🏀 Outside the ACC - January 2024

New Thread - New Year!

1 Like

Going to the Purdue Maryland game tonight with a Purdue pal.

What should my rooting strategy be?

• Wear UVa gear and boo both teams
  • Aggressively support Purdue, trash talk MD fans
  • Observe Purdue analytically, take notes about how to win regular season games
0 voters

Sarcastically praise Matt Painter for being so awesome at winning January games.

5 Likes

And yell at any Peacock production folks for confusing my father.

"So if I take your login, I would have to watch this game on my computer? [sound of utter disgust and befuddlement] "

3 Likes

Blue Cain is an interesting alternative history. Was just perusing his game logs, and wanted to share my ratings of the number of threes he has taken in each power 6 game, using “eyes” emojis:

• Oregon: 7 :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: (3/4 eyes)
  • Wake: 2 :eyes: (1/4 eyes)
  • Miami: 9 :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: (4/4 eyes, a perfect score)
  • Providence: 2 :eyes: (1/4 eyes)
  • FSU: 3 :eyes: :eye: (1.5/4 eyes)
  • GT: 7 :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: (3/4 eyes)

(it doesn’t matter how many he made)

7 Likes

He made 11-30 across those games, for 36.6%
:eyes:

4 Likes

But while we’re talking alternate timelines what about the one where Mamadi missed the shot and we lost to Purdue and never even made a single Final Four under Tony Bennett and now the window for doing so appears to be behind us and we are constantly at each other’s throats

This is why we don’t talk about alternate timelines

pizza fire GIF

6 Likes

Pace adjusted for UVa:

Oregon: 2
Wake: -4
Miami: 3
Providence: -7
FSU: 0
GT: 1

Total 3s if in a UVa uniform: -5

6 Likes

:eyes::eyes:

:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Look I’m a numbers guy. Not an eye emoji test guy. It’s just how I operate.

3 Likes

Big Three come back the next season and we are undefeated leading into tourney play and then … [Haney checks his handy March 2020 calendar] … oh…

3 Likes

At the Maryland game sitting in between a Purdue and Syracuse fan and I’m wearing all Virginia gear. This is weird.

By the looks I’m getting I’ve triggered every kind of fan here.

10 Likes

My main takeaway was that I’m grateful we don’t have Marylands offense. My god.

1 Like

Went to the Georgetown - Creighton game tonight. Creighton was ranked pretty high when I got the tickets, thought it would be nice to go to a stress free basketball game, and tickets 10 rows back from the floor were cheaper than the last row of the upper deck at JPJ on most nights. A few observations about Traudt against a Georgetown team improving but not good (not trying to hate on the kid to be clear and get why he went home). Maybe kind of trying to rile up some of the Traudt fans a bit.

• He had a nice stroke in pre-game. Made almost every 3 I saw in warm ups and prior to the start of the second half. And definitely seems to look stronger than what I would see from those short practice videos.
  • That said, went 0-3 from the field in the game.
  • He is on a tight leash with definitely no green light. Pretty much every time he made a mistake, McDermott pulled him immediately. Only got 8 minutes.
  • Gtown players blew by him at least twice to the basket so I don’t think his defense has improved much from reports from the Blue-White game last year.
  • He would definitely not have solved our rebounding issue. Dude got out rebounded by guys smaller than him a couple of times at least.
  • With the game in hand, McDermott skipped over his rotation (i.e., Traudt and others) and went straight to the walk-ons.

A few other thoughts:

• Trey Alexander definitely, from this game at least, looks like the best player on Creighton. Ability to create for himself was solid.
  • For Georgetown, Rowan Brumbaugh is sneaky good as a point guard. He does not look athletic at all but he generated most of their offense. Redshirt freshman transfer from Texas. I have no clue why Creighton switched Kalkbrenner on him a couple of times and Brumbaugh exploited that mismatch (and some crazy last names right there).
11 Likes

4 Likes

Also this comment may be an argument for the $EC for UVA

2 Likes

Turns out Jamie Kaiser was a huge whiff. These 2022 and 2023 kids have sucked in general. A miracle we are getting any production out of ours.

Can’t tell if its because of COVID taking away development, COVID making it so that (for example) the 2023 class was basically full of 2022 kids who reclassed to get more exposure, or if it’s that college basketball is just older with covid 5th years and fringe nba players staying in college because of NIL and the youngins getting bodied by grown men.

Maybe all 3.

4 Likes

Traudt now at 3 total points over his last 5 games. Woof

5 Likes

Honestly after watching Marylands offense it’s hard to say this about Kaiser.

It’s difficult to tell if they have good or bad shooters. The offense is so anemic - poorly conceived and executed. It needs to have a true floor general but Young is a score first PG. There’s no flow and intention. Guys look confused.

It made me thankful for our offense believe it or not. At least with ours you can see decent looks even if they are stupid long range 2s. Maryland felt like everything was rushed, a half second too late, and so contested.

Kaisers shot form looked decent and he drained two. Overall he seemed like a guy who will probably average 13 ppg his senior year for a decent team.

4 Likes

We are learning a lesson he didn’t: there are more and better fish in the sea.

(couldn’t pass up that opportunity. too easy)

5 Likes