Top 10 Football Hoos who can Hoop

Alright so this one has been bouncing around on the 2020 Football season thread, and I figured I’d break it out for further discussion. We are looking for your top 10 list of football players who can also play basketball. For those of you who attended UVA, Slaughter Gym was home to some epic pick-up games, and plenty of gridiron stars took to the court during open run to show their skills. Beyond that, plenty of guys suited up in high school and for the Hoos at U-Hall. Who ya got?

In no particular order:

Larry Holmes
Terry Kirby
Matt Blundin
Aaron Mundy
Will Brice
Chris Slade
Herman Moore
Percy Ellsworth
Mark Dixon (sneaky real good)
Mark Cooke

honorable mention: Shawn Moore, Tyrone Davis and Tim Moss

2 Likes

That’s a legit good list. Some flat out amazing athletes that probably could excel in any sport they played.

Yessir. was just thinking the same

Was looking at some NFL records the other day, and has there been a more slept on player than Herman Moore? Dude was a stud at everything he did.

2 Likes

There were few years when he was HoF level. Think had some injuries

3 Likes

Played/Went to HS/graduated with Cedric Peerman (William Campbell Generals, Naruna VA, same HS as Charles Haley/and Travis Watson for a YR)…really good RB at UVA…didn’t play HS bball as a SR after he had already signed but he was good, Vic Hall from Gretna was same year and also pretty good…few yes later, lol, but Juan Thornhill went to Altavista (KC Chiefs now) and he was also pretty damn good…

2 Likes

where @IAmBallHawk at?

2 Likes

Lot’s of dudes from my old stomping grounds on that list: H. Moore (Danville), M. Cooke & S. Moore (Martinsville), and T. Davis (Halifax). Southern Piedmont VA Hoopers represent! And we’ll claim M. Dixon from nearby Jamestown, NC, while we’re at it.

3 Likes

I’ll throw a couple Roanoke guys from my era in there. Shannon Taylor could play, Patrick Henry HS teammate of Curtis Staples. Walt Derey was pretty good too, 6’7 banger with some skill. General rule, tight ends can hoop.

5 Likes

We’ll go ahead and claim these young’uns as well! Campbell and Pittsylvania counties need some hoop love too!

1 Like

I played some pickup with Billy Griggs back in the day at Slaughter. I can attest to the truth of this statement.

2 Likes

Great point

Didn’t know you were a WC guy. They had a helluva 4X100 team around that time Pearman was on it and who was the QB? All those guys came through just after me. I remember watching Vic Hall play his freshman year when I was back from college…

1 Like

Random one for y’all Billy Baber, I believe he was part of a state championship team at Western. He’s a few yrs ahead of me but was the poster child for Charlottesville athletics.

1 Like

@BDragon Shea Boyd, State Champions when me and Ced were Jrs…rolled in State Championship at JMU 70-0 against Appalachia

1 Like

Shea Boyd…yep remember him. I remember coming home and seeing the score to that game, and taking a double take. I think it was Shea and Ceds freshmen yr was my senior year. We had yal for homecoming, and was chasing Shea everywhere in that spread. We kept it close for about a half and then it got ugly if I recall. I got a big hit on one of the WC LB’s I remember that damn near knocked us both out.

1 Like

@BDragon

Vern and Shea still my boy’s…get to see em every once in a while when everyone can be back in Gladys/Lburg…

1 Like

Brad Bradley brought that Spread to the Dogwood…deadly witht those athletes…especially back then…Shea and Vern were a yr ahead we graduated in '04…

1 Like

Those WC v Gretna games were Primetime… and pretty wild back then lol

1 Like