TJ Power Watch

UVA fans, and maybe all fans but I only follow UVA closely, do have a tendency to overrate our chances with recruits. How many times have we thought we were right in the top 2 or 3 with a recruit to find out we weren’t close at the end?

3 Likes

I am happy to drop any bags we can put together to the appropriate NIL recepient I dont care if you cheat, just dont do it illegaly

4 Likes

This seems like more of an opinion piece than “here’s what my sources are telling me”

4 Likes

This is meaningless. Rob Cassidy does not have the scoop here

4 Likes

I don’t think we frequently find out we thought we were close but didn’t really have a chance at all? I actually struggle to come up with recruitments that fit that bill

1 Like

Fine if you don’t think so … I know I was a much better player at 19 than I was at 17.
He turns 19 in 6 weeks.

4 Likes

I agree. This entire paragraph about Duke is pure conjecture.

His actions support those words, as Power essentially rushed to visit Durham following this year’s Peach Jam. There seems to be a sense of urgency when it comes to his relationship with the program, which is oftentimes an indicator.

4 Likes

Didn’t he rush because his time for his first round of officials was running out?

3 Likes

I agree with this. the % of your development at those ages is enormous. Unless you are like a Lebron or Zion or whatever of course

6 Likes

Looked like a courtesy visit to me. Same with UNC. Respect the offer, jam in a quick visit and get it out of the way.

2 Likes

I hope that’s the case. But regardless of his final intention, I wouldn’t have passed up a visit to Duke or UNC.

1 Like

Yea that dude knows less than the VIP members of this board lol and not just saying that because of this report. Cassidy ain’t no Bossi or Jamie Shaw.

3 Likes

Same. Would definitely go take a look. But every day that goes by strengthens my belief that Power is not going to either one.

2 Likes
9 Likes

“…why not attempt to sort through the noise, based on logic, whispers and vibes? It may be a race too close to call, but it’s certainly not too close to analyze.”

Yeah, not even attempting to purport any inside information. This is an opinion piece. It may turn out to be correct, but no more valid than anything posted on this board.

Interesting as well that he would list us as having supplanted ND instead of BC having been the one to knock them out. Although he notes that TB has personally handled Power’s recruitment, he seems to downplay that relationship at least when compared to McCaffery. I feel like Power’s comments have stressed a very strong relationship with TB. We shall see.

5 Likes

Great for us. Keeps reiterating that he cares a lot about the relationships before July - doesn’t want the people listening to think the blue bloods are the game changer (he says “to be clear…” at one point).

2 Likes

These guys are really goood. Also TJ Powerlanche will be a Wahoo

Thanks for sending

11 Likes

Agree with both of you. The question is really whether this is an overall plus or minus. The downside that Dave is warning of is that he looks better than he is as a man amongst boys right now. But the flip side is that he comes in as a much more physically, mentally, and emotionally mature First Year, able to put up quality minutes from the start, take coaching much better, and develop that much faster.

From what I see and read about him, I’m willing to bet on the latter as the more probable scenario. And I really want him and will hate to see him at Duke or UNC.

5 Likes

First, thanks to @HOOS , this one is worth a full watch. Lots of good stuff to chew on.

Second, good to get a sense of his personality, which I didn’t really have much of before. He’s got a Bennett-personality type, if you know what I mean. Blue-bloods will be tough to overcome. His gushing love of Fran will be tough to overcome. Hometown hero status may be tough to overcome.

But this interview seems to confirm the trend: we have a good chance here. Is good 51%? Is good 15%? Is good, “always nice to finish third to Duke and UNC…” I don’t know…

13 Likes

Agreed. Everything positive he says about other schools he sort of counters it with stuff about Virginia.

For example, Iowa he talks about how Fran says he can play with freedom. Then Virginia: “People get caught up in the pace of Virginia, but the way I look at it that’s a product of their defense. They don’t do too much on offense different from other teams.”

Also says “I love it down there” talking about the campus.

Also also, he says “obviously …” when describing good attributes of other schools. None of that with Virginia - he just says what’s good. Like he believes it more.

If you are just going on his comments, honestly I’d put odds at 60% for Hoos right now. Then I’d put Iowa in second. But that’s just his comments.

10 Likes