Uva a Blue Blood? Rothstein and Pastner think so

Just listened to Rothsteins podcast where he previews acc and interviews GTs Pastner. They make the case that UVA is a blue blood which is cool to hear. Rothstein likes Louisville this year.

He asked Pastner about Penny taking over Memphis. They kind of cut it off but he suggests that Penny didn’t want to work when he tried to hire him years back.

3 Likes

I just went back and listened to this podcast. If you listen at the end where Jon answers mailbag questions, he reads a listener’s question, “how do you see the Virginia Tech basketball line-up looking this year?”… he then proceeds to list the UVa projected line up instead and didn’t even notice.

3 Likes

Curious what the exact definition of a “Blue Blood” is. Its one of two things in my mind. Could be the few schools that get all the top one and done recruits and are consistently successful because of it. Or we could broaden the definition more and just call any school that is consistently successful for the long term. If a blue blood is the latter then Yes, UVA is definitely a blue blood. We lost so much last year, yet we are consistently competing and winning against top schools consistently…even in a down year.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. What is the definition of a blue blood?

2 Likes

Unfortunately I would say it’s neither. The former definition would include schools like LSU that are consistently pulling five stars left and right (and we know why). And the latter would include us but there is no way we are a blue blood.

I think being a blue blood means having success across many decades and ideally with many coaches (Duke being the exception on coaches to a degree)

2 Likes

To my way of thinking, a ‘Blue Blood’ program is one which has enjoyed decades of excellence, and by that I mean multiple national championships, or, at least, Final Fours. I also believe that a ‘Blue Blood’ program is one that has performed at that championship level through a succession of head coaches. This is what sets Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina apart from others. Connecticut has multiple championships, but all were with Calhoun’s players, if I am not mistaken. Both Michigan State and Villanova have multiple championships under different head coaches, but there were serious gaps in between. UCLA has multiple championships under several head coaches, and they have more championships than anyone else. I imagine despite their recent hardships, they are still a Blue Blood. Among other things, I believe Howell took them to three Final Fours. Who else? Indiana hasn’t exactly struggled since Knight left, but they aren’t the same, either. Florida was on the verge, sorta, but not anymore. There are lots of schools which have enjoyed inordinate success under one coach only to fade when he leaves. But for some bumps in the road, Virginia might now be approaching that sort of status, but I really don’t think it is a Blue Blood. Perhaps if the next two coaches go to multiple Final Fours and win several NCAA titles…

3 Likes

Vic Bubbas took Duke to multiple Final Fours in the 60s, at a time when he had to win the ACC Tournament just to get an invite to the NCAA tournament. Bill Foster took Duke to the National Chamipionship game in '78. Duke’s success did not begin with Krzyzewski.

4 Likes

Blueblood can be explained in simple terms. They are schools who brand, image, popularity and overall and reputation is bigger than their particular sport. My son say it this way. Its a school that all teams and fans get hype playing and they always play in sold out arenas, even in the road and a teams circle their names on their schedule. Plus the price of tickets are more. LOL

But I like my definition better

4 Likes

Duke had success before coach k BUT, It was before the ncaa field expanded. It was before the sport was more diversed. It was before the sport was popular and on tv. It was before the sport made huge money. The success also wasnt as consistent like coach K. Coach k is not only the greatest coach ever, He is Duke and college basketball. Thats why it feel so good when we beat him. LOL

4 Likes

Im not sure if its now but when I was growing up Georgetown and Syracuse were bluebloods. Syracuse had the same coach before my idol Pearl. Who is one of the best college players that don’t get shine. I went tu Pearl HS because of him. He was a flat out dawg and fought everyone. HA

1 Like

Blueblood is a term with different meanings to different people. I don’t buy the historical definition. UCLA and Indiana are not bluebloods today. They once were. But no more.

To me a blueblood is a current team that is always rated in top 10 of each pre-season just on perception, expectation, and reputation that they will be aN annual top contender. Get extra benefit in ratings by voters . Also get recruiting bumps.by recruiting gurus…a player gets a recruiting bump when offered by such schools. And considered a big game by opponents. That is Virginia. Blueblood.

Don’t tell me that UCLA, Indiana, or Georgetown are bluebloods. Living in the past

3 Likes

Three years ago we weren’t even ranked to begin the season so by your own definition UVA isn’t a blue blood

3 Likes

I guess you don’t like hearing this, but Blueblood Virginia is. Don’t get why you are trying to grasp for technical holes with my statement and ways to support your negative opinion that Virginia is not a blueblood. But I can’t agree with you. For fans believing Virginia is a blue blood, Virginia is the Las Vegas and many experts’ pre-season #1 for next season with no 5 stars players. Blueblood Virginia is. Still the reigning champions! Wahoowa!.

2 Likes

Every time WorldTraveler posts I’ll be picturing Yoda now.

8 Likes

One reason UVA is not a blueblood is because everytime a true blueblood join one of our recruits list. All the fans Doo Doo on themselves, panic, run tu HGN and start talking how we wont get the player now. LMAO Trevor Keels and Reid are perfect examples. UNC IS not worried about Duke. Duke is not worried about Kentucky. Kentucky is not worried about Arizona and so on and so on. We are having a tremendous run. Just like Gonzaga Florida and Villanova did or doing. But my thing is who cares. As long we continue tu win and get props, who cares. Is it the fans ego. As long we are reping on the court, I don’t care if we are blue, red, yellow or green bloods.

10 Likes

:yum: No better way to express a wise statement than to express it in the way the wise and powerful Yoda would.

Wise Yoda is. And

Blueblood Virginia is!!

Lol

3 Likes

Gotta agree with Tu 100. And, although I might bleed orange and blue, UVA ain’t a blueblood – and who cares? Guarantee that CTB does not. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another reason Virginia isn’t a ‘blue blood’ is that a school, or its fans, cannot declare it to be one. That is the sort of appellation that must come from others. When fans from schools across the country start calling UVa a ‘blue blood’, then it will be. Until then, Virginia is just a very, very good basketball school.

4 Likes

For Comparison, if Texas Tech continues to win at their current rate for the next 5-10 years, are they a blue blood? To me, I don’t think they would be. I see it as a program strong enough to be at the top through many coaches and decades. I don’t know that we are currently considered a blue blood, but I think by the time CTB retires, we’ll be able to attract a top tier coach who would want to continue our winning tradition. Until then, in CTB we trust!

4 Likes

Can someone find the origin of term Blue Blood for me? Am very confused on this and agree with everyone posting which confuses me more. hahhaah. Go Hoos

3 Likes