

Donā€™t expect any big changes but I feel like releasing the actual NET ratings is a small ask that would a big help to hardcore fans making sense of bracketology. When I go to KenPom I can see UVA is about 1.6 points per 100 possessions behind the team ranked 10 spots ahead of us (Oregon). How far are we behind Utah, the team ranked 10 spots ahead of us in the NET? Apparently only AWS knows

3 Likes