Top Games of the Decade

@Hoosthechamp I always felt like London “liked” playing from behind and was always calm an unnerved enough to make the comebacks (usually). I actually asked TB about it once…

1 Like

Yeah that’s a staple play of Bennett’s. He likes to go to it when he feels the team just needs a bucket. Ran it a lot with Kyle over the years. Essentially is a double pin down screen on the block for guard cutting off or between the two screeners. It’s meant to get the guard, in this case Brogdon, the ball for an open shot. The genius of this particular game and play is that with around fifty seconds left they ran that play and got Brogdon an open corner three that he hit. So, Bennett went back to it, but expected Cal to anticipate what was coming and help down to Brogdon at the catch, so he designed for Gill, one of the screeners, to pop up and set a flare screen for Perrantes (who had just passed to Brogdon) who was then wide open for that shot that won them the game with roughly ten seconds left.

2 Likes

You explain it much better than I can… and if you watch this play without knowing what happened before it appears obvious that they were aware of what would come (over play on Brogdon) and knew best way to get London The shot here. Over and Over these teams are prepared and produce these results.

2 Likes

I might have to include the Pitt game with the Joe dummy and the Malcolm shot for the win. I remember telling my family that this happens to us, we don’t do this to other teams. Expect for Sean Singletary of course!

3 Likes

Yeah, that was a thriller. I went more for long term impact than entertainment level/how good of a game it was. But that’s another example we’ve talked about where Bennett drew up a play that won them the game

1 Like

That for me, in the Bennett era, is one of the first games I can remember where we pulled victory from the jaws of defeat. I remember tons of late losses to the ACC blue bloods back in the day. That ability/belief has served Virginia well, as others have mentioned, like Wake, Louisville, and the tourney run.

1 Like

Yeah, and while we can credit Bennett with getting the team shots, what made those wins and specifically last year’s team so spectacular was that there were a plethora of shot makers he could turn to. As we all know, Ty, Kyle, Dre, and Mamadi to a lesser (but obviously vry important) extent could hit the big shot.

2 Likes

Yo I just read this and it is really freakin awesome. Super well written. Bravo to @brogdonfanpage. I really really recommend checking this out if you haven’t yet

1 Like