Thanksgiving/Black Friday Football Picks

mark sanchez fumble GIF

It’s the eleventh anniversary of the Mark Sanchez butt fumble. It must be Thaknsgiving. Ah, the memories.

I’ll be traveling for the next couple of days for the holiday, so I wanted to make sure I got my picks in for the Thursday and Friday games. I’ll post my Saturday picks when Dragon makes his weekly post.

Mississippi State +10.5 vs. Ole Miss Ole Miss is the better team, but Egg Bowls don’t tend to be blowouts. Miss St. has the added incentive of being bowl eligible if they win. More importantly, they have their starting QB back. Prior to his injury, Miss. St. averaged 20 points per SEC game with Will Rogers at the helm (and 36 points per game in two non-SEC games). Without Rogers, they averaged 8 points per game. Rogers returned last week against Southern Miss and led the Bulldogs to a 41 point offensive output. In short, this is not the same Mississippi State team that in mid-season could not get out of its own way. Ole Miss will score, but not enough to cover the spread. Go Bulldogs!

Iowa vs. Nebraska over 25.5 A total less than 26 … wow. Historically, these teams put up some points against each other. The last four years these teams are averaging a total of 46. Of course that’s mostly out the window with Iowa on a run of 6 straight unders and four of those being under 23. Interestingly, the line on this one opened at Iowa -2 and has switched over to Nebraska -2. Presumably the thinking is that Iowa has nothing to gain by winning and will likely not put forth anything other than a bland vanilla effort a week before the Big 10 championship. Meanwhile, Nebraska needs this win to become bowl eligible. Look for the Huskers to get creative in the attempt to score against that Iowa defense. And I don’t care if that creativity works for them or against them. Nebraska is -15 on turnover margin during the season. One turnover or faked punt can take this from a 12-10 under to a 19-10 over. I’m talking myself into this one - give me the over.

UTSA +3.5 vs, Tulane Tulane is 10-1, but I’m not a believer, particularly in its offense. Tulane has yet to score over 35 points in a game, even against some objectively terrible defenses like UAB, North Texas, and Tulsa. They have failed to cover in 6 of their last 8 games. Meanwhile UTSA has been rolling, averaging 41 points per game in their seven game win streak, and covering 5 of those spreads. I picked the Roadrunners and their 7th year QB Frank Harris really early in the year and they let me down. They can make it up to me here late in the season.

Ohio vs. Akron under 41.5 We knew that Ohio was a strong defensive team, but it turns out that Akron is 31st in total defense. Who knew?? Akron hasn’t cleared 14 points on offense in 5 of the last 7 games. Ohio hasn’t cleared 20 In 4 of its last 6. Ohio is the better team, but can’t get to the MAC championship game because Miami (OH) owns the tie-breaker. Let’s go with the under.

Memphis vs. Temple over 64 Temple is 129th in total defense and 133rd in turnover margin (-20). They are likely to turn the ball over a couple of times against Memphis, a team that doesn’t need the help in putting up the points. The Tigers are averaging 45 points per game in their last five. Having said that, they are 2-5 ATS as favorites this year, including three failures to cover in the last 4 weeks when they won and scored 45, 59, and 44 points. I don’t feel comfortable pulling the trigger for them to cover a 13 point spread against a team that is 31st in passing yards this season. In the last two games, Temple QB EJ Warner’s cumulative stats are 49-93 for 603 yards 5 touchdowns and four interceptions. Just the sheer number of passes will extend the game and both the TDs and the INTs tend toward a higher scoring contest. I’ll take the over.

3 Likes

Party foul

3 Likes

Lost you at the Iowa over

1 Like

Have you seen the Iowa offense? 3 games over 20 pts this yr. Any blander and its gonna be skim milk. I’m riding the under train here an attempt for personal history of a 4 week streak of unders on 1 team.

Love the Miss st pick. Couldn’t agree more about the Rogers return coupled with a new temp staff fueling a program. Plus as you mentioned this rivalry usually doesn’t produce blowouts and often gives us wonky endings. Strange things happen in Mississippi after dark.

I’ll get my usual picks up tomorrow.

