Top 10 Football Hoos who can Hoop

and Yoke is an waaaaaay under used term these days. Thank you for that @GMoney

4 Likes

@DFresh11, when I get overly nostalgic, I start throwing around the old '80’s slang.

my friends say I pressed the pause button around 1993 so same for me. Love the older guys saying how the big man (Ralph) was always there to “clean it up”

2 Likes

Fresh is for sure living too much in 92 and aint nothing wrong with that. My sense of music/fashion/lingo all stopped in my peak in 03

2 Likes

go with what you know @BDragon

2 Likes

I heard great stories about Don Majkowski as a hoops player. Could throw down!

1 Like

No doubt. My first year, I played pickup against Majik at Slaughter. I telegraphed a lazy pass to the wing. He picked it off, took it to the other end, stuck it between his shoulder blades, and tomahawked it. When he came back down the floor, he winked at me and said, “Nice pass.”

I saw Don at halftime of the 2011 Chick-Fil-A Bowl and told that story to him and his family. Majik and his sons just laughed. His wife shook her head and said, “Yeah, sounds like him.”

3 Likes

wow. never knew that but not surprised. QBs tend to be overall athletes. And it makes sense. Baseball basketball and QB

3 Likes

Percy Ellsworth and Keith Lyle could play. Lyle was more of a banger. Ellsworth was smooth like he was on the field.

A couple years earlier, my IM team played Holmes, Slade, Mundy and others. Slade was a monster. A lot of fun to play them…of course, I had a couple former varsity hoops walk-ons that were helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TMac on your squad?

Vince Redd. Wasn’t he on the basketball team at one point? Had to be good to be on the team

I dont remember that name. Definitely not on any of our teams. Holmes was a real player and Percy played on the team after I was done. Freaky athlete too and awesome dude

1 Like

You’re right about Redd. Was on the 03-04 team as a first year. Played in 1 game for a minute according to Sports Reference.

2 Likes

DFresh, how about Elton Toliver?

1 Like

man I thought about him as well. Definitely Honorable Mention. great call

1 Like

I’ll never forget playing football against him in high school. He was a 6’ 2” - 230 lb tailback and I was 5’ 8” 150 lb Cb. He’s in wide open space running around left end about 5 yards downfield and I’m the only defender. I took him head on and still don’t remember what hit me. :joy::rofl: I’ve run into him at work two or three times in the last year.

1 Like

Here’s one I kinda remember… backup running back… class of 96… bounced at Biltmore… I think his name is was Bryant something… apparently beat Corey 1:1… who am I thinking of?

1 Like

Ha I dont know but no chance he beat CA one on one

2 Likes

No idea what his game is like and I’ve never seen him play, but Nash Griffin was Kyle Guy’s basketball teammate in high school.

4 Likes

True obviously Guy played on a good program, so you can assume Nash was solid at least. He’s shown some athleticism on the football field as well.