Updated 2021 Recruiting Rundown

Most likely they are backfilling some of their plan b guys behind Keels. For example, Isa Silva committed recently.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œHoozGotNext, post:20, topic:2416, full:trueā€]. My biggest takeaway from the last week, more from others actions than UVAā€™s, is that the NCAA can change schedules but the coaches do not. Youā€™d think there was a live period this past weekend from all the offers flying.

[/quote]

Also illustrates how much of coaches appearances at AAU events is for the benefit of players as much as it is for strict evaluation. The coaches have a good sense of who they want to target based on their preparation and homework.

It does suck for those off-the-radar kids who can grab a coaches attention during these events.

3 Likes

Yep! Aprilā€™s were never all that exciting for offers, more so for which established recruits Bennett hounds. Script flips in July

1 Like

Not the first time Kentucky has been sniffing around with Efton. He was definitely on their list to evaluate this Spring.

1 Like

I bet they want him to reclass

They were after Matt Haarms from Purdue. Looks like heā€™s going to BYU so now they may want Reid to reclassify

1 Like

Just my opinion but Kentucky can do a lot better if they want another big for next year. Transfer rule change means they can poach without mercy. Efton has a great future. I just donā€™t see him being more than a body at that level next year.

6 Likes

HGN - youā€™ve provided us a lot of great info on how Tony recruits and his general approach to things and players. In your gathering of info, have you picked up any interesting tidbits about what other ACC coaches are known for in the world of recruiting? Like does the way Roy approaches recruits and recruiting generally notably differ from K or Mack? Are some coaches known for a shotgun approach to putting out offers while others are pretty relentless with their initial targets? Any weird quirks some coaches might be known for or things recruits like or dislike?

If not, no worries at all. Must be hard enough keeping up with one teamā€™s recruiting. But thought it might be interesting!

8 Likes

Hereā€™s what we know about Coach Kā€™s ways based on the Max Christie interview. ā€œCoach K and with his recruiting style, he doesnā€™t talk to his recruits as much. He has a lot going onā€¦ā€

2 Likes

ha. yeah, a lot he doesnā€™t want to be directly implicated in.

scumbag.

1 Like
5 Likes

Do you get the sense that this means he is looking to wrap up his recruitment? Iā€™ve also been thinking that since virtual visits arenā€™t terribly difficult to do, and thereā€™s not much else going on, that recruits may want to take as many as they can

1 Like

Dukeā€¦They recruit a few cream of the crop hard out of the gate while giving the treatment Christie described to the rest, some offered some not. They want to wait until the summer to select from the group basically. They also ration Kā€™s time so that itā€™s more special when he shows up.

UNCā€¦Royā€™s out there as much as any coach. I call him sneaky because he likes to hide his intentions as long as possible. But when he jumps out of the closet, itā€™s full steam ahead.

Lvilleā€¦Havenā€™t picked up much on Mackā€™s habits yet. Heā€™s a good recruiter, thatā€™s for sure.

VTā€¦Mike Young has some Buzz Williams in him, both make a ton of offers. He knows what fits his team and trusts his eyes as they say, isnā€™t afraid to go off the beaten path.

Syracuseā€¦Assistants do all the leg work. Rarely hear of Boeheim on the road other than live periods.

Notre Dameā€¦Fans accuse Brey of being a lazy recruiter. I think thatā€™s just his style. They target a small group and just stay steady with it. Low pressure style. Usually get their share in the end.

NC Stateā€¦Keatts is tireless, always recruiting. Heā€™s a buddy type recruiter, connects with kids well. Heā€™s trying to throw a blanket around the ā€œhoop stateā€ for all the kids UNC doesnā€™t want. Almost doing it too.

About all I can come up with.

7 Likes

Heā€™s intent on taking actual visits when it opens up, probably to Villanova and UNC. I think these virtual visits are basically replacing the in-school or in-home visits that would otherwise happen this time of year.

3 Likes

Ok that was great. Real question- who cheats?

6 Likes

Does this mean that this could drag into 2021? Because neither of those campuses could open this fall

:laughing: :laughing: Whoever thinks the risk is worth the reward, same as always. Miami was caught. Doubt State is paying guys but theyā€™re a little shady. Youā€™d have to be naive not to think Duke looks the other way while things happen. Probably still some of that at Louisville. Talking more boosters, small sums than shoe companies in the recent past.

2 Likes

No I just mean he wants to take more visits assuming itā€™s allowed this summer. Lots of assumptions being made right now, to your point.

1 Like

Does anyone know anything about Benedict Mathurin? 6ā€™6" guard from Mexico City who is associated with NBA Academy Latin America. Rivals says he has an offer from Virginia as well as Oregon, Nebraska (I think), and Alabama. Given Bennettā€™s past recruiting history, this wouldnā€™t be a surprise to me, but this is the first Iā€™ve seen it mentioned.

ha. thank you