Pre-season 2022

“They’ve all kind of had their days where you’re kind of like ‘woah okay’ Ryan Dunn, he was really good today, Leon Bond’s really good,” UVA assistant coach Kyle Getter said, “The next day it would be like man did you see what [Isaac] Traudt did, that was awesome, or Isaac McKneely, things that he did. It’s just they’ve all had little moments here and there.”

Dunn being mentioned first :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

21 Likes

I really hope I get to somehow see these games in august

6 Likes

Yep, me too! November might as well be next century :smile:

2 Likes

Armaan has been doing the local news media tour

8 Likes

I’m glad to see it. I expect him to take more of a leadership role this year. He’s certainly been leading by example with his off-season work.

8 Likes

So my weird obsession continues to be trying having UVA gather the pelts of as many NCAA programs as possible, as in beat teams we’ve never beaten before. Last year I pulled together the full list of programs we’ve never played and/or never beaten. Looking at that, this year’s OOC schedule provides the opportunity to gather three new pelts! (Technically there are four teams we can snag but we’ll probably only play three of them given the Vegas event set-up)

Never played before: North Carolina Central, Illinois

Played but never beaten: UCLA, Baylor

So while it’s a small OOC slate thanks to the stupid 20 game conference schedule, we’ve got some fun opportunities!

15 Likes

Have to love the can’t keep them out of the gym comment. Especially on the heels of Tony saying last year’s team didn’t put in the extra work enough.

12 Likes

Yeah, not sure how to read / calibrate Getter’s comments, but there are nice things in there for sure.

4 Likes

All we need is for two of the first years to have greater contributions than the two bench guys who left - significantly greater contributions from one of them would be even better. You take that with BVP, Shedrick and Reece continuing to grow, and the starters having even better chemistry, we could have a formidable team next year - I will also say that we never got comments like this in the fall of 2020 when the supposed last high rated class started

8 Likes

I’m very excited and optimistic about the upcoming season. I fully recognize that the starting lineup is going to be

Reece!!!
Kihei
Armaan
Jaden
Kadin

and that this will probably lead to some slow offensive starts. But I also fully expect to see big contributions from BVP, Isaac M, and at least one of the other first years. I am also expecting to see less and less of Reece!!! And Kihei on the floor at the same time as the season goes on. There’s just so much length, athleticism and shooting among the new guys that it’s hard to immagine that TB doesn’t find a way to take advantage of it.

And that’s not even considering any contributions from Taine.

4 Likes

We didn’t know if there would be a season or what kind of season there could be in fall of 2020 and access to players by media or anyone else was really limited.

1 Like

Ok :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’ll say what I heard preseason last year was a lot different from so far this preseason. Last season, I was cautioned about what to expect from the team and I was told fans were expecting too much from certain players (which proved to be accurate). What I’m hearing from the same folks this year is much more optimistic, both about the vets and the rookies.

What that will actually mean when play starts I don’t know, but it’s reason to be at least a little excited.

32 Likes

Crap, now the wait until November is going to feel like 2 centuries.

6 Likes

I think this year is going to be a very entertaining one to be on a UVA board lol I expect we’ll be better than the general prognosis of a ‘tournament but not top 25’ level team. But we won’t be back to where we were in 14-19 and it will be with a very veteran rotation (so not necessarily building for a future peak). Should make for a wide range of reactions from fans.

2 Likes

Regardless of results, it’ll be nice if there’s just a bit of new energy. I’ve frequently posted on here about vague, dumb, unmeasurable things like the ‘general vibe’, but that said, the general team vibe has felt a little off/unhappy the past two seasons. It kind of feels like the young guys might be bringing an infusion of new positive energy, and the vets are seemingly trying to pick it up a little too. Plus, with no knowledge of BVP except his photo, he feels like a fun personality that’ll help the mix (maybe Gill light? We’ll have to see).

Anyway, there’s the vibe update everyone was looking for.

10 Likes

Yeah good point, as Getter is *new at making these comments. In years past it was Tony or JWilly making TRUTHFUL comments, and me (along with hopeful individuals on these boards) have kind of been like, “maybe Tony is sandbagging and the player he’s talking about actually WILL get alot of time”, only to find out that Tony or Jwilly were *not lying.

Long story short we will see if Getter is either overly enthusiastic, or being modest and how he compares to what Jwilly and Tony say as we approach the season.

4 Likes

True, although I distinctly remember Tony sandbagging in the preseason of 18-19.

2 Likes

That was my take. Getter might be the type of coach who talks up the bright spots vs. the unadorned truth of the overall picture. That said, we certainly have much more talent than we did last year.

4 Likes

Sounds good! I mean out of the gate last year Jayden was a stud (hitting game winners etc.), and Armaan was already better than some of our guards the previous year with his middle game, and his shot LOOKED fantastic whenever he shot it, so I expect them both to continue to contribute at atleast that level and probably more. Kadin starting playing well with more experience and Papi did his thug-thizzle. Beeks had put on some muscle and was very spiderlike defensively (I actually like the name “Durantula” but KD never liked it apparently).

So adding more players on top of that, one VERY experienced player, and others who by mid-season I expect to be turning that Ty Jerome corner (Villanova coming out party) I think we will turn that corner. What’s nice is that we can’t *always expect all of our starters to have fantastic games day in-out, but now we have 3-5 additional players who may be able to pick up the slack.

3 Likes