Stonehenge

Trying to avoid gunking up another thread, as is my normal practice. Here is some info on the latest/greatest Stonehenge theory:

Book form:

Podcast form:

Article form:

Takeaway:

"Stonehenge was built at a time of drastic population decline and dispersal, said Mike Parker Pearson, a professor at University College London who has made major Stonehenge-related discoveries, including the Durrington Walls settlement. There were few, if any, villages, and society was “trying to create a sense of unity and collaboration among its members,” he explained.

Built on the site of an ancient cemetery, Stonehenge was a “monument of remembrance,” he said, and an “expression of unity” that pulled people together in the pursuit of a common endeavor.

Yet, he said, “People don’t want it to be that simple as an explanation.”

“I was once told by a government minister that it was a great shame, what we were doing, because, of course, we were chipping away at the mystery” and “that does terrible things to the visitor numbers,” Parker Pearson added."

And here’s a gif representing my intention (not a promise) to better stay on topic in the future:

4 Likes

In other words, Stonehenge was the friends we made along the way, basically.

6 Likes

9 Likes

… but did they ever figure out how those mofos picked up all those rocks? I get it they were friends… but drinking buddies can’t pick up multi-ton rocks.

7 Likes

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, drinking buddies can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - (maybe) Margaret Mead

Actual answer:

3 Likes

man me and friends have sat around drinkin and solved tons of shit. problem is next day we always forgot what we solved

8 Likes

Same - but it’s typically stuff we messed up in the first place

6 Likes

That’s because Stonhenge was built as a way to distract people from the spot where things really went down Newgrange.

6 Likes

If you want to talk about Irish Neolithic monuments, start your own thread! :wink:

5 Likes

Every thread I touch.
episode 11 tornado GIF

8 Likes

What amazed me when I went to see Stonehenge was that it was still standing and there were actually other henges that had fallen down.

4 Likes

Hence the popular admonition in Neolithic England: “What happens in Stonehenge stays in Stonehenge.”

7 Likes

Stonehenge = not impressive

8 Likes

No one knows if @BDragon was even there…

4 Likes

Hat representin. Dragon proly knock one them fake ass rocks over

6 Likes

Stonehenge lost 3 rocks that day.

7 Likes

Just drove by Stonehenge this past week. They cut the road off and built a visitors center several miles away… so can’t see it from the road anymore.

Dumb.

On a separate note, i also drove by Woodhenge… disappointing.

5 Likes

Headley Grange is a more significant historical site.

3 Likes

Yep… wasnt going to either place… was just driving through

1 Like

Nellcote infinitely more so

1 Like