Outside UVa Recruiting

Had kinda forgotten, but Withers had an odd period where he wound up in Chris Mack’s doghouse and didn’t play much. That was weird.

1 Like

Wait will they? I guess Ellis coming back and then Clark adding to it.

It’s hilarious going to their 247 page and seeing that they are somehow adding 3 more small forwards and a big to this team. You guys have enough of those! Pick the guys who can dribble and pass the ball.

2 Likes

Interestingly he has two years left. Do wonder if we reach out.

He still shows flashes where you are like damn he could be REALLY good. But nothing consistent.

I will remember his dunk on Huff though.

Initial reach out and then you see where the roster stands after this week.

2 Likes

I think what makes Withers intriguing is that he has embraced/is okay with playing small ball 5 despite being more of a wing.

But he could also be looking for an opportunity to be a wing LOL. Like others above said, depends on what he is looking for, and also how we will use Dunn and Bond

1 Like

I really liked his freshmen season play, where he was basically a mobile big man, scoring mostly off of assists. I haven’t enjoyed his dabbling as a wing, as his turnover rate went way up and his efficiency has gone down as he has tried his hand at shot creation.

2 Likes

Can withers play 3? Or is he strictly a 4?

1 Like

a 4/5.

If we do contact, I would show him Trey Murphy tape on how we would use him. Of course sorta different players but overlaps in the roles and some of the skills.

Saw Huff, Gardner, McKoy, and Trey Murphy follow him on social media (probably the north carolina connection).

2 Likes

Got it. Yeah, I’d rather have a bouncy 4/5 to compliment Traudt.

If Armaan moves on, a 6-7 wing who can hit an open shot would be nice. I know he’s a 5 star but a Mark Mitchell type from Duke would be a good addition or a Jordan Miller type from Miami, I thought he was really good for them.

1 Like

So far from what I read, the UL departures so far have been what is expected. Sky Clark coming in paired with Ellis could be an intriguing backcourt. James is a good player, Hatfield and Traynor ares solid role players and they have 3 top 70 recruits coming in. Plus who knows who else is coming in off the portal.

I expect they should be improved maybe .500. But will UL fans be ok with that? He needs some serious good mojo next year even if they arent a tourney team.

2 Likes

Withers reminds me of VJ King in that he was a highly regarded recruit who didn’t improve in his time at Louisville.

3 Likes

The question is what does the young man want to do now?

He’s presumable gotten the short term bag. Logically securing the long term bag (skills development, and showcasing) should be his priority. Hope that he has a good team helping him figure that out.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/aidanalperstein/status/1637945532864929793

3 Likes

Lol, he works fast. Assume he was set to go to Providence.

1 Like

Apparently not yet. Lumpkin says he hasn’t committed. Deleted tweets all over. Can’t remember the last time I saw that. That’s like 101, commitment stories come directly from the player only.

*Also I’d be willing to bet a large sum he goes to Georgetown. It’s just funny.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1637958155329060865

4 Likes

This entire start of Cooley to G’Town has been such a shitshow. Really didn’t expect this.

3 Likes

Lumpkin realized he had lost his NIL leverage so he’s now uncommitted.

1 Like

I haven’t followed that one. What’s the deal? Is it because he left providence for Gtown?

Lampkin portalling while his team is in the round of 32 trying to get to the Sweet 16 … teammates were like … don’t let the door hit ya.

3 Likes

Just saw on the UNC board that their top 2024 recruit (5 star Ian Jackson) may flip to St. John’s. He’s from NYC.

6 Likes