Transfer Portal

I mean 2.5 sounds like Taine + Igor with Carson a maybe,

But not that I’d ever wish it, but what’s to stop Reece from moving to a Top 10 program that moves at a pace that better compliments his offense…

That last comment is more to say “you never know” and the portal keeps those possibilities always open.

Reece has developed amazingly in our program. He’s first in the country in assist to turnover here and he will most likely be the acc DPOY next season. He’s going to play 40 minutes a game for us next season. He knows more talent is on the way with the 2022 class. He knew exactly what he signed up for pace wise and he is still thriving and we have yet to see his 2nd to 3rd year leap. I get the pessimism but now we are just going full blown doom and gloom lol.

3 Likes

Only way I see Reece possibly transferring is if Kihei gets the green light to stay

1 Like

Oh yeah, I don’t think he actually has any chance or transferring. Just one of those things that with todays rules you can never say never.

1 Like

If it’s 2.5, the .5 sounds like Kihei.

4 Likes

I’m thinking it’s a bet on Carson and either Igor and or Zaine, but maybe not both. If I’m Zaine I don’t see how I’m playing much next year if Franklin averages 30+, Malachi still is in the mix, and one or more of the freshmen get run. The funny thing is that the clearest path to minutes next year (secondary ball handler) has no obvious taker. Come on down Mr. Johnson.

1 Like

I could Murray and McCorkle but Igor? Where would he go. There’s no tape on him at a higher level.

1 Like

Of all the players to leave the program who went on to thrive? Shayock comes to mind but for others even if they gor more mins they weren’t burning up the nets. Am I wrong?

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to think if anyone has stuck in the NBA for a few seasons after transferring out of UVa… I can’t think of one.

1 Like

Depends what the standard is. Lots of guys had very nice careers elsewhere: Jesperson, Barnette, D. Thompson, Shayok, and KT Harrell. Billy Baron scored a ton. Will Regan went to a tourney (but had to play for Hurley brother - yikes).

If the standard is : who do we regret losing? That’s a tougher question, but I can think of a game where we needed a shooter without a conscience when we had injuries and lost a pretty memorable game…

1 Like

Same Shayock was in the g league and i thunk he went to Europe

There’s a lot of angles to the point and I think all of the ones you raised are true

Which makes me think it’s just tbe cost of doing business and is less of a deal than we make of it

4 Likes

I think, analytically, we need to separate out out pre-portal (really, one year sit out) from post-portal (last year and this year). I don’t think the issue with the guys we lost last year is that any of them were that great, but that losing 3 guys, including 2 guys from the rotation, is bad for continuity.

4 Likes

Agree all around. I’m speaking from the context of the current world. I think the new standard for all programs is keep your key guys and minimize the attrition to the rest of the roster. Because every year someone is leaving you just dont want 3 or 4 eap rotation guys walking out the door.

2 Likes

All this transfer talk right now is just speculation based off people who are around reading into players behavior. I swim in some of the same circles as where that’s coming from, and have heard the same stuff. They haven’t had those convos yet. The feedback players get is a big part of those decisions. Unlike last year, there’s no one that people believe is definitely transferring. Just the usual concerns over a few.

We’ll put out feelers when the season ends to try to keep subscribers in the loop of what’s really going on as always.

27 Likes

To HGN’s point, I’m just talking and I’m sorry if I came off like I know something more than anyone else here.

I mention Igor in that group because he has a number of options he could prefer, like returning home, or playing for another program that doesn’t emphasize the defensive scheme like we do, but I had no idea. He could very well love UVA, Tony, and is patient with the process.

2 Likes

It’s no secret there is and was some major dissatisfaction with playing time and opportunity this year. The 3 M’s are obvious candidates for transfer but we’ll see if they make the jump. CTB going to have some tough convos. I’m betting at least 2 of the 3 leave. Igor’s a project and if he can buy in to the development piece, I think that’s best for both parties. His dad is who you’ve gotta convince though. Taine not getting any run in this calendar year is concerning. I had really high hopes for him but that’s looking like a miss. McCorkle probably best suited to drop a level.

3 Likes

If there is one lesson from the last couple of cycles it should be to avoid players with foot speed concerns. Doesn’t matter how intriguing a player might otherwise be if his feet are too slow on defense he’s not going to get PT from Tony.

12 Likes

GM Tony has done a poor job recently of finding the attributes that Coach Tony seems to like. I wish those two would get on the same page. (Hopefully our coach and GM had a heart to heart prior to ‘22 recruiting class — because, despite their differences, those two need to get along for us to succeed).

15 Likes

Nobody has ever given a decent answer to this (I’ve never even seen in unsatisfactory answer, tbh), so I’ll ask again: Igor and Sochan are roughly the same size and played roughly the same position for Orange Academy. Igor outplayed him slightly.

And Sochan got 30ish minutes on a 1-seed and is going to be in the lottery.

Igor couldn’t find the floor on a 6-seed NIT team and never played more than 13 minutes against cupcakes.

I know that a large explanation here is just athleticism, but it’s not all of it. I think another part of the explanation is that (1) Tony had a bad strategy for this season, that (2) he poorly executed.

I know that most (or at least some) of you think I’m wrong and dumb, so if anyone wants to engage me and tell me why I’m wrong and dumb, I’d be happy to hear it.

6 Likes