The next JWilly Show?

Yea, I watched Williams on that play and he did just like you said. He basically forgot about Reece

2 Likes

I think Roach should have popped out once Williams slid down into the paint, but Roach was too busy trying to body Shedrick without realizing Williams was right there.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I heard some talk it may have been Roach’s responsibility.

Duke thinks they want to switch and rotate etc etc but from what I saw they are not very good at it and rely on athleticism and length to make up for that.

Its a bold strategy Cotton

6 Likes

Been their issue for yrs now and why they are so quick to switch to zone to cover up fof lack of discipline

2 Likes

Exactly. And that 3/4 court press lasted maybe 2 possessions?

2 Likes

They were awful at guarding off-ball. And that’s always the key against UVA’s blocker/mover. They’ve gotten really good now at making the right reads. Coach K was right when he said they need more prep time to play against UVA for exactly that reason. They usually throw some twists in on D. Tried to play it straight up this time, and got carved up as he put it. So they resorted to a zone.

12 Likes

Dam I thought I noticed something smart. Guess all the smart guys saw the obvious haha

3 Likes

I don’t doubt Williams was supposed to stay with Reece. But I question K’s decision to have him guard the in-bounds, especially after the timeout. In a regular set without the short clock, they’d switch back. Asking your young big to do something so different than he’s used to in that situation with the game on the line, seems a little questionable. Just to make it a little more difficult to inbounds.

5 Likes

100 percent. He did his “job” guarding the lil guy inbounding. it is hardly instinctive to follow the guard after the inbound so he was kinda running around lost. Id be shocked if Williams ever drilled that play

5 Likes

5 Likes

Exactly. Williams guarding the inbound pass makes sense with under 2 seconds left (only time for a catch and shoot) or 20 seconds left (plenty of time to switch back), but 7 seconds meant he had to stay with his man. So with Duke’s decision and one UVA backscreen, now Williams and Banchero are covering Reece and Kihei and I think Roach on Shedrick? That’s about as outcoached as you can get on one play. But Williams chasing the ball really broke them down.

Edit: For Banchero’s part, he did as good a job covering both Kihei AND Reece as anyone could.

4 Likes

Agreed, classic out coaching. I think they liked what happened when Williams was on Kihei and they forced the time out, and then they fell in love with that decision and kept to the same plan even after we swapped in Reece to inbound. Basically K didn’t match Tony’s counter, and he lost for it.

for those that prefer apple, spotify, youtube. They are all live.

5 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. All you got to do is look at where all their players was. I don’t think Coach K told him to guard Reece because that would have been crazy. Williams took the blame for it but I’m more inclined to say it was Coach K’s fault because Williams was running all over the place. You are right. By K putting him on the inbound passer it put the team defense in a bad spot.

4 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

When’s the next time we’re getting an episode?

1 Like

Was Jay and his dads bday yesterday! (un related to the question)

1 Like

That didn’t answer anything but happy birthday to Jwilly and pops

5 Likes

There was some excellent sombrero wearing, I’m told.

2 Likes