Transfer Portal

Watch a Memphis game this year. That’s a worst case scenario but man that’s a ton of potential wasted by a lack of a PG. I don’t want that for even 5 minutes a game. Let alone the possibility of injury. Unless we are going to legitimately turn Malachi into a rotation player we need another PG.

2 Likes

Remember when Braxton played point forward? Was wildly successful when he got the chance.

2 Likes

Translation - I’d love to have Kihei playing point in all the minutes Reece is on the bench.

1 Like

I think one of the best points you make on all this stuff is that Kihei would be better at what he’s good at it, in particular the on-ball pesky defense, if he played fewer minutes. But this is all moot. Tony ain’t changing (and the team ain’t improving b/c Tony ain’t changing).

Though, I want to be clear – Tony is a great coach. For example, we are running the absolute perfect inefficient offense. If there were a prize for creating the absolute perfect offense for a team that is pretty good from the mid range, bad from the perimeter, and doesn’t really get to the hoop that well … we would win that prize.

I’m being honest about this, albeit in a joky manner. This offense is honestly impressive. But it’s impressive in, like, a butter sculpture way. On one hand – wow, great butter sculpture. On the other – can someone remind me why we are sculpting with butter?

5 Likes

Love your writing skills - It’s like my brain to your pen.

1 Like

I think this whole discussion about point guards ignores a significant element. When Virginia is at its best, ball movement is the key, and that ball movement is dependent on all five players. Often in the past, I’ve said that I thought Coach Bennett would be happiest with three combo guards in the back court. That doesn’t mean that they all have to have Beekman’s ball handling skills, or that they all have to shoot the ball like Kyle Guy, or defend like Devon Hall. However, it does mean that they all have to do a bit of everything. Also, for the most part, Virginia’s offense is at its worst when the ball is sticking in one player’s hands. Obviously, there is a need for a primary ball handler, however I am a bit skeptical that the staff needs to add another high school PG to the 2022 class (or, a transfer) if Clark doesn’t return. I suspect that between Beekman, Franklin, McCorkle, McKneely, and, possibly, Bond, Coach Bennett can fashion a suitable solution. As of this moment, point guard is not a worry for me.

Another problem with not adding another PG is coaches really should at least attempt to plan for injuries. If Reece rolls an ankle and has to miss a month we are SOL with that group. Guess we could try to make Armaan work but I’d rather have this year be the only one we miss the tournament.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s the Reece! injury factor that worries me, not the 5 minutes a game he’s not on the floor. That and if gets into foul trouble at an inopportune time and sits for 12 minutes.

3 Likes

On the other hand, there are a limited number of scholarships available. Virginia is in the process of recruiting London Johnson. Which high school point guards, who can actually contribute, are going to want to come to Virginia knowing they will sit behind Beekman for two years, and, if the staff gets a commitment from Johnson, who will likely be a career bench player? It seems to me that Coleman is probably as good as any prep player Virginia might get. The same also goes for a transfer. Does the staff want to pursue someone who knows they will be sitting on the bench? Of course there is a risk of injury to any player, but I am not certain that pursuing a high school point guard this spring is the way to prepare for such a risk.

Since you brought Johnson into this directly and we aren’t talking hypotheticals anymore: he’s most likely going to be the 2nd PG we are talking about here. All signs point to him coming to UVA as a 2022.

Reece Beekman
Aminu Mohammed
Taine Murray (1 year in the US under his belt)
Igor Milicic (1 year in the US under his belt)
Kadin Shedrick

London Johnson and Trey Kaufman first off the bench. Traudt McKneely and Dunn 15 minutes each. Leon Bond and Kaleb Glenn (he can reclass somehow but only 17) redshirt

Play a soft full court press and then fall back into packline for 20 seconds (pressing will also help with expanding rotation to give fresher bodies more minutes. Pressing not to create turnovers outside reece but kill clock so less time to execute vs packline).

No I will never wake up.

My honest guess at a UVA starting lineup this time next year?

Beekman
Franklin
McKneely
Gardner
Shedrick

…and they’ll be in contention for the ACC title.

29 Likes

McKneely over taine. Interesting but also yeah McKneely is going to bring that 2ndary ball handling as well as the no hesitation open 3s.

If Armaan can just be a 30% 3pt shooter next year, he can help bring the defensive versatility and guard wings/be our slasher.

No idea what jump Gardner makes next year. Just more consistent shooting? His defense is limited not to his own fault, like hauser. Feel like he is what he is and maybe can improve conditioning which helps with positioning?

Armaan has not earned a starting spot for next year as a guard.
I’d love to see a real Acc lineup.
Reece Isaac Igor Isaac and Sheds
I only want Armaan to get less than 20 min a game and same for Gardner if he’s back.
But would rather see Traudt Bond Sheds and Papi be the only bugs in the rotation—- Igor some as small ball 4

How do I start a poll o/u number of glasses of wine or bourbon…HGN had at dinner…

But of course hope you’re correct

3 Likes

If Gardner comes back (mixed for me. I love his personality and I love his individual offensive skill set like I loved Hauser’s but the defense is shaky with him in the lineup also like Hauser/we need a Kaufman type) I just want to do him right and atleast give him some floor spacing that he deserves. Heck Kadin was shooting 3s in HS. Develop Kadin’s outside shot so he can also pick n pop and also give reece and armaan more slashing room.

I think what we’re learning this year and should have already known is that the system includes experience in the system. That’s part of the recipe under TB. Playing for TB isn’t like playing for anyone else. Gotta develop habits, and break old ones. Gonna write a whole article on this at some point so don’t wanna spoil it all lol

As for Franklin. Said it before, people focus on the terrible 3%, and understandably. But what if I told you that if his 3% for January coming into tonight, which wasn’t great like 34% I think, carried over the full year…he’d be scoring at a more efficient clip than any guard on the '13-14 team? The one with 4 NBA players. Everything else has improved so much, all he had to be is adequate from three and he’s a helluva an offensive player.

13 Likes

If he shoots his avg from 2pt tonight then UVA wins. But woulda, shoulda…

I think experience is very important, and why McKneely’s experience with packline will put him in the starting line up like you theorized. But I think athletic players can be quick to adjust to the packline, especially since their athleticism may help cover some of their early deficiencies. Of course you have super raw players like Mamadi Diakite who are new to basketball in general and still developing their court awareness.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I thought he looked better on defense despite having to guard on the perimeter the whole game. I thought he moved his feet well and was fairly alert. I’m putting the 3s he gave up to Nate L on the scheme, he was clearly asked to plant himself at the FT line to stop Wesley from turning the corner off of pick-and-rolls.

5 Likes