Outside UVA recruiting 2023-2024

Out of all the players you could pull up a photo of to use for your offer, you use a practice photo of the guy who literally just transferred in and hasn’t even played yet… man kids these days just built different I guess. Im waiting for the kid who uses the photo of James Naismith with the peach baskets for Kansas

This kid is probably going to end up at Duke and be the 5th Plumlee brother after Kyle Flipmeoffski

https://twitter.com/eric_reibe/status/1707955750096494900

6 Likes

“After a great call with Tony Bennett and staff, I am blessed to have received an offer from the University of Virginia #gohoos #notcommitted

10 Likes

Should have used this one. So old, just black and white available :rofl::rofl::rofl:

22 Likes

As we all know, color was invented in 1987 probably

What freaks me out is when recruits in their commitment videos post photos of when they were young but the photos are straight up HD and I realize these kids were babies in 2006…

5 Likes

Nothing says early-mid 90s like a hi-top fade, biker shorts, and Fresh about to incept the Fab Five black high-tops craze.

5 Likes

Cooper Flag

Yup just canceled his Kansas visit. Duke Football smashed UConn at his UConn visit. He’s going to commit at their Midnight Madness event

Edit: rumor has it Nike told Adidas to go f&*% themselves here. Not sure if that means Duke or Nike just was like “here’s an incentive to not go Adidas” (since UConn is nike)

3 Likes

Tired Richard Pryor GIF by Turner Classic Movies

3 Likes

Apparently Todd Golden at Florida is God and the answer to his prayers was “Not here you won’t”

More seriously I think this is a good fit for the Hokies. Talent, by any means, is always welcome in the barn over there.

4 Likes

Will say that VT desperately needed a quality frontcourt prospect to commit out of HS. You can only rely on transfers to fill holes in your roster for so long, and they’ve taken a good number of developmental big men who haven’t panned out since MY took over.

1 Like

I have a question. This is me being naive, but what exactly happened with Florida and Jones? Did Florida officially rescind the scholarship offer or was there a conversation between the two parties where Florida let Jones know they were interested in someone else? If the later, what was stopping Jones from just accepting the Florida scholarship anyways because it was offered?

I guess I’m asking, what official and unofficial mechanisms do schools have to keep a kid from accepting a scholarship once it’s been offered?

1 Like

It was pretty clear Jones wanted to go to Florida but wasn’t a take, likely because of his injury history. Their coach is pretty firm on his 5 stars and transfers strategy it seems.

Tech is the pick by default, not that they won’t gladly take it

1 Like

Florida also brought in a bunch of young bigs this past offseason. Transfer center Micah Handlogton is only a rising sophomore and they have two mid/high 3-star bigs in their 2023 class (Thomas Haugh and Alex Condon). It’s possible that they like what they see in those rookies through the summer and don’t feel that they want/need another big man in the '24 class, especially as comfortable as they are using the transfer portal (six transfers taken this offseason, four the previous).

4 Likes

Why am I not shooting?

1 Like

And the under shirt and obligatory knee brace

Also we had black shoes before the Fab 5. Huge misnomer that they “created” everything. Was all just what everyone was doing back then

4 Likes

Ok. I’ve just spent time learning about the fun world of non-committable scholarship offers. I had no idea this was a thing.

So basically, when an athlete receives an “offer” there’s no guarantee that when they “commit” that the “offer” will be valid. It’s like receiving an invitation to a party, but when you get to the party there’s actually a guest list, and depending on who is already in the party, you may or may not get let inside.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think HGN has said something like offers are only fully committable at the moment they are given (and maybe not even then?). Not a legal offer, for sure. I find the etiquette around that stuff pretty interesting.

Look at our PF scholly this year: there was one for Cofie, Hodge, and Punch, and and Cofie grabbed it first. Query whether one of the other two could have committed prior to Cofie’s visit. (my guess is maybe, but probably not). In that vein, I was mildly surprised to find out we didn’t or don’t call the other two and let them know the spot is taken. I can see pros and cons either way, but it does seem like a nice courtesy, and avoids Punch giving confused interviews****… But it also makes me lose a little less sleep** over Kon not calling Tony before committing. If that’s not a courtesy we are giving, then I don’t think we should expect it either.***

** To be fair, I’m losing sleep over much more neurotic things…

*** You’d also think that lack of communication might make some of our fans doubt our staff’s ability to perfectly communicate other things like, for example why a certain player has been benched, but I don’t suppose it will.

**** I should add - maybe that Punch interview was given before Cofie committed. Could be; I don’t know.

3 Likes

I asked that question a couple days ago and HGN said all 3 were a take … it was basically a race on the kids’ side as to Hoo was going to commit first.

4 Likes

Lack of communication has been a complaint from at least two of our outgoing transfers. Maybe more but I remember McKoy and Shedrick. Justification seemed to be mostly ‘that’s how high major D1 ball is’ :man_shrugging: but it does not appear to be a strength of the staff

2 Likes

Depends on how you define communication. Coaches arent necessarily your friends and they are not your parents really either

Some fine lines in there from softball game to practice starting then games

4 Likes