Pre-season 2022

4 Likes

I kind of love this clip. It’s so phenomenally pointless and is neither interesting in any way nor insightful about the team in any way. 10/10

13 Likes
9 Likes

For whatever reason I read that last line in a New York Italian accent

“If there are opportunities there are opportunities and if there aren’t well there’s always next year capeesh”

6 Likes

What Tony said is 100% correct but has next to nothing to do with whether redshirting makes any sense whatsoever.

Like, if you replace the term redshirt with the term “playing time”, I’m in complete agreement. But playing time and redshirts are two totally different decisions and Tony has confused himself and his fan base by conflating them.

3 Likes

I realized why I read it like that

11 Likes

In this day and age I actually think red shirting is because the coach cares

5 Likes

I agree that his motivations are positive but I still think it’s super dumb.

4 Likes

I’m gonna make you a redshirt. You can’t refuse.

1 Like

13 Likes

Anyone know when we’d find out who will redshirt? I assume it would be before the blue-white game which is usually like mid October

Pretty sure redshirts can play in that (I think Huff and Dre played in Fall 2016). It’s been a while since we had a normal schedule on these things, so my memory could be off, but I think it’s basically right before the first game (or so).

1 Like

We probably won’t know who the staff intends to redshirt until we see who doesn’t play in the pre-conference buy games. The staff probably won’t make any kind of redshirting announcement. And, of course, those decisions are always revocable depending on things like injuries and unexpected in-season development.

7 Likes

In the Bennett era, we’ve had one revoked redshirt: Paul Jesperson, when KT Harrell left. Am I forgetting one?

So, both of those categories are theoretically possible, but we haven’t had either situation. There were reports (I believe, but the internet has made info ubiquitous and ephemeral) that Tony considered taking off Dre’s shirt b/c he was very good and we needed him (Zay was sick), but ultimately didn’t.

Wasn’t it somewhat of a surprise that Kody didn’t redshirt in the national championship year? I remember folks being caught off guard when he came in for garbage time in the early non-con.

I could be misremembering. But either way, probably for the best…

3 Likes

I think so.

And to @haney’s point If a player is set to stay for 5 seasons they may be good (ala Kihei), BUT on the other hand they may need MUCH more development and therefore may be blocking other more talented players from playing ( I won’t mention names here). Therefore us planning to have Redshirts could be detrimental, unless we somehow *nudge the player out of the door after their 4th year (Only 3 years of playing).

3 Likes

Fwiw, on redshirt announcement timing, my internet sleuthing suggests in Fall 2016, Tony announced Huff and Hunter RS in the pregame radio interview before game 1.

4 Likes

Yeah, I probably should have inserted a “potentially” between “always” and “revocable.” Once the decision is made to put the shirt on, it’s possible that it comes off, but highly unlikely. Either something really good (damn, this kid got a shit ton better between November and mid-January) or really bad (damn, that’s the worst injury/illness luck we’ve had on the wing in the Bennett era) has to happen for the shirt to come off.

2 Likes