🗺 Potential ACC Expansion & Conference Realignment

Yeah I would prefer to stay in the ACC, especially since we are *probably the class of it-basketball wise. We could also end up in a Villanova situation which is a *fantastic bball program and football is average. However the rest of our sports may suffer as well ie: not being able to compete against Clemson and FSU baseball or LAX, soccer etc.

Me either… But, then I remember there are 4 freaking teams from NC in the conference… That’s just ridiculous.

1 Like

Ha. I dont hate Carolinas but Pitt and BC in ACC my goodness man

2 Likes

It’s painful to think the ACC as we know it is about to die. But then again the ACC that I truly knew and loved died a long time ago. UVa needs to make the best financial decision possible. UVA brings academics talented non-revenue sports and a great basketball team. Those are all solid to decent bargaining chips but nothing that’s going to make anyone jump. Hoos need to grab a hold of of the best financial offer possible.

11 Likes

Honestly NIL could save the ACC. The biggest factor in conference is revenue, and football brings in all the money. Miami and FSU have huge NIL appeal which could vault their programs back into national relevance like they should be, which would in turn really help out the ACC unless they try to jump ship. Key is getting ND. Those 3 + Clemson could mean a perennial contender or two if they’re where their programs should** be

2 Likes

best plan for the B1G is to let FSU and Clem leave the ACC but the ACC keeps their media rights. Then the B1G merges with most of the remaining ACC and keeps FSU and Clem rights until 2036.

1 Like

If CU and FSU leave for the SEC, ESPN is going to broker a deal to pay off the GOR since they control the media rights of both conferences. They’re not going to get outmaneuvered by the B1G and FOX.

1 Like

@Mikeysurf called this like a month ago on another board lol.

I still want to be in the B1G. More money, ESPN will keep pimping out UNC and Duke, and less boring games against clemson, boston college, wake forest, pitt, etc.

3 Likes

Schools from these three conferences share a lot in common!

3 Likes

Yeah… ummm…I am not seeing how the ACC has lots in common with a Pac12 school… other than some sort of academic standing…

2 Likes

The Giant 42(?)! Kinda rolls off the tongue. With East/Central/West divisions already set.

4 Likes

AAU membership, academics, non-revenue excellence, academics, and did I say academics! :joy::rofl: Notre Dame is committed to scheduling USC and Stanford as well as their new commitments to schedule ACC foes!

6 Likes

You want Notre Dame? Now you are finding dialogue and ways to intrigue the Domers, which in turn triggers a new TV contract!

2 Likes

It’s about time for the Power Five conferences to break with the NCAA.

3 Likes

ACC, B1G & Pac-12 view maintaining control and influence of key decisions from the SEC as having enough in common to build an alliance. Each view’s the SEC as the biggest threat to retaining intercollegiate sports as we know it.

Do not look at this alliance from the lens of being a de-facto conference member, but as a voting bloc of common interests. Especially with NCAA governance changes ahead, expansion of college football playoffs, NIL rules/regulations, additional decisions on autonomy for Power conferences that may impact basketball and other sports, etc.

ACC, B1G & Pac-12 want to ensure the SEC is unable to tip the scales in its favor. Therefore, it is in B1G’s self-interest to keep a financially viable ACC/Pac-12. ACC is the beneficiary of having Jim Phillips as commissioner, a person that is well-known and tremendously respected throughout B1G circles. Doubtful this alliance could have happened for the ACC with Swofford, viewed by the B1G as an SEC ally. Plus, B1G has been a strategic football partner with what is now the Pac-12 for over a century.

With B1G TV deal up for renewal in 2023 between Fox Sports, ESPN, and possibly, CBS (they lost SEC top game of the week to ESPN), there may be an added piece for a special schedule of games between these 3 conferences that can be leveraged. This would be an invaluable trade for the B1G to include in its negotiations, in return for a voting bloc alliance.

Carla Williams will be part of a working group of 3 ADs from each conference to determine how this alliance will be structured. Stay tuned.

13 Likes

Wow this is getting exciting now. I’d love to fly out to the West Coast for a mini vacations and check out some games etc.

3 Likes

Will ESPN allow this though? Pac12 and B1G are mostly fox games. Bilas was hinting at ESPN trying to get the SEC and ACC to team up since ESPN has a stronger foothold in those conferences.

Ah that’s the flex point. ESPN/SEC can conceivably break the alliance by making Charlotte an offer they can’t refuse. It should be an interesting couple of months. In the Chinese curse kind of way.

1 Like

If ESPN’s willing to pay the ACC more, everything’s on the table. Otherwise the ACC has to look out for its own survival.