šŸ—ŗ Potential ACC Expansion & Conference Realignment

That online program makes them a pile of $$$ā€¦

2 Likes

Lots of ways to measure wealth for colleges, but as a private not for profit university, they have the free cash flow to do a lot. Iā€™m not a fan to be sure, and maybe the new administration doesnā€™t have the will Jr had, but if LU wanted to expand to a 60,000 seat stadium, it would be done in no time. They have one of the best indoor track facilities in the country. Money is no deterrent.

1 Like

These are impressive for a profit-making university, but once again the numbers pale in comparison to the endowments of most top universities like UVa, Michigan, Vanderbilt, etc. To give you an idea, UVa is, I believe, in the middle of a $5 billion capital campaign which when reached (goals arenā€™t announced in most cases until a reasonable portion of the money has already been raisedā€“rather weird, I admit) would almost double their endowment. There definitely are some Big 5 conference schools (Maryland and the University of Arizona, for example) that have very low endowments, but they are the exception.

In terms of raising money for athletic facilities, it didnā€™t take UVa long to raise the $125 million for JPJ or the $60 million to expand the football stadium.

No doubt, especially measuring endowments, Liberty isnā€™t up to par with the major colleges. I think they are 40th or so in terms of endowment size for private universities. Perhaps the most impressive thing is most of their growth has happened in the last 10 years. They have spent themselves into national rankings in football, baseball, softball, and are close in basketball. All Iā€™m saying is they can and are spending their way to national relevance athletically. Again, Iā€™m no fan, just saying they canā€™t be discounted.

3 Likes

Wonā€™t argue with that. The change in the last decade has been impressive

2 Likes

Do we have any protection from ND basically pulling a Texas and drilling us in the back of the head?

If Notre Dame joins a conference before 2036 it is obligated to join the ACC. But this is America and we have lawyers for that sort of thing. Also contracts were made to be broken.

1 Like

Their facilities are nicer than 60 -70 % of ACC member facilities.

1 Like

We need to get dirt on the Pope. Itā€™s our only chance.

Some folks in the soon to be defunct big 12 are claiming the Acc is courting Oklahoma State

2 Likes

Iā€™d rather add Temple

Wut? That makes less sense thanā€¦ most things.

3 Likes

Okie State makes no sense and back to my point yesterday I donā€™t think they bring much of any value to the market.

That said if the Big12 is done Iā€™m not sure what happens to Okie St and TT. Both are big schools big money big fan bases and have invested heavily in multiple major sports programs.

3 Likes

I mean it was only two tournaments ago the ACC had three 1 seeds and won the national title. Remains to be seen if the last couple of years are just part of the natural cyclical nature of sports or the start of a trend.

3 Likes

Fran doesnā€™t seem to know what the word ruin means. One down year hardly equates to destruction

3 Likes

UVA UNC Clemson Georgia Tech and Notre Dame make 20 in the B1G. Just saying. The ACC doesnā€™t really do much for us anymore athletically or academically.

More importantly it would abandon Duke to a lesser basketball conference which would help us in recruiting Caleb Foster, and of course decision of this grandeur should be made for the sake of one recruit

1 Like

Man, we are going to be left behindā€¦ I now think we need to be proactive and reach out to a major conference.

If we leave the ACC I will not like it at all

10 Likes

Yeah but the general consensus is we are going to stay on the sinking ship since we are a 'founding member" or whatever and the traditionalists are in charge of making the move.

I will miss the ACC but B1G = better football and basketball games and more money/resources for the school.