Pittsburgh game thread

Good chance they make the madness if they win tonight… and they know it… and it took nuclear Reece to beat them last year.

1 Like

Resume isn’t anything to write home about, but they really do a broad spectrum of things pretty well. That’s backed up by some of the advanced metrics. It doesn’t feel like they are flukey.

1 Like

71 NET, 66 Kenpom. Nah, looked at their schedule and see they only play us, Duke and VT once. Soft schedule, limits their opportunities for Q1 wins and they lost all of their potential non con good games in Mich, WVU, Vandy and VCU. They’d need a really good acc record to get in and probably need to win 2/3 games mentioned above.

1 Like
1 Like

what I hope happens tonight, guys pulling up from 30ft and draining. Maybe our best shooting night ever, looked so confident

2 Likes

If we can avoid a Michigan/Miami 1st half result, then I think we will wear them down and pull away in 2nd half. Kind of think that about all of our remaining games

7 Likes

Hey, it’s better than the high of minus four during the vortex…

On the plus side, it’s going to be a great ski season!

2 Likes

I went to grad school at Syracuse and watched this with some grad school friends.

It was … so glorious.

4 Likes

I think TB loves seeing it this way. Virginia wearing teams down. I agree with you on the formula for sure

2 Likes

Right up @jazznutUVA s alley here haha

4 Likes

To me this sort of feels like our home game against Wake last year. When you look back at the conference Ws and Ls this could decide a lot.

If you recall, Wake came in as surprising riser. Well experienced. We dropped that game at home despite playing them closely. May have been the difference in our tournament resume. Definitely had an impact on the standings.

Different styles of play of course, but to @HoozGotNext’s point earlier, this could have a real impact in the ACC standings come end of year.

2 Likes

The answer is… you mostly lose touch with all your favorite teams… but it has become much easier over my time over here with the advent of mainstream online streaming, ACC network & ESPN buying up many sports networks over here in different countries as well as better online communities like LRA.

Still… I have to triage which ones are important and those are the ones you lose sleep over…

My lose sleep teams have consistently been…

1. Virginia men’s basketball
  2. Phillies playoff games (my grandfather was a scout for the Phillies for 25 years)(also… it hasn’t mattered much over the past 10 years other than this year)
  3. Possibly a Philly NFL or NBA playoff game… possibly…

@BDragon don’t hate me because I’m a Philly fan… LOL!

Edit: I’ll stay up for a UVa football game if it is important too… but its only been the past 5-years where I can consistently get all the basketball and football games at all…

7 Likes

That’s my point … if they win tonight they’ll already have 1 of those 3 wins … and they’ll be 20% of the way through the ACC schedule without a loss … The point is they know this game is HUGE for them …

Fair enough that’s a good reason I suppose.

3 Likes

@BDragon as a caveat and just an interesting FYI… on his death bed… my grandfather talked to me about two things…

1. Did I ever find his shoe? (I lost his shoe on a trip to Niagra Falls when I was a kid and he never let me forget it)

2. Why didn’t he argue harder w/ Bill Giles (the owner at the time) to not trade Rhyne Sandberg to the Cubs? He was a scout until his dying breath… LOL!

9 Likes

Schedule for an OCONUS UVa fan tonight…

1. Going to bed at 9 PM tonight to get up for tip-off at 3 AM…

2. Back to bed at 5 AM after the game is over for another wake-up at 0630 AM…

3. Take kids to school at 0730…

4. Attempt to stay awake for work.

14 Likes

LRA forum keeps you up til 5:30 sometimes am sure!

4 Likes

Oh man that is too cool. Love hearing stories like that and have nothing but admiration for his dedication.

Also shoutout to your dedication for maintaining that viewing schedule. Who knew your military training would come in hand for watching Virginia basketball.

3 Likes

Pitt isn’ that scary. Of the 3 ACC wins, 2 were by 2 points and the other (@NC St) was by 8. State shot 6-27 from 3 and 12-19 at the FT line. Syracuse shot 6-22 from 3 and 16-25 from the line. Carolina went 7-22 from 3 while Pitt went 17-21 from the FT line and Burton went 14-17 from the field. Not exactly dominant efforts.

Burton is having a great 5th season campaign so far - he’s shooting 57.4% from the field and 43.5% from 3, both marks being waaay above his historic averages. Hopefully, Reece!! is 90% or so and can lock him up/slow him down (Kihei is too small and IMac too inexperienced). Throw Armaan and Dunn at him for a change of pace. Hit some early 3s, make our FTs (which has been worrisome of late) and this shouldn’t end up being close. Of course, those are famous last words.

3 Likes

Not to downplay Pitt or the importance of this game for us, but it’s a sad statement on the ACC that we’re treating this Pitt game as a Really Tough One. Pitt is roughly #70 in NET, KenPom, and Torvik. They’d be the 12th best team in the Big Ten. And yet this game nevertheless really is one of the toughest games on our conference schedule. (@Pitt is one of only 5 KenPom “A” games for us in all of conference play.)

Which is partly what makes it so important. We’re not playing 10 tough games and can go 6-4 and still look great. We only have a few shots against decent squads so we have to win them.

2 Likes