Outside UVA recruiting 2023-2024

For a second I read that as “floor spacing” rather than “roster spacing” and was more confused than when I found out hamburgers aren’t made from pig…

3 Likes

If Rohde is good enough to get drafted after 2 years, then 100% him.

7 Likes

I’m a contrarian’s contrarian, but even I’m gonna go with our guy.

5 Likes

They pretty well knew from the start it wasn’t happening with Punch, just sometimes you don’t vibe with a recruit. It was pretty serious with Hodge. And he was obviously told right away. I think they would have gotten him if Cofie hadn’t jumped right away. And if Hodge had a better July and completely sold himself to TB, they would have managed it so Cofie didn’t have that opportunity to jump first.

I agree if it’s to a point a recruit has scheduled a visit, which technically Punch hadn’t (official visits are never locked in until a week or two before), but still it was planned. But everybody understands when you stop hearing from a coach, it’s over.

20 Likes

So you’re saying @haney is just wrong on this topic, got it.

8 Likes

Only on this one? I will take it!

7 Likes

What happened with Corey Kispert?

1 Like

He claimed that Tony told him he wasn’t good enough to play at UVA. I have a vague memory that Kispert later admitted that didn’t actually happen, but not 100% sure about that part. I think the initial story came out after Kispert lit us up during the weird Covid season.

2 Likes

It was a lie. Kispert exhibiting zero class:

5 Likes

Wish we played them when Ty was on our team

10 Likes

The Kispert thing was weird because it didn’t matter if UVA wanted him, he was still going to Gonzaga. He decided in April that he wanted to go take official visits to schools who up until that point hadn’t even evaluated him, UVA and Notre Dame. Basically he just wanted to see other schools so he could feel good about committing to Gonzaga.

So he visited. Then the following weekend during the spring live period, Ron Sanchez went out to Seattle and evaluated him. Kispert played for Seattle Friends of Hoop, a very small time local program, who only played in regional events. Same program Joe Harris played for, thus the connection. But it means a special trip, and Tony didn’t even go…he sent Sanchez. After that, they decided to pass on him. That’s the whole story, lasted like a week and a half.

18 Likes

Now we know!

It was obnoxious but when you realize the whole story, it’s kind of funny. He did an interview where he admitted he did it purely to pump up Timme(because he’s an absolute psycho).

He also added in the interview that what made the fake story ironic was the fact that Tony Bennett is the nicest guy in the world.

So is it a little obnoxious and unnecessary? Yeah. But he’s been transparent about it and praised the character of Bennett. So I no longer have bad blood about it.

3 Likes

I never understand the need for so many athletes to make up stuff for motivation. When I used to kick people’s ass in Tecmo Super Bowl, I didn’t make up disrespectful quotes they said. I would just run up the score for no specific reason.

13 Likes

Like I said, I wish Kispert played against Ty Jerome and said some shit like that

14 Likes

I just lost all distaste for the guy. Dude was doing something he thought would benefit his team. I’m cool with that.

Oops. He was pretty good.

3 Likes

Transfer window cut down from 60 to 45, not 30 as expected

https://twitter.com/ncaa_pr/status/1709553711305855229?s=46&t=Y9ZJTUudJiFOC0Ajwlmckw

2 Likes

I truly don’t understand why the different parties want what they want, but I guess the NCAA liked 45 days but the basketball players wanted 30?

https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1709627329981346052?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

https://twitter.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1709627165015224651?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

I don’t understand who a longer or shorter window really benefits, but it is interesting that there were differing opinions in that way.

1 Like

Unless they’ve changed it so that date applies to grad transfers, who cares. Those are the ones who drag on and become suddenly available in June.

3 Likes

Hopefully the effect of grad transfers wanes a bit with the end of the covid 5th year (two more years though – this one and next).

I think coaches wanted a tighter timeline for planning purposes and stability purposes and my wife wants to go on vacation purposes. You can imagine that the players might want more flexibility (a longer window) but Norlander says the hoops players were okay with 30. But the SAAC, which seems to be a committee of various types of athletes, was pushing for 45. Not sure if Baker pushed for 45 because of that or for some other reason.

Apparently Henry Coleman is the men’s hoops rep on the SAAC. Which really begs the question … (ok ok I’ll hold off until our game)

5 Likes