Top Games of the Decade

6 Likes

A chronological breakdown of the decade in Virginia basketball through the greatest wins and the most meaningful losses.

1 Like

As always you guys do an amazing job. Personally would add Gardner Webb. I was watching at work and my entire wall street job was watching on their computers as well. The place was completely quiet for that first half which was pretty cool. No one said one word to me and we usually talk shit all day every day

5 Likes

Keep it simple. I love this story!

3 Likes

yeah felt like I could include just about all tourney games from last season. Was also thinking of including the the FSU acc semis loss, but felt like I should spread it out a little more since I already had four games from last season. Wasn’t as much a ranking as a synopsis of uva basketball throughout the last decade.

2 Likes

Man i was so happy we lost that game. Will argue with anyone how valuable that was to our NCAA run and win

3 Likes

Agree that FSU may be the most underrated loss. Made the guys find that extra grit and resolve that made the Garner Webb game and others possible

1 Like

even more it gave them rest. Winning the 3 day tourney takes so much energy and focus.

2 Likes

exactly, another day to rest, to focus on the task at hand rather than the distraction that is the conference tourney. Winning the conference tourney is great, and you shouldn’t purposely lose, but that one day can be very critical. Losing that game is also another opportunity to address your weaknesses and study film accordingly.

1 Like

Great point. Rest is an invaluable commodity

1 Like

Great story, great list. Thanks for putting it together.

Another game I think could go on the list is 2018 at Louisville. The insane ending, avoiding a second ACC loss, the fact it was in the same building as Oregon an Purdue a year and a month later. In some ways a preview of the how-did-they-pull-that-out wins in the title run.

4 Likes

the darius bank in vs wake was huge too…showed we could pull off a miracle

3 Likes

Another one that I was lucky to be at maybe 3 years ago was a stacked California team at home that we pulled out in OT. Very high level of play all night.

1 Like

was actually 2015.

Yea they have become almost commonplace in UVA basketball now. After the Purdue and Oregon game I was sort of expecting us to win even though we were 3 down with only seconds to play in the Championship game

Incredible!!!

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

I was there too, great atmosphere, just a few days after a big win against nova. Gutsy win despite some ugly play. Specifically remember Brogdon stripping Jaylen brown at the end of regulation

London’s 3 to win it is great example of TB out of timeout set play for shot. London sells it perfectly and great screen by AG. Malcolm calm as youd like and trusted the play instead of trying to do it himself.

1 Like