Preseason Thread

First rounds on me for you and @TUGARD. I like y’all style

1 Like

There will be a season. Just like football there will cancellations and it won’t resemble a normal year but there will be a season.

1 Like

Welp not gonna be ASU

1 Like

Maybe the Hoos take that spot!

1 Like

Let’s play Maine Today in a scrimmage or stay and play them an extra game after this Tourney.

2 Likes

Looks like Duke’s opener vs Gardner Webb got cancelled due to COVID concerns in the GW program. I don’t understand how these players could be getting it. You’ve worked all year to start playing games, and all you have to do to ensure your season starts is show some restraint for two weeks.

2 Likes

May be tough with BC and Nova on the schedule already?

1 Like

I thought about that, but scheduling this year is going to be creative by necessity. But you are probably right.

1 Like

Acc teams have played in non conference before and teams have played each other twice (once in a preseason tourney and the other in an already scheduled home and home). Dont think it will be a barrier at all.

3 Likes

I say we play a maximum 17 games.

1 Like

I think we eventually play all our 20 acc games but college basketball goes on hiatus mid December to February. I think we get our game with Michigan state if no one else tests positive.

2 Likes

Teams are dropping quickly. Tennessee the latest P5. They had games planned with Charlotte and VCU.

Never going to happen, but Charlotte + VCU wouldn’t be such a bad pivot. Two teams where we should know a lot about their playing style already. More or less local as well.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’d take the over for 17 ACC games. Things will calm down a bit next week once the normal students are gone and the athletic quasi bubbles are reestablished.

1 Like

Players have to show restraint to abide by the rules to play, but they also know they have very low risk of negative health impact. For 19/20-year olds drawn by all sorts of social and other needs, it’s a practical conflict. the temptation is just going to be too much. My daughter just had a bad semester at a California school working and living entirely from her dorm room, and she’s fairly introverted in the first place. It blows, even if she did well academically.

What I still haven’t seen in any media or administrative reports from schools are post-Covid data.

Meaning we hear about every single positive test that shuts individuals and full games down. But what happened? Did anyone get sick? Did anyone have to go to the hospital? Did anyone suffer worse?

Yes, I know it’s about the potential spreading to others that may or may not be higher risk, but where is the analysis on that to complete the story after the breathless positive test reporting?

There is plenty of emerging data from European countries showing that the spread in school environments is much lower than assumed, so hopefully that will have an influence.

Feel free to debate - just some thoughts because I hate to see these games cancelled.

1 Like

I’m just getting tuned in today, so maybe behind on some things. Word going around earlier was they believe they’ll have 2 games this week, just nothing is done yet.

7 Likes

Interesting, would you rather be Virginia trying to plan to play another team on short notice, or another team trying to plan for Virginia on short notice. I know what I would choose.

3 Likes

Not surprising, but not sliding into the Baylor spot

2 Likes

I think Mohegan wanted to keep the two tournaments and feared UVA joining the other one would have ruined the main attraction to the other tournament (just a guess though).

2 Likes
6 Likes

San Francisco was pretty good a year ago. I know one of their best players left for Louisville as a grad transfer and I’m not sure who they have coming back but under the circumstances we could have done worse.

And in all honesty, if we can get in two games this week it’s a win.

6 Likes