Pre-season 2022

Regardless of results, it’ll be nice if there’s just a bit of new energy. I’ve frequently posted on here about vague, dumb, unmeasurable things like the ‘general vibe’, but that said, the general team vibe has felt a little off/unhappy the past two seasons. It kind of feels like the young guys might be bringing an infusion of new positive energy, and the vets are seemingly trying to pick it up a little too. Plus, with no knowledge of BVP except his photo, he feels like a fun personality that’ll help the mix (maybe Gill light? We’ll have to see).

Anyway, there’s the vibe update everyone was looking for.

10 Likes

Yeah good point, as Getter is *new at making these comments. In years past it was Tony or JWilly making TRUTHFUL comments, and me (along with hopeful individuals on these boards) have kind of been like, “maybe Tony is sandbagging and the player he’s talking about actually WILL get alot of time”, only to find out that Tony or Jwilly were *not lying.

Long story short we will see if Getter is either overly enthusiastic, or being modest and how he compares to what Jwilly and Tony say as we approach the season.

4 Likes

True, although I distinctly remember Tony sandbagging in the preseason of 18-19.

2 Likes

That was my take. Getter might be the type of coach who talks up the bright spots vs. the unadorned truth of the overall picture. That said, we certainly have much more talent than we did last year.

4 Likes

Sounds good! I mean out of the gate last year Jayden was a stud (hitting game winners etc.), and Armaan was already better than some of our guards the previous year with his middle game, and his shot LOOKED fantastic whenever he shot it, so I expect them both to continue to contribute at atleast that level and probably more. Kadin starting playing well with more experience and Papi did his thug-thizzle. Beeks had put on some muscle and was very spiderlike defensively (I actually like the name “Durantula” but KD never liked it apparently).

So adding more players on top of that, one VERY experienced player, and others who by mid-season I expect to be turning that Ty Jerome corner (Villanova coming out party) I think we will turn that corner. What’s nice is that we can’t *always expect all of our starters to have fantastic games day in-out, but now we have 3-5 additional players who may be able to pick up the slack.

3 Likes

Oh that may be true as that was right after the NCAA tournament which we won’t discuss any longer. The first half of an epic adventure and finale.

1 Like

All of you need to stop with this “interpretation” nonsense. Getter is clearly trying to say they will all start immediately and that Ryan Dunn will be NPOY. Really not sure why that’s so hard to understand

15 Likes

when Ryan redshirts Dr Dre style the meltdown gonna be real real

6 Likes

Hmm, well, not to bring up the negative when we’re all in a good mood, but Taine seems to be continuing to have a rough time shooting in the FIBA Asia Cup. NZ lost to Lebanon today and he shot 2/11, including 1/9 from three.

Maybe he adjusted his spin for the northern hemisphere so he’ll be sinking them all here but is struggling back there?

9 Likes

Big fan of this. Well done.

2 Likes

This brings back painful memories of tracking all of stattman’s and caffaro’s box scores the summer after the natty and them all being horrendous

8 Likes

In Taine’s case at least he is playing. My concern was he was going to go to this tournament just to ride the pine.

Also this is at the senior national level, right? If so a bit different than Kody struggling at U18 and U19 events.

5 Likes

I think we know Taine can shoot it fairly well. Can he do the other stuff is more the question for me.

8 Likes

I kinda love that he got up 11 shots

8 Likes

The international ball is a crappy orb … I couldn’t stand to play with it.

1 Like

Very telling in hindsight.

You guys are overlooking the most shocking item we heard in that story about the new guys.
Workouts so far have focused more on the offensive side. I have never heard that before when talking about a UVA practice. I remember one of the players saying that practice was 90% on the defensive side. This is a big change from Tony

12 Likes

And repeated reference to scrimmages. My understanding was that it used to be basically no scrimmaging in practice

3 Likes

May see some big changes in the offensive schemes

2 Likes

I wonder if the prep for the summer trip is driving that. Do you or anyone else remember the trip prep regiment for the last one?

4 Likes