Roger Mason jr joins the podcast

Flat out athletes. There’s no doubt Pete brought in a specific style of player. I remember working my ass off against those guys in pickup games. But I feel like none of them really developed. During that era players basically left the same way they came in.

1 Like

Most got worse or transferred.

1 Like

I didn’t want to say that, but I’d agree. Mason was the only player who I saw improve/ flourish during that period.

TW was speaking his truth but most fans felt Roger shited on UVA and dislike him from leaving. We had a great team returning and good recruits coming in. I want tu say Devin Smith and Byars. Its been a while. I think Todd Billet was also eligible. Again this is off the top of my head. But I know we had a final four team and he left. It was said, he was never fully invested that yr and played for the draft. Of course that wasnt true but those were the rumors. So when he left it made people upset. I know he didnt leave on good terns. So TW was one of a few that wanted him tu leave. I can’t see TW wanting that either but hey I wont question the man.

But there isnt any doubt, we won those years because of Roger.  He was phenomenal and your can joke Gillien. But if Gillien didnt allow Roger ty play point and give him freedom.  I don't think Roger would have been a pro. His ability tu play point on that level, facilitate, score,  defend and be a dawg helped his case for the NBA. By the way his heart issue was all over the news. Im not sure why that's a surprise. Thats all they talked about when he was with the Spurs and played a huge role for their success. I think he was one of the top six men of the yr one season. Roger overcame alot.
3 Likes

But I can understand especially if he was going to have to sit out post surgery for the year. Might as well sign a contract and rehab while being paid!

1 Like

Yup that was my thought. I was one of the ones who didn’t understand/like when he left, but in retrospect that makes sense.

I am definitely in the minority, but I think guys leaving early for the nba…is good for the program’s long term health.

Having someone leave sucks in the short term, I totally get that. But if ur on the cusp of being a 1st round pick. I think u should leave.

Obviously I dont know anything…but that’s my worthless take.

4 Likes

What was most impressive was Rogers business like approach to getting himself better during his tim at UVa. As you guys said some more highly touted guys and maybe better all around athletes but he understood early about putting the work in and making it to the next level. I didnt even realise he came out a year early but the way he explained with injury etc definitely made the right choice for him.

Love all you guys comments here helps me learn way more about that era.

3 Likes

number 3???

2 Likes

That’s a hot take, but I agree with it. It totally sucks to see a player leave early especially when you make up plans for them in your head. But I agree if you’re a first rounder or complete a magical run of a season, you have to strike while the irons hot and get that money.

As crazy as this year played out, I think it makes the perfect example, Kyle Guy would not have benefited from returning to play a short season. He had a great tournament run and got out on a high note with some showmanship.

2 Likes

we were discussing this before. knowing what we know now should Mamadi have gone?

1 Like

I was thinking about him as I wrote the above comment. I don’t think it would have mattered. Maybe he squeaks into the 2nd round last year but I think that’s a slim chance. He played well from Feb-March that I know he helped himself, but I still don’t know if he made it into the top 2 rounds especially given what’s happen. I think he would have benefited from a tourney run.

2 Likes

I wanted Mamadi to go pro…bc going pro would mean the intel has him in first round.

4 players in the draft from one class is amazing. That goes into the record books.

Just like Jay Huff this year. If his intel says he can be a 1st rounder. U have a guy who redshirts, barely plays for 2.5 years and is able to go pro. How does that not help recruiting?

1 Like

I get that for sure. If we have a player who is a legit round 1 talent and the scouts are telling them that, then I believe they should go. Felt that way about Mamadi and feel that way about Jay right now. Now if they are on the cusp and looking more lower 2 then I say stay and work on your craft.

My perspective on it is this.

The player holds all the information.
What due diligence they did on being drafted.
The workouts performances
Conversations they had with parents, family, coaches, teammates.
And of course, their dreams and aspirations.

If they decide they want to go pro and leave based on all of the above…

I just trust that it’s right and cheer for them to succeed.

3 Likes

I can dig that for sure. I’ll never be mad at a player for making the choice to leave. I may question it, but I agree I trust especially a CTB coached player has gotten great advice and is making a sound decision based on what is best for them and while I may not always understand it, I won’t hold it against them at all.

1 Like

Its easy tu say all this now because we have been the shit the last few years. But when Roger was on the team. Our program was in the dumpster. So lets be real. LOL We look at things differently now. When Roger played, most fans weren’t concerned about the nba or recruiting over THE PROGRAM SUCCESS. We wanted tu be relevant. We wanted tu make the ncaa. We wanted tu be on tv more. If Roger stayed his sr year. We had a great chance tu achieve everything I just mentioned. So fans were butt hurt. Now this is the first time hearing That Roger had tu sit out. I agree with his decision. But at the time, fans would cut their arms off for a great season. Again im not going tu tell anyone what they were thinking. But I would debate anyone who will tell me fans preferred Roger tu leave than stay. The MAJORITY wanted him to stay. Now we are ok with it but let me give another scoop. We were happy for Justin but fans were like damn. If Justin would have stayed, we would have won the chip. That was just a few years ago. Now we are dominating and felt success. Its much easier tu say Bye Ty, Dre and Guy. If we would have lost against Purdue. I GUARANTEE fans would want Ty and Guy back and their status would have been different if they left after the Purdue lost. I cant bite my tongue. We were blessed and win that chip and that team solved all our wet dreams. Those guys made us champions.

6 Likes

Preach Tu. this is so true man

I personally thought/ wished Justin came back but man, in this era if you are round 1 pick you literally can NOT stay.

Roger broke the mold. However no one remembers the great Gus Gerard… stay tuned

4 Likes

I wasn’t that upset when Mason left because we were so mediocre it was hard to give a fuck. Justin leaving early bummed me out from a selfish standpoint. And us dumb UVA fans thought he may stay for that UVA degree. :roll_eyes:

Yeah I have tu call it like it is. My bones wont allow me tu bullshit or hear bullshit. It kills me. Just look at when Sean was going tu leave his jr yr. Fans were going nuts and begging Sean tu stay. He got so much coverage about his decision. He ended up staying but fans would have been pissed if he left. As fans, we are very selfish.

Thanks Doug, I thought I said tu much. So seeing your post made me feel more comfortable about this site.

Here is my attempt of a joke. Mark keep talking about Jason giving fans tu free tickets this yr because he know we can’t use them. Fans wont be at games this season. So of course they promoting it
Am i ready for the Apollo now after that joke. LOL

4 Likes