šŸ—ŗ Potential ACC Expansion & Conference Realignment

I forgot to add Tulane. They are already an AAU member. However, there would have to be a major commitment to fund their athletic program, especially football.

1 Like

Texas is the answer. If the ACC decides to sell out to bring ND into the mix, they might as well double down and do it with Texas. Give them both a grace period of revenue higher than the rest of the conference and appeal to both universities that the academic network will outweigh the athletic network. Itā€™d be an ugly 5 years or so, but the overall revenues for the conference will skyrocket with both fan bases in the fold.

Oh, and let the SEC pick up Oklahoma and SEC/Big10 fight over the dregs. Eventually, we will be getting to 16 team super conferences like Maine said earlier, but itā€™ll never be so neat geographically. Texas and ND will see the light where they can enter a conference as football powerhouses who can compete with only a few other teams for the championship. Not possible in the SEC or B1G for either team, imo.

2 Likes

Never thought about Nova, but if they bumped football to D1, what a great call!

3 Likes

I have always preferred Texas, and know there was some interest at one point. However, I would like to grow to a super conference of maybe 24 teams with pods.

With an investment in football, Villanova would be awesome. Convince West Virginia to join and they would be two great additions.

1 Like

That would be awesome if they could bring in Texas. But Texas damn near broke the Big12 thanks to their TV deal. I donā€™t know how the ACC could float Texas and ND with the extra amounts both would want to skip out on their tv deals.

I do think you and Maine are 100% correct that we are moving to an Elite conference of 15-20 teams. The drama surrounding the Big10 and Pac12 this year and the SECā€™s willingness to move forward with a season showed thereā€™s an desire for one and Those schools will learn from their experience testing their conference rules this year.

2 Likes

I think Texas and Notre Dame should just split off, form their own conference, and play only each other every game.

I think Penn State and Maryland should do the same thing.

And Virginia Tech and Liberty should also do the same thing.

4 Likes

If Norte Dame were to play for Championship this year, there will be more pressure than ever to join a conference.

Possible. Otherside to that coin is ND plays Clemson in the ACC championship and loses. Missing out on the playoff. Proving they shouldnā€™t join a conference becaause being forced into that extra game is unnecessary.

The only benefit i see for ND being in a conference is the conference championship game if they need it. But typically their schedule and love from the panel is enough.

1 Like

They usually do get plenty of love!

BDragon
Liberty having a history of racism is a flat out untruth and you have no basis at all to make such a claim. You obviously have a political bias that you should keep to yourself on a spots board. I have several family members who have connections to Liberty University and there is no hint of systemic racism there (which primarily exist in Democrat controlled cities). Statements such as yours normally go unchallanged because you are able to get away with it amongst your liberal academia bedfellows. But not in this case.

There are many minority students at Liberty University and most if not all would reject your unfounded and ill infomed comments. I assume though that any college the might have any Judeo Christian philosophy you would have a problem with. Richie McKay says hello.

You attack him for having a political bias that shouldnā€™t exist on a sports board, yet your own post is riddled with language that reveal your own political biases (also the ā€œprimarly exist in Democrat controlled citiesā€ is a violent oversimplification but Iā€™m not going to get into it and you donā€™t across as someone who would budge regardless). I donā€™t fault you for that though. We always see others actions and blame or judge them yet we donā€™t see the same behaviors in ourselves and when someone does call it out we have justifications and excuses as to why we act as such. Yet we canā€™t see the justification of others. Of course this statement itself may just be words to you that you quickly read over before beginning your frustrated rebuttal and thatā€™s okay too.

Also as a heads up; even if you have good intentions your language is very aggressive and rather than getting your point across you only further the divide by telling someone ā€œyour experiences are invalid because Iā€™ve never experienced it myselfā€.

But I do wish you have a good day. One day closer to basketball season and another day of life, whether it be to a higher power you follow or chance. Make the most of it and #ROLLHOOS

12 Likes

Yes i absolutely do call his bias out. Ignorance of facts is fair game. And i am responding to a post ā€¦ not initiating a political discussion. Once the can of worms is open then he is fair game.

And he uses a ā€˜Slateā€™ article to substantiate his bias against a Christian based University ā€¦ Game, set, match.

The last part doesnā€™t even make sense. Why not call out your own biases and ignorances. Again this seems like it is going to fall on deaf ears. I genuinely wish you a good night and go Hoos!

1 Like

Iā€™m sure it makes no sense to you. Thats apparent. I have no bias but i also have a healthy respect for the truth. Wherever the gavel falls.

And yes go HOOS!

Lol. Think about what you type and the intentions you have. And put that in the context of your life. Every moment for you it seems like an opportunity to put someone down. Night

Without wading into this, my only comment on that exchange is that Slate is an enormously progressive and biased publication, regardless of oneā€™s political preference. Unfortunately, the commercial survival of many media organizations is now dependent on picking a side and catering to what that side wants to hear.

I wasnā€™t acutely aware of this until I started looking for as much reliable, unbiased information as I could on the virus last Spring while trying to figure out if we could have a summer swimming season for the league that I run voluntarily.

What I found was incredibly discouraging - even my (prior) least-biased, most objective favorite, the Economist, has clearly moved left - though not quite to the point of the New York Times.

CNN and MSNBC are the left-wing counters to Fox, and while the WSJ editorial page is certainly general policy and fiscally-conservative, it is about the most objective of any of them at this point. Thereā€™s even a conflict between the WSJ News department and the editorial page as younger journalists are becoming even more progressive than traditionally liberal journalists.

In other words, unless youā€™re only looking for what you want to hear, the polls that show only 18% or so of people trust major media these days are pretty much spot on.

Iā€™m not saying this to tell anyone what to think and will now hop off the soapbox - but just sharing some observations from my very moderate (meaning far-right in Seattle) perspective :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@Playgroundhoo Well saidā€¦ Iā€™d invite you to read the linked article written by David Matsumoto who is a professor at San Francisco State University. It was part of my class in Cross Cultural Communication through my Air Force Air War Collegeā€¦ I truly believe if everyone could rationally dissect and understand their personal biases (letā€™s face itā€¦ we all have unconscious biasā€¦ there isnā€™t a human on this earth that does not whether we recognize them or not) and understand this distillation of emotional response through intergroup/outgroup interactions, we would be much better off as a societyā€¦

Matsumoto, David, Frank, Hwang. Intergroup emotions and political aggression: The ANCODI hypothesis. 2014. Sydney Symposium.

2 Likes

Yea youā€™re right i made it all up. Just felt like randomly disparaging the name of a school because I got time like. My life and first hand experiences of myself and my family who live and work in the great Lynchburg area are not valid are real. Just pipedreams of over zealous imaginations. Also feels good to be the one singled out for my post and not the other 5 or 6 people who agreed or showed support and follow up information. Iā€™m sure me being the one named and dressed down was just a coincidence. Typically is the case when Iā€™m singled out amongst a group. Really glad I could be put in my place because you know how it is sometimes we get a little education and get uppity and get out of line.

4 Likes

Youā€™re deluding yourself if you claim to have no biases. Everyone has biases.

5 Likes