Perspective and expectations

Maybe it’s the bourbon and a boring Super Bowl, but as I am rewatching the Purdue game, I’ve had a revelation. I remember well the Pitt game and Malcolm’s shot. I remember explaining to my wife that she just didn’t understand, we always lost these types of games. Things just happened. The other team snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. But ever since that game, I somehow expect Virginia to win these last minute, close games. I’m truly surprised when we don’t.

12 Likes

Underrated turning point. Probably more so for fan psychology than the team who was already there. But yeah remember it well. Like oh damn this is real. We might win the ACC.

8 Likes

Man I forgot about that game. I was so hyped afterwards. Totally agree it was the beginning of a shift in how I viewed Virginia basketball. Those are the moments that I always felt lile the Hoos hit the banana peel. And to step over it for once felt huge

3 Likes

the darius shot vs wake and dre’s shot vs louisville topped it all…

7 Likes

Those games were incredible and that’s sort of my point. Those games, the tournament run, last year against UNC, VPISU, heck even this year against San Francisco. I expect to win those games now, and that feeling began with that Pitt game.

4 Likes

The Louisville finish with 7 points in 10 secs or whatever it was. Insane

3 Likes

Just watched that Pitt highlight - LOL at the commentator saying that was the first FG in over 8 minutes. Hanging on to win after long scoring droughts seems to be the full picture of the new UVA way - I’ll take it! Better than the alternative (the ol’ Cavalier choke).

4 Likes

That clip really is fun to watch.

However, I can’t help but notice that there’s 8 seconds to play, score is tied at 45, UVA is shooting like crap, Tobey (edit: and Gill, too, I just realized. I thought it was Akil at first) is on the floor, and they don’t even try to get the ball inside. I’m not sure anyone from UVA even goes inside the 3p line until Brodgon shoots, and then its just to hopefully get the board if he misses.

I mean, obviously it worked out great and was a legendary moment, but they certainly did not go for it the easy way.

Edit2 - Looking back over the roster, that was one heck of a good team.

2 Likes

Good points - but think of every iconic last second moment for us under the Bennett era. Aside from Mamadi’s miracle against Purdue, can you think of one that wasn’t a bomb from 3? Even when we’re tied or otherwise only need a 2 to win/tie. It’s clearly the way Tony dials up last second wins.

1 Like

Wasn’t last second but the go-ahead bucket in OT against Purdue from Dre that nobody remembers was a dribble drive from the FT line. But yea Bennett definitely likes to draw specific stuff up rather than say hey you go get us a bucket.

5 Likes

I flew into Cville for the game against Syracuse that was to decide the ACC in 2014.

Couldn’t swing tickets to JPJ but Boylan was rocking. Was one of my favorite games looking back at things now.

4 Likes

Yes – I think there’s a Hunter Exception to the general rule. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To me (and I expect a lot of people), that was THE game. ACC title on the line, it seemed impossible (Cuse was looking a little shaky, but like 2-3 weeks before they’d been undefeated and UVA hadn’t even been in the top 25) but UVA had an actual chance at winning the ACC. My wife and I looked into getting tickets but they were pretty steep so we ended up watching the game on TV at home. We got more and more excited as the game went on, reminding each other there was still plenty of time for things to go wrong, or Cuse to mount a big comeback. But finally, just under 5 minutes to go, Harris hits the 3 that puts UVA up by 12 or so and my wife looks at me and says “They’re going to do it, aren’t they?”

With about a minute to go, the TV had what was (until the Championship run) my all-time favorite college basketball visual, ever. It wasn’t even a play. With about a minute to go, Anderson had hit a couple free throws after being fouled to put UVA up by 15 and the refs were briefly talking about something before letting Cuse inbound the ball. Harris, Brogdon and London are all just waiting around the half-court line for the refs.

Harris looks at Brogdon, and slowly this huge grin starts spreading across his face. You can see Brogdon fight it for a second, but then a huge grin breaks out on his face as well, and then finally London. And the three just stand there for a minute, grinning these huge grins at each other. It was like “We did it. We really f-ing did it.”

Winning the Pitt game showed they could do it. The Cuse game showed they had done it, and there’s been no turning around since then.

13 Likes

I love those plays they come up with. The decoy and initial screener peeling off for the shot

3 Likes

Malcolm’s over the shoulder shot against Duke to take the lead and ultimately win the game (you’ll never convince me otherwise) comes to mind.

6 Likes

I was at the gym, and even though we were contending for the ACC title, the game was not being televised - which still happens and I don’t understand why (well actually I do, but that is just the world we live in: $$$ is their god)
I ran to the car to listen to the end of that Pitt game - jumped in my car and a few people I am sure thought I was crazy - BTW my workout ended up much better

5 Likes

I remember all those games well. The Cuse game, I was alone in my apartment and jumping all around. Apparently my downstairs neighbor complained to the landlord too, but nothing ever came of that. I’ve had season tickets and no downstairs neighbors since.

3 Likes

I remember @brogdonfanpage getting tickets to Syracuse vs. UVa for his 11th birthday. (His parents knew someone who knew someone . . .) Quite an excited young man!!

4 Likes

I watched that game from a hotel room in Raleigh NC walked off the pitch and right to the hotel still in my gear. That was our welcome to the big leagues party

1 Like

The game that made me a dedicated UVA Bball fan was Sean Singletary’s last second fade away over Duke at the JPJ. My uncle gave away his tickets to me and my little brother because he thought it was going to be a beat down. Got to sit with my grandfather who used to be the stat guy for the radio Color Commentator during the Terry Holland days. So he would even travel with the team. Wish I got more stories from him.

7 Likes