Postseason Basketball Non-UVA thread

Yep, the refs let them “play”.

2 Likes

What the ACC says about us lol

3 Likes

Not like that - if Huff played 50% as physical as Timme in the ACC he’d be on the bench with 3PF before the 1st TV timeout.

Seeing the development of Mark Williams at Duke really has me wondering how Coach K will build his program in the future. I saw Williams play since 9th grade and at no time did I see him as a viable duke player. He wasn’t built for their high octane style and would continually be recruited over by the one-and-dones.

This down year at Duke - due to some recruiting missed, an early departure, and un-one-and-done-like play - has forced K to play Williams and let him develop. It’s having really impressive results. The guy is poised to be a beast if he continues this trajectory. I would think the Duke coaches find it really satisfying to build a high performance race car rather than just borrow the keystone to a new one every year. If they keep these guys and keep building with 2-4 year guys, they could get back to the Final 4 ways IMO. Not sure which way K will go or if he has the years left and patience to build and develop.

You stay classy ND. Glad those Catholics didn’t let the convicts get the best of them…

4 Likes

There isn’t a ton of incentive for Coach K to return to the development route right now. By the time those 2-4 year guys get there he may be well ready to retire. And he’s had plenty of great teams since going all in on one and dones. They were one Grayson Allen shot from making a final four and the Zion team was probably the best team we played the year we won our natty. This “OAD doesn’t work” narrative is so bizarre

2 Likes

Speaking of development, what are your thoughts on Whitt? Carson is probably looking at him with an eyebrow raised.

2 Likes

i mean, wouldn’t Carson be doing just as much if he was on Wake? He knew coming to a top tier program that he wouldn’t get minutes like Whitt would at a complete and total rebuild. on top of that he had the injury to recover from, and knew he was a potential redshirt (before the COVID rule made that moot)… I would think he’s pretty content.

also, they aren’t really the same player, right? Whitt’s best-case comp is (in my opinion) a poooooor-man’s Ty Jerome as a PG. Carson would be more of a Kyle Guy prototype, though it’s not 1:1 (based on what I watched last night, Cormac Ryan at ND? to be not completely race-driven, also would say someone like Kenny Williams at UNC, great shooter and solid athlete).

2 Likes

Whitt has really surprised me. Comes in late for a free year and immediately makes an impact. Playing without fear. I’ve been impressed

I think Whitt has been OK given the circumstances (late start, bad team), but he is at more TOs than assists, shooting 29% from 2 and 33% from 3, and has shot 7 total FTs on the season. Again, not saying he’s bad, but the statistical profile hasn’t been impressive, even for a freshman.

2 Likes

Plays with no fear when I have seen him. That much is impressive considering things for sure

5 Likes

I think impact is a bit of an stretch. He’s been helpful, but WF is awful.

Yeah I feel bad for him because he probabaly could have gone to a Big 10 school or something, but maybe due to the Pandemic decided to stay home and therefore is at Wake.

So… UVa matches up better with Syracuse than NC State?

I’d say State, despite the fluke loss. Syracuse has more dangerous shooters

1 Like

I honestly have no idea who I’d rather play. Almost certainly I’ll feel whatever team loses this games was definitely the one we wanted though.

I guess I lean slightly toward Syracuse. They do have better shooters, but their shooters aren’t terribly consistent and they are much less able to attack Huff down low. Hauser should also theoretically be able to get a good number of threes and mid range shots against that zone, and their guards are a little less capable of harassing our guards than NCST’s. But who knows. I’ll change my mind in five minutes probably.

3 Likes

Buddy B is currently unconscious from 3.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s feeling it. Little surprised just how much NCST is struggling to penetrate the zone at all. Getting almost no looks at the rim.

I think Cuse is the better matchup. TB is usually able to find a zone solution when he has the shooters. Reece shut down Buddy last time, as he gets around screens well.

1 Like

Not a huge deal, but refs messed up time at the end of the half. Shot clock violation happened with like 2.2 seconds left, but refs let clock run to 0.5 after violation so NCST had no real time for a shot. Unless I just totally missed something. But that shouldn’t be something they mess up.