Transfer tracking

Still follows the leaving MSU narrative.

1 Like

I really could see him anywhere at this point. And underrated aspect of the new transfer rule is that it substantially decreases the risk associated with a “risky” commitment. If Keels decides to roll the dice with UK or Duke, then his worst case is that he spends a year riding the bench and then transfers after a year without a penalty

Hopefully Kessler will be careful his 2nd go around. Honesty and stability should be big on his wishlist. He went to UNC to play a style they don’t feature. I have no clue what Roy told him or didn’t. If you transfer and it doesn’t work out at your 2nd school your career is in jeopardy. Is there anymore trustworthy coach than Bennett? Jay played the way Walker wants to. That’s 2 things in our favor. Obviously he has a lot of suitors. We should be high on his list. I love his rebounding rate too.

1 Like

Would still have the minor penalty of losing a year of eligibility - granted he is thinking he won’t need all 4 years. But still risky for all the non-draftee types

1 Like

Kessler would have been #1 in the ACC in both offensive rebounding % and total rebound % with enough minutes to qualify.

2 Likes

Look what I found!

HoozGotNext

Sep '19

I’ve heard tidbits from two different folks on this now, so I feel good enough about it to pass along. The story here seems to be that Brakefield actually reached out to Virginia. He and Beekman are tight of course, so he’s been hearing good things and they like playing together. He’s not completely happy with where his recruitment is, probably because he expected some bigger fish to bite.

So we have a shot. but will need to survive his upcoming visits. Michigan and Ole Miss look like the top threats. Michigan has a real and immediate need for someone like him and Ole Miss to their credit has recruited him much harder than everyone else.

HoozGotNext

Sep '19

This is a good interview with Brakefield from Phenom Hoop Report on their open gym tour. It was done before Tony’s visit, so there’s no talk of Virginia. But there’s some insight into what he’s looking for. Two things stand out to me. He refers to himself as a guard, and talks about the importance of coaches “trust” in him. I think what he means by that is trusting him to be more than a traditional 4-man. Virginia’s one of the few teams that’s shown a willingness to go big with someone like him at the 3 spot.

1 Like

No thanks on Brakefield. Was hesitant when his name first popped up after watching him (and Johnson) play with Reece. Then he committed to Duke. Then he went out of his way not to play defense for Duke. Wouldn’t even consider reaching out to him if it was up to me given our style of play. Kid needs to go somewhere run and gun. Maybe Bruce Pearl will give him a call :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Geronimo from Indiana just entered the portal. We had a visit with him late in his recruitment.

5 Likes

He supposedly picked Indiana over us. Not sure of the fit now.

A little but don’t think they’ll be involved. There are some head scratching transfers, that’s one.

5 Likes

Total 2020 Transfers: 1026 …
2021 Transfers in Portal To Date: 863

5 Likes

You would think developing under Ewing would be a GREAT spot for a center like him. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah but I felt like Coach was never fully comfortable with playing his bigs out, too finessy (it’s a word). I don’t know if he wants to continue that but Coach also said “you can’t coach 7 feet.”

That’s one reason we covet Keels so much. He’s big and strong enough to defend and rebound when we become inverted.

2 Likes

Wow, just saw Jalen Cone is leaving Tech. That surprises me but then again, in the current environment, nothing should.

5 Likes

I wonder what percentage of players entering the transfer portal will evaluate their options and return to their current schools. I also wonder how coaches are viewing this - are they willing to re-recruit their guys that enter the portal or if the feeling is more “if you don’t want to be here, then we don’t want you here”.

5 Likes

Think the Storm Murphy transfer rubbed some guys the wrong way

1 Like

Lou Kurger retiring. Anyone at Oklahoma we want to poach?

1 Like

I’m probably in the minority but would love Jalen Cone. No chance though.

He got cold at the end of the season but he was high energy and could score.

2 Likes