Transfer tracking

I would also argue that If Justin could shoot and defend like Mamadi at the 4 then he could have written his ticket here…now I know Mamadi was an ELITE athlete, so adjusting for that if he could have played defense like Isiah Wilkins and shot like Mamadi then he would have been happier…But in order to reach those peaks he would have had to really wanted to work hard this summer. Oh well.

2 Likes

Did you have any indication UVA was in contention?

Nah just my own fanfic. Athletic stretch 4 in close vicinity. Im sure the staff have like 10 targets in case Jayden Gardner goes to the wuffies.

1 Like

which is why i pointed out multiple times that it’s flawed lol. i don’t think anyone was treating it as factual. it’s simply interesting.

1 Like

bridgehoo and Czar on TheSabre (both guys seem to have some contacts close to the program) just posted this in response to a question about Gardner and Franklin’s recruitment. Could be an exciting weekend. Hope we’re not let down.

5 Likes

Bridgehoo doesn’t ave any connections. Everything he posts comes from other sites.

THECZAR, however, is well connected, as is EspressHoo, and ShenanHOOah has inside info as well sometimes.

But in the terms of the Sabre that’s it when it comes to basketball “gurus.”

8 Likes

Will always say, if CZAR or ExpressHoo are talking, it’s worth listening to. Outside of that, I’ve largely stopped following that board. Hard to beat LRA.

4 Likes

I think UVAdeac92 has had some good stuff before

2 Likes

Well actually Mckoy was a good shooter in high school and I was a little surprised he didn’t get much time on the perimeter. That being said his energy is what I really hated losing. Next year I’m hoping a couple of guys will step up and show the energy and hustle that can be addictive to the whole team

4 Likes

The Czar best be a baller to use that name. By the way

3 Likes

I like LRA for more on-topic conversations and following things that are happening, but I like the Sabre more for general talk and interactions. I think the Sabre board format is more conducive to that. You get a lot of great threads on the Sabre too, but they get buried quickly. It’s almost more of a text group chat than a message board. There are pros and cons to both formats.

In terms of things that aren’t really that big in the grand scheme of things but are annoying, The Sabre board format is up there pretty high for me. I think it was around 2001 or 2002 I told the Admin there that the format was outdated…almost 20 years ago.

7 Likes

Yeah I remember his higshchool videos and thought he would be an immediate impact shooter. He took a couple of threes over the past couple of seasons and did make a few. I think he would have really worked on his shooting this off-season to really be a threat.

Defensively- you’re right that he has *energy which translates into some rebounds and put backs as we saw towards the end of the year. I also thought that he would take another step defensively this off-season to be more Wilkins like.

If you remember Wilkins trajectory his first year he was *very springy and I recall him grabbing some rebounds and blocking some shots. He didn’t have the pressure either so he definitely provided a lot of energy off the bench. He then got stronger and was able to play position defense, and was a vocal leader defensively for the team.

I could have seen Justin being in that mold except with a much better shot a la Mamadi his last season here. Man if only he was a little bit more patient he could have had a break out season this upcoming season.

1 Like

I agree. His role would have been much larger this year. Evidently he wants to play the 3

2 Likes

McKoy was still in the building up phase of Bennett’s “tear you down to build you up” timeline. I am generally not too bothered with any player’s transfer. This one is different. He had the ability to be an incredibly versatile 4 and a perfect fit for what Bennett wants to do. Really bothered by the unfulfilled promise there.

Now, On the flip side, I don’t think he was super happy. I’m not going to tell a kid what he should and shouldn’t be doing with his athletic and academic careers. If he wants to handle the ball and shoot 25 footers, that’s not what Virginia Basketball needs/needed and maybe it is best that he moved on. Gonna always be a “what if” for me though.

7 Likes
35 Likes

My read on McKoy is that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If we had scoring guards like when we had Kyle and Ty and at least one offensive threat in the paint, he would be a great glue guy, which is what I suspect UNC envisions for him. But we really, really need scorers next year, and he is never going to be a big scorer at the ACC level. In order to ensure that we have a solid chance to put a lineup on the court that can score enough points to win games, we almost have to recruit frontcourt players who would be a threat to his playing time. IMO, he was looking at a repeat of his career at UVA to date, which was to have his potential playing time taken away from him by incoming transfers.

I think it was just one of those things.

3 Likes

God the new jerseys do suck after seeing the edit lol. We need to go back to last years. Im officially an old man

11 Likes

9 Likes

YES!

Edit - This was for the Franklin commit, not the uniforms.

3 Likes