2 Likes

Lord knows you all are probably right about Iowa … and I’m sure wary about Nebraska being the right time to go with the over … but 25.5 points. A 17-9 final is an over!

We had two spreads this week jump sides. Iowa started off a two point favorite, and Wake started out a 3 point favorite. Both lines shifted all the way over to Nebraska -2 and Syracuse -3. Do those games intrigue you or do you tend to stay away?

1 Like

Oh I’m making the worst mistake you can betting Iowa on enotion not logic. 25pts is practically begging for the over.

Interesting on the line shifts. I have dove into my reasearch yet so I need more data and context. Generally when lines start moving like that I stay away from them because it’s usally an adjustment to the incoming money and not an on the field occurrence. But occasionally I will bite if there’s been word of a player sitting out or bad weather coming in etc. Or the rare occasion when the shift in the line matches my general expectations.

The Iowa shift is intriguing at first look I pegged that as an Iowa -2ish game so to see it swing so hard makes me wonder who knows something I don’t know that’s the sort of line I could bite on if the only context is Nebraska is playing for something and Iowa is not. Because while Iowa doesn’t need this game they don’t want tonwalk into the B1G championship agaisnt OSU or UofM on a loss.

1 Like

I’m off to Alabama for Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday, everyone!

2 Likes

We’re gonna be neighbors!!

Sweating the under 25 for the iowa neb game. 10-10 with 5 to go

I love Gambling

1 Like

I assume this was a fist-pump moment for you with the under:

https://x.com/celebrityhottub/status/1728136752920174615?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

1 Like

This game is a disaster of incompetence. 2 missed fgs 2 blocked fgs. And high schoolers running offense

And now its gonna go to OT just to f’ck with me

1 Like

The ridiculousness it took for that game to stay under the total is insane. I need the professor from the Unbelievable documentary to break down the odds step by step.

5 Likes

Man I was thinking the same thing the last 5 mins of that game had:

• List item 2 ints

• List item poor coaches clock management

• List item actual clock malfunction from the refs and stadium crew

• List item at least 4 terrible dumb penalties

• List item a kicker in the first day of his job

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1728148277713916237

4 Likes

Iowa with the under 5 consecutive weeks every under was <30

4 Likes

1 Like

Hitting the under in the 2nd half by only scoring 3 pts is special.

Said it in another thread but the best part of the B1G expansion will be dynamiting Iowa out of the B1G west and into a real division. It’s a joke that team is a 10 win team.

1 Like

I Cant GIF

I got in the car to return home right after the Iowa game ended. I’m lucky I didn’t have a wreck.

Seventeen points in the first half. I’m sitting pretty. Just need a TD or three FG in the second half.

Oh, my eyes! The second half!

I just knew in the pit of my stomach I was going to lose 13-10. But when Nebraska went wide wide left on the FG attempt with 4 minutes left, I was feeling pretty good. Just need one of these bozo teams to realize that they suck on offense and run out the clock. Two miserable OT possessions later, I’d have my 6 points.

But no. The clock operator screws his own team. Iowa and Nebraska let the glory of a last-minute drive blind them to the fact that they are both freaking incompetent and they start throwing it all over the yard.

Interception. Great - sit on the ball. Interception. Oh crap - I really am going to lose this thing. Running play - break another tackle and put it in the end zone! Now it’s a gimme…but who is this guy kicking for Iowa?? Just trying to get my hopes up, are you? Ok - I’m game. Kick is straight, but is it long enough? Of course it is. (sigh)

3 Likes

I feel for ya brother. That was one of the most bizzare endings I’ve ever seen. I thought for sure it was going to OT and a BS TD to cover.

The back to back interceptions a beautiful display of ineptitude.

And yes the Nebraska clock operator scewing his own team was I don’t habe a word for.

1 Like

I’m actually laughing. Black humor. And it helps that I was 3-2 for the pre-Saturday action.

Will Rogers was not as healthy as I had been led to believe. Got lucky that Mississippi State covered that one by a half point.

Memphis and Temple scored touchdowns on the last two meaningless possessions to hit the over.

I can’t complain … but it’s fun to do so on a game like that!

1 Like