TB and depth

You know what else is a problem. We dont strike fear intu opponents. Teams dont get nervous playing us or afraid we will destroy them. When teams see Duke run on the court they are in awe. We have tu get that mentality. People think we are good but a bunch of corny nerves. We need them tu be afraid when they see us.

I have a theory what these more seasoned teams did

1 Like

I’d bet money those programs trained like normal. Either “bubbled up” or went business as usual and locked it down so others didnt know

6 Likes

There it is Dragon

3 Likes

Couldn’t disagree with you more. I think when teams like Carolina take the court against us they are dreading it. Maybe not with this years team yet, but over the last few years id say we rank near top of the list in terms of teams that most schools dread playing.

They know they’ll get nothing easy and will have to D up for most of the shot clock. That’s not what they’re used to and it’s not fun for opposing players.

4 Likes

All those things may be true Jerome but we dont put fear in their heatt. They are not afraid of our personnel and it akkow them tu settle intu their gameplan. When Georgetown ean on the court, the opposite teams would say oh shit. They look intimidating. Even Joe Harris senior yr strike fear intu guys. We were a no nonsense team. You were afraid of Darius, Gill and Akil. Than you had crazy Justin and tough as Londin

You’d think Tony was on the hot seat reading some of the shit in this thread

5 Likes

You’d think that reading any of Tu’s posts. You’d have to search far and wide to find anything remotely positive about Tony. It’s all criticism that he doesn’t play the style he wants us to play, recruit the way we need to recruit, don’t get one and dones, emphasize defense, etc. Criticism is okay and what makes for interesting message board discussion but when you only and consistently find the negative to harp on, the message starts falling on deaf ears.

It would be one thing if we were a struggling program, but we’re reigning national champs and were a 2nd place ACC team last year despite serious personnel issues. Hard not to give a coach the benefit of the doubt with his track record but here we are starting another thread about his supposed shortcomings. And the latest is that we’re not more like Duke?! We don’t strike fear?! It’s getting laughable at this point.

10 Likes

This team is just so inexperienced playing TB’s system in real games. Only Jay and Clark of the upperclassmen have real experience. Tomas Casey played last year but everyone is new and still adjusting. I still think there is a lot of talent and a mediocre ACC this year. Just give it some time.

4 Likes

I do agree somewhat with the “We don’t strike fear” sentiment but I also agree that there are teams that when they see us on the schedule are like “Ugh, fucking Virginia?”. More disgust and frustration than fear (looking at you UNC). We don’t have players that make other coaches be like “F*&^ we can’t let this guy drop a 30 piece on our head” but we do have a system that will grind you out and exhaust you and cause immense suffering to the other team’s fan base.(even if it is prone to upsets to 3pt shooting teams. Unrelated noted but I wonder if Tony will take Dick Bennett’s advice and switch it up to a pressure style defense in the age of a growing population of chuckers).

6 Likes

So we all agree that we’re dumping Tony after the end of the season for Calipari or might he get a reprieve if we win another natty?

7 Likes

Jerome, I agree with those comments. However, I do believe it to be more true with ACC foes. They have experienced that “D”!

2 Likes

It’s not the first board he’s done it on…

3 Likes

As long as the grassroots community likes us and our opponents “fear” us I don’t care how we do!

3 Likes

Completely agree with this. Would add what others also have noted, that there was no team practice for most or all of the summer, a key period for player and team development each year. In addition, the 10 day pause because of COVID came at a really poor time and almost certainly hindered team and player development. And common, except for Suggs, Gonzaga is a veteran team who virtually every analyst ranked #1 in the country once Kispert chose not to enter the NBA draft.

1 Like

Start to season was jacked up, and this was always going to be a hard year to narrow in on a rotation. Think those two factors, along with this year’s back bone (huff, kihei) is significantly softer than last year’s and 2018’s amplifies the depth issue a bit.

Lot of freezing cold takes in this thread. Geez

1 Like

Again Jerome you dont know me well ebough tu toss out accusations. I said klast yr was TB best coaching career. I dont believe we need top 25 players. But if you disagree with my comments. When yu see Tugard. skip his post and read something different. Im not here tu make friends or satisfy anyone. I share my opinion. But you cant lie on me.

The thing that gets to me the most is the different length leash he has for certain players. One guy makes a mistake once and gets yanked. Another guy makes that mistake 4 times and plays 35 minutes.
I know as a coach I would lose my voice in the locker room if I did that repeatedly.
This year’s team has a ton of high upside players. Hardly any of them have been put in the same role and minutes in back to back games. It makes for lack of production and confidence for the team.
Happy for the win against ND, but that was a pretty bad showing against the worst team in the ACC.
A good finish and 3 ND rimmed out threes and they won.
This current version would be death to opponents in the open floor. It happened once against Notre Dame and it was the cleanest press break - clinical.

Why don’t you drop the whole “tu” and “yu” schtick? What’s up with that? Apart from the constant criticism of the program, it makes your posts incredibly annoying and seems to undercut any possible intent on your part of offering constructive comments regarding the program. Of course, I suppose that’s been your intent all along. Tuche.

1 Like