Turgeon out at Maryland?

I just heard that Mark Turgeon resigned. Can anyone confirm?

Confirmed

Weird timing

1 Like

Yeah, seriously. Weird times.

Maryland fans are crying tears of joy, saying its the best thing to ever happen to the program over the last 10 years on their 247 board lol. The fanbase hates him.

2 Likes

I mean, kind of said it on other thread cause I missed this one, but he isn’t a very good coach. He’s done less with more talent than many. And that’s a very attractive job, so they’ll find somebody with some real potential.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1466848355280109574

1 Like

Feel like Maryland & Nebraska both made mistakes moving to the Big 10, but especially Maryland. What is their identity? They don’t have a geographic rival in the conference. At least when the ACC expanded, it brought several old Big East teams with, so Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, BC, Louisville have some history. Only game Maryland ever plays with history is in the ACC/B10 Challenge.

3 Likes

They should follow the trial we blazed for them. Their answer is at Wazzu.

I am somebody who wants Maryland back in the ACC, but what it got them was literal piles of money. Their athletic department was in a bad financial situation when they left, and now they are bringing in stacks of BIG cash. Terrible for rivalries and the sport, but not necessary for the Maryland athletic department or Maryland basketball if they can get this next hire right. No reason they can’t compete for the BIG title in basketball.

3 Likes

An interesting question, but one that is probably mostly unrelated to Turge’s coaching ability. Maybe some slight intersection at recruiting, but not much.

1 Like

Also, when we and UNC join Maryland in the BIG in 2030, they’ll have some of their old rivals back.

1 Like

And that’s tough to isolate as a single factor because their move to the Big Ten coincided with Jay Wright and Tony emerging as arguably the top two coaches in the sport. Especially Wright and the Nova connections to the DMV. The Maryland job is much easier when you have first choice for WCAC kids.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1466864858830364672?s=21
Am I crazy or is Goodman very off base here… why would either of those guys leave???

4 Likes

Nate Oats

DMV recruiting, not 2nd tier to Football. Grew up in B1G country (Wisconsin boy) Closer to civilization.

Don’t know if Maryland can compete with SEC money though. Although B1G ain’t broke either.

Holtmann is a wild name. Why would he accept a lesser, poorer job in the same conference?

2 Likes

He just loves making noise man.

6 Likes

I know Maryland fans have joked about it but in reality shouldn’t Pitino be a slam dunk hire for them? It’s not a place where most of the fan base would be bothered by his off court issues (at least that’s my perception of the Maryland fan base).

5 Likes

The Lefthander is available…

As I understand it, there is a $12,500,000+ buy out on Nate Oats contract if he leaves this year. Next year, it’s $10,000,000+. I am skeptical that Maryland would cover that, so I don’t think Oats is going anywhere anytime soon.

2 Likes