Taine Murray mean muggin'

5 Likes

Here is the full video.https://twitter.com/fibaasiacup/status/1363043484228288512?s=21

Tu, could be your Dawg!

Word is that he’s killing this tournament. He’s playing against grown professionals… imagine how many points he’ll put up against 16 years olds :exploding_head:

1 Like

Oh really? Do you have a link o4 any references about his play?

Haven’t New Zealand only played the one game?

Yes and NZ got blown out. Taine was the leading scorer with 14. Have also read the rosters were a bit watered down as most room players weren’t released by their teams.

1 Like

That’s the traditional Haka Ka Mate. Every international NZ side does it before a game. Many teams have gone on to work with Mauri elders to create new ones that are more inclusive and represent the members of the team. There is a lot of cultural identity wrapped up in that

3 Likes

Oh I know :smile: I’ve seen Jack Salt and Stephen Adams live, but I appropriated it for UVA purposes :wink: I want him to bring that same fire when he gets here!

1 Like

They should saved some of that energy for the game. Blowout.

1 Like

I think all US professional sports need to adopt the haka before every game… I’d like to see many of my favorite players with their constipation faces/poses. Imagine your favorites with their best faces… it would be glorious.

A true haka is a beautiful thing. You can feel the emotions in the air. Ive stood across from in on 3 occasions and in the right setting it definitely gives you shivers.

The few times I’ve seen NZ basketball teams perform it, it is not spine tingling

7 Likes

Very true. They do it for most sports if not all, including Rugby which is just intimidating.

All NZ sports team use it. The All Blacks have embraced the culture and devleoped new versions to incorporate the multiple ethnicities on the club. I’d dare say theirs or one of the ones used by the NZ Mauris are the truest. While most other sports adopted it later as part of marketing

3 Likes

Ahhh very interesting, and really cool that they’ve adopted/adjusted it for the multiple ethnicities as well!

1 Like

That’s what I’ve read, too, @BDragon.

The Misappropriation of “Ka Mate”

Is there anywhere to watch Taine Murray’s film from these games? I saw Wahoops post short clips on Instagram

2 Likes

ESPN+ has been showing a lot of the games if not all of them.

3 Likes

Some game highlights vs Australia. Love how he’s aggressive going to the basket. Don’t like that he got his pocket picked.

2 Likes

It’s just the one game. And the broadcast got screwed up, so I don’t know if there will ever be a full video. There were a lot of ticked off Kiwis on twitter.

7 Likes