Terry Holland

Just saw he passed away. Rest in peace faithful servant. Condolences to the family, the basketball program and the rest of the UVa community.

17 Likes

Sad to hear. Knew it was likely coming. Always enjoyed my time around Mr. Holland

9 Likes

Extremely classy dude.
I will always remember the image of him, huge smile, golf clapping , as we entered UHall after beating Unc
He stopped the teams first open scrimmage to welcome the football team back to UHall.
Great guy.

11 Likes

Amazing memory there

4 Likes

He was a phenomenal coach and an even better person. Whenever you ran into him, he was always willing to stop and have a chat. He was a great representative of Davidson, UVa and ECU.

13 Likes

ACC network posted this 3 days ago

8 Likes

The best I can say as a coach Coach Holland treated everyone the same. And he treated us like men (when we deserved it). I am sure his one on one conversations with say Bryant Stith and John Crotty were different than a first year me, but he still ALWAYS had them.

Memories

1. Him offering me a full grant n aid at the ols Stockyard in Nashville when they were in 1989 NCAA tourney my HS senior year

2. Coach making me and Bryant Stith waffles one morning on my visit

3. Coach flying to Fayetteville Tennesee at LCHS for my signing day (my HS got excited about these things

4. Walking off the court together after his last game vs Syracuse in the Richmond Coliseum in second round of The Tourney. We lost and Coach walked all the way to the lockerroom with his arm over my shoulder

5. Walking to my seats at the Final Four row 17 behind our bench. I get to the row and look up and it was the Big Whistle that had the aisle seat with Miss Ann Holand. Perfect

30 Likes

I have a memory of a game at U Hall against NC State in 1988 or 89 when there was a promo for crew cuts by the barbers from Barracks Road before the game - and Jimmy V teased the crowd about getting his long hair cut in the chair. I thought Coach Holland got a crew cut.

Anyone remember something like that?

2 Likes

Yessir. I know Coach and Matt Blundin got crew cuts. I felt like it was 89 or 90 since I was on the team. Good fun

3 Likes

As I recall it, Coach Holland had lost some bet with the team and had to get a crew cut? So then the barbers did the promo. (I got a crew cut too in solidarity, but not in UHall. It was a good look!)

4 Likes

Pictures please. No clue why i didnt get one. Maybe was early on the “i aint gonna have hair at some point” realisation

Damn I gotta find out if it was a bet

1 Like

I think around the same time they did a promo where they brought the Food Lion guy to a game and had little masks for fans with Coach on one side and the Food Lion guy on the other. (People thought they looked similar. They didn’t really. Both were great sports about it.)

2 Likes

Sort of a bet.

https://greensboro.com/deal-goes-to-coach-s-head/article_ee04d61e-9cc7-53b3-840d-702edde8ddcb.html

7 Likes

Thats awesome and sounds just like Matty B. Also Fuk Duke

7 Likes

Love it - thanks for making my memory a bit clearer! I did not have the courage to go crew cut - I was in my longer hair phase!

3 Likes

Katstra got one and I remember people thinking oh my gosh is Crotty really going to get a buzz cut of that perfect hair? He did not.

5 Likes

Hahhaaha. Rolling on the floor laughing at that one

Blair Ford got one as well

2 Likes

Only got to meet Terry Holland a handful of times, but what a great, genial, smart, funny, welcoming and gracious man. Adios, Coach.

8 Likes

RIP Coach Holland. Hopefully the 2019 win got into your memory before it began fading.

3 Likes

I spent some time with him out there. He definitely was all into it. And was such a special place where he could run into so many people he may or may not have seen for some time

4 Likes