Outside UVa Recruiting

I’m just confused as to why you don’t think they will have sustained greatness. They’ve hired talented coaches, throw substantial amounts of money at the program, and occupy fertile recruiting grounds. They have the formula

4 Likes

Well, I gave the reasons above. They’ve been rich with football money forever, they’ve had the same recruiting area, and they’ve never sustained greatness before. It comes and goes. The last guy to win back-to-back natties was Billy Donovan. But where is he now and where is Florida? If you want to believe that Musselman and Oats are the second comings of Coach K from Army, then go right ahead. I just don’t see them winning titles with one-and-dones and then sticking around for very long as the guy who entertains the fan base until Spring football starts.

2 Likes

I have a question then. If the SEC is not where college basketballs power lies in the future then where does it lie?

It comes and goes, but the B1G is best positioned IMO. Wasn’t it like a year or two ago that they had half of the top 10? SEC may be really good too. I just don’t expect it to last.

1 Like

I mean in my mind you can lump the two together. Those two are going to leave the rest of the power conferences in the dust once they sign their new deals. Talking about making twice as much per school as the ACC and Pac 12. Maybe 3x as much as the Texas and Oklahoma-less Big 12. UVA, UNC, and Duke (can add Louisville if they ever clean up their mess) will be fine but it’s going to be a struggle for the middle of the ACC.

2 Likes

This. The issue is the money. Those two conferences are pulling away from everybody else and investing it in sports besides football (because they just are making that much money). The PAC is behind too, but they at least have a geographic footprint that is fully their own, which the ACC does not.

2 Likes

Hopefully this means they leave London Johnson alone if we push for him as our pg. UNC mod said it was a one or the other situation (their fans wanted London Johnson since he’s a Charlotte native).

2 Likes
3 Likes

Syracuse as well. Someone I was initially hoping we would recruit when UVA was mentioned. But to be blunt, I would take Ryan Dunn and Leon Bond 40 times out of 10 over Chris Bunch and Justin Taylor.

2 Likes

Who do all these kids commiting to Cuse think they’ll be playing for in two years? Or is it just the lure of upstate NY

5 Likes

Boeheim seems to be saying he’s going to keep coaching for a while. My guess is he wants to chase down Coach K’s win total.

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Boeheim was pretty clear he’s not ready to retire on the field of 68 preseason podcast. He also seemed confident in the succession plan when he does step away. So guess they feel good about either Autry or McNamara.

2 Likes

How close is he to the record? 1, 2 or 5 seasons away? Either way I think he has the ability to retire when he wants.

1 Like

This sports reference link has Coach K at 1170 and Boeheim at 1083. You figure K retires probably retires just under 1,200 and Boeheim gets over 1,100 this year, he’s like 100 back, so maybe 4 to 5 seasons? That said, I’m not sure if that total accounts for whatever amount of wins Boeheim technically had taken away by the NCAA.

3 Likes

Interesting, so Boeheim has a pretty big hike to go. 4/5 years is a long time, that’s long enough that his retirement could get interesting.

1 Like

982, minus the 101 vacated wins. Of course, maybe Boeheim doesn’t recognize that, and just wants more than K by his count.

4 Likes

Yeah, getting to 1200 from 1083 is doable, albeit difficult especially since he’ll be at least 80 if he gets there. Getting there from 982 just isn’t plausible.

6 Likes

Agree, 982 I don’t see him reaching 1200 considering 20-25 wins a year is the best he does given 'Cuse current trajectory .

4 Likes

So CJ Fredrick from Iowa and 5 star 2021 recruit Damion Collins went to Kentucky to come off the bench? wild.

2 Likes

Bagz and NIL promises…#gettinitdun

2 Likes