šŸ—ŗ Potential ACC Expansion & Conference Realignment

The ACC would be willing to take in a basketball school that has a recent history of going far in the NCAA tournament, because that gives the conference schools more money. The only school I would consider would be Kentucky, if they wanted to leave the SEC. :slight_smile:

The ACC will never consider offering an invite to Liberty. The only expansion talk that will hit the table for ACCā€™s Board will be if/when ND chooses to consider joining for football. Otherwise, the ACC is set for a long time. Even if ND joined in football, there are doubts the ACC would bring in a 16th school.

Many schools in the league are still gagging over admitting such a weak academic institution as Louisville ā€” currently #192 in US News & World Report ā€” with no other ACC school ranked lower than #85 (NC State). But Louisville entered only because of Marylandā€™s abrupt departure, and the league needing to shore up its TV markets for the pending talks, at the time, for a contract extension with ESPN and a conference network looming.

Liberty falls woefully short, academically, as well as offers zero value in market expansion or high level prestige in any major sports. WVU is #224 in USN&WR rankings, residing in a small population state, and has never received serious consideration by the ACC for expansion in 1979, 1991, 2004, 2012 or 2014.

Hi Mikey - I think Iā€™ve seen you say in the past that ND will never go independent. Is that still your opinion post-pandemic? I wonder if making the playoffs this year while they were in the ACC made any difference. I wouldnā€™t think so, but thought Iā€™d ask.

I keep in touch with several former business colleagues that are ND alums and big donors to athletics. In the past they would paraphrase the old George Wallace proclamation ā€” ā€œAn independent today, an independent tomorrow, an independent forever.ā€

However, according to those same ND friends, the events of B1G/SEC signing massive new TV contracts, further widening the payout gap with ND, and the Irish doing so well this season playing an ACC schedule, and making the playoff, has forged some new discussions among the donor base. Apparently, NDā€™s highly respected AD Jack Swarbrick, has recently spoken to several football donor groups to enlighten them on the challenges ahead for ND. Donors giving has been able to close the payout with Power-5 conferences. But Swarbrick indicated the ever widening disparity in TV contract payouts would slowly place ND in a competitive disadvantage. And that joining the ACC in football may be inevitable for both ND and the ACC to remain financially viable against B1G and SEC.

So while I donā€™t envision any imminent change with ND football, the Irish eyes are opening to a possible reality down the road. What happened this season may have given ND a slight nudge on what might be possible. I know ND administrationā€™s was very appreciative in how the leagueā€™s board of directors/ADs and Swofford worked with them to make the season possible.

6 Likes

The answer is not expansion but inclusion. 8 power conf / 10 teams. The ACC in 2026.
Clemson, South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Duke, NC. State, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Florida State, Central Florida.
Bigger is not better. (Also Georgia Tech went back to the SEC and Liberty would go to the newly Big East)

Unfortunately the economics win out and bigger is betterā€¦a 10 team league wouldnā€™t work with our own network, bowl tie-ins or a legit championship gameā€¦especially with the inconsistent teams that you have proposedā€¦SC ainā€™t coming to the ACC nor is Maryland leaving the BIGā€¦maybe you can get UCF but the academic snobs voting would say that is snowballs chance in hellā€¦

1 Like

Agree with @JumboHoo thereā€™s no way you can get UofM or SC to leave those sweet paychecks from the SEC and BIG. The only way would be to offer more money and a 10 team conference with no conference championship game and still only one powerhouse team isnā€™t going to move the economic needle enough.

The ACC is exactly what itā€™s going to be until the top league is formed and Clemson finally leaves for greener pastures.

Donā€™t you think Clemson is in the greenest pasture? Theyā€™re pretty much guaranteed a spot in the College football playoffs every year.

1 Like

I wonā€™t argue with you there for a minute. Just meant if they form the proposed super league with all the elite teams, the cash payout likely would be too good for Clemson to skip out on

Sureā€¦they have a guaranteed bowl spotā€¦ but their payout from ACC is still the same as every other ACC teamā€¦ an elite league sounds interesting on paper but with only 4 teams in the playoffs, I donā€™t think an elite conference will get all 4 spots and then you would have to have wink wink deals with other bowl tie-ins based upon a hypothetical league consisting of select SEC, ACC, BIG and Big 12. Teamsā€¦ too many chicken or egg conversations to have for any SEC team or BIG to skip out on their current dealsā€¦ not to mention all capital investments made in their respective TV networks that an elite league would need to stand up pretty quickā€¦ I canā€™t see it really getting doneā€¦also my omission of the PAC 12 is not a mistakeā€¦

1 Like

I know back in the day IPTAY which is the sports giving to Clemson was far and away number 1 in the country and not even close. If it is still
what it was they can kinda pick and chooseā€¦ maybe

1 Like

Well said. the elite league is my own fever dream for what Iā€™d like to see happen. The top 15-20 powerhouse schools flex their muscle go to ESPN and set up a deal, they play their own season and go for it. The other 80ish D1 teams left can fall back into the traditional set up. Pipedream/delusion? Sure. Funny I didnā€™t even realize you forgot the Pac-12 itā€™s definitely not 2005 anymore.

According to George Welsh, IPTAY = Itā€™s Probation Time Again, Yā€™all

I heard that from a friend on the team. I donā€™t know if itā€™s true, but I want it to be.

1 Like

This post is old but since it was created in November itā€™s now more realistic that Notre Dame will decide to become a full member with the new playoff structure so this could actually happen. Cincinnati is the obvious choice.

1.) They are an old Big East school and are Louisvilleā€™s rival.
2.) It puts the ACC in Ohio, probably the 5th or 6th best football recruiting state.
3.) It puts the ACC into a new TV market thatā€™s a major metropolitan area.
4.) Itā€™s in the current ACC footprint close to Louisville.
5.) Itā€™s not a great Academic university but itā€™s much better than Louisville and West Virginia. If they join with a great academic university like Notre Dame is it really that bad?
6.) They are traditionally a basketball school and the ACC is a basketball conference.
7.) They would be a city school in a city school conference just like Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Miami, etc.
8.) The ACC can create 2 divisions with 8 teams each and renew some old rivalries. An old school ACC division and an Old Big East division and actually make realignment make sense for once.
9.) Cincy showed this past season that they can compete at the highest level in football with multiple coaches (Brian Kelly in 2009 and Luke Fickell in 2021). Think about how good the ACC wouldā€™ve been this past season with Clemson, ND, and Cincy all in the top 10.

3 Likes

Big East Division

Notre Dame
Cincinnati
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
Miami
BC
Virginia Tech

ACC Division

Duke
UNC
Virginia
GT
FSU
Clemson
Wake
NC State

4 Likes

Fuck Ohio worst state ever

2 Likes

Youā€™ve never been to kansas

3 Likes

I didnā€™t mind Ohio. But I spent a few weeks in Iowa when I was in high school and that place SUCKED.

1 Like

I lived in Hoisington KS. was amazing at age 4.

3 Likes

Lived in Ohio for 4 yrs itā€™s fine. Iowa is a waste of space

1 Like