⛹ Reece Beekman - Offical Thread

100% agree. I was just responding to the suggestion that it is essentially a foregone conclusion by those with more knowledge that he is not coming back to UVA. In that case it seems reasonable he would just notify the coaching staff. If things are still in flux then you are correct.

1 Like

Was Tony at the combine watching Reece?

2 Likes

There was speculation that he was. I watched the whole thing and they never showed him, for what that’s worth.

1 Like

I think the individual workouts will determine a bit more for what Reece’s station is when it comes down to it. I agree that it would come down to a team idiosyncratically liking Reece as well.

1 Like

Yep! It adds an additional 30(?) spots to the guys making guaranteed money. So lets’ say the 2-ways used to end at 50, now you add 30 spots it equals 80 players that are likely making guaranteed coin.

1 Like

The 30 extra spots aren’t likely to be all used by first year guys though. I’d bet first year guys won’t make up even half the new spots.

10 Likes

That’s a very good point. You are right about that.

1 Like

I strongly suspect reeces decision will come down to how tired he is or isn’t of having to devote considerable time to academics, with his family situation (including his brothers tragic passing) as a supplemental factor. I have my own hunch what he will decide but we will know soon enough.

3 Likes

I think Beeks is about 50/50 to be drafted if he stays in it. I hope he pulls out.

1 Like

In the article in The Athletic published today, Brennan and Davis write that they fully expect Beekman to remain in the draft.

3 Likes

… based on the combine performance, which draft experts actually aren’t calling out as notable in any meaningful way. So I’m not sure there.

(still think he goes, but don’t think they have some inside scoop and their read on the combine isn’t quite right)

3 Likes

Hmmm where have we heard that before? Ha

True. Although Brennan and Davis don’t say it, it seemed like their opinion is based more on their assessment of the Virginia program than the draft combine.

1 Like

I will read it then ha. Thank you sir

1 Like

Only players with three or fewer years of NBA service are eligible for two-way contracts, and players in two-way contract slots are only eligible to be active in a maximum of 50 games with their NBA team, according to the G League. These players spend the rest of the season with their team’s G League.

So they are spread out among 3 draft classes plus anyone who comes from overseas or G League as new to the league … like Gill did way later on.

4 Likes

Yeah, even if, on the low end, only 10 of the 30 spots go to rookies, that’s still 10 extra 2-ways, and I think that means that Reece’s likely floor is at least a 2-way.

5 Likes

I disagree - I can totally see him not getting a guaranteed contract or 2 way.
I mean Huff was the G League defensive player of the year - can shoot threes and still couldn’t get a full 2 way.
Reece is a 6-1 guard who can’t shoot yet. And probably isn’t physical enough to be able to switch on 2’s and 3’s in the NBA.

3 Likes

I think it’s possible, but not likely.

1 Like

I also think, though it’s not perfectly clear, that the increase in 2-ways makes a guaranteed contract in year one relatively more valuable. If we assume late season roster spots (which there aren’t any more of) generally go to a two-way guy who has shown out, the increase in two ways players seems like it will make it harder to ultimately get a guaranteed deal. Not to mention that the extra dollars may induce more guys to stay that otherwise would have gone to Europe. Setting aside any non basketball stuff with Reece, I think even a small increase in the chance he could get a guaranteed deal next year should make it worth it to stay.

2 Likes

It’s possibly relevant that another player best known for his defense, Kevin McCullar of Kansas, a 2-time Naismith defensive player of the year semi-finalist, just announced he’s returning to Kansas. He participated in the Combine although I have no idea how he did. He averaged 10.7 points, 7 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game last season.

Of course, Kansas looks loaded for '23-24 and that may have been a big factor in his return. But, like Beekman, his strength is clearly more on defense than on offense.

3 Likes