Swimming Championship

This thread is about to fly off the rails

4 Likes

Hopefully not, I’m done giving takes. I don’t want to drown out the achievements of uva atheletes with my social commentary. I did just want to point out that it is unfair for others to just say “this isn’t a political statement but [political statement]”

Looks like a strong morning of prelims so far. UVA qualified 3 swimmers in the 400 IM final including the 2 fastest times, and the fastest qualifier for the 100 Fly final.

5 Likes

Soooo does anyone know why they still use 25 yard pools in college swimming? Is it just a cost thing?

1 Like

More places have room for 25 yards … but there are records for short and long pools … short pools are much more about the turns and push offs from the wall and the underwater dolphin kicks.

1 Like

When I swam through HS… what used to irritate me more than 25 yards pools, was some schools had 25 meter pools which would be just longer that I would mess up my backstroke flip turns, others yards and still more long course 50 yard pools. No consistency. :frowning:

2 Likes

We will be adding another national championship trophy this evening.

5 Likes

Been watching the stream… UVa women are dominating.

6 Likes

This thread has set the LRA record for flagged posts. The notifications are getting annoying.

Look there’s a controversial situation involved. 1) Posting your objections isn’t going to change anyone’s mind. But if you insist on it, try to be semi-respectful. 2) Trying to sensor opinions by flagging posts you disagree with doesn’t make it less controversial.

It is what it is. Let’s just play nice please.

So in conclusion

love-semipro

7 Likes

30 replies and it set the RECORD? I’m impressed, but not surprised. Let’s give cheers to our swimmers for their hard work no matter what we think about who won. :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

Go Hoos!

4 Likes

We’re about to win back-to-back national championships. That’s amazing! This place should be nothing but positive vibes going forward. Our team is a beast!

7 Likes

That’s the problem with the internet. Everyone feels entitled to share their opinion as if anyone else cares and it’s so annoying. Anyways back to posting my 50th dream transfer addition lineup …

8 Likes

Has any other UVa team in any sport ever been this dominant? I’m not a scholar of UVa sports history but none come to mind.

Great! Ill own that. Its pretty obvious to most people that they have an unfair competitive advantage.

Who wins the national championship in 50 free, 100 fly, and 200 breast, with American records in each? Those are such different skills. That’s insane. Kate Douglass is amazing.

5 Likes

Per Rowdy Gaines: Kate Douglass with the greatest NCAA performance of all-time.

Ho hum - 3 wins and 3 American records. I don’t know how to compare it to anything given the crazy combination of events she won.

Maybe an all-NBA player winning the dunk contest, winning the 3-point shootout, and then walking outside and running an American-record 100-meter dash for kicks? I don’t know. It’s an insane performance.

And Alex Walsh going for her 3rd win in the 200 Fly. Gretchen Walsh just won the 100 Freestyle.

6 Likes

I know we had a soccer dynasty in the early ‘90s. Men’s tennis was pretty dominant for a stretch last decade.

4 Likes

That 400 free relay just broke a record held by Katie Ledecky and Simone Manuel (and others). Unreal. And not a single senior.

6 Likes

Jim Ryan and Carla in the pool to celebrate! Cool moment.

4 Likes