🏀 UVA at BC, Wed, 28 Feb, 2100, ESPNU

Late night 9 PM tip on ESPN U

4 Likes

For some reason I’m feeling a bit positive after the last three piles of offensive eruptions

3 Likes

I’m hopeful. Think someone said this a few days ago but this slump somewhat mirrors what we went through last year at the same time. We rebounded with a good win against Clemson and then Louisville then made a nice run in the ACC tournament.

3 Likes

Backs against the wall. Excited to see what this team has in them

https://x.com/treykelleher3/status/1762590655342153849?s=20

3 Likes

Thanks for starting, needed to break my bad juju of starting threads and losing :joy:

4 Likes

Figuring out how to defend Post in ball screens is going to be a big question to resolve. I see a couple of different options:

1. Defend him with a traditional big. Our standard hedge (even a flat hedge) is weak to him pick and popping, so our big might not be able to offer much support to the on-ball defender in ball screens. But this is a good option for defending his post ups.

2. Defend him with Ryan Dunn. This takes away the pick and pop, because either Dunn recovers to him with his length and speed, or they just switch. This gives up post ups though.

3. Defend him with both Ryan Dunn and a traditional big. This will take some explaining, but I saw it broken down by Brian Geisinger when looking at how Duke and NC State defended Post:

https://x.com/bgeis_bird/status/1757037225810739315?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

Have the quicker defender take away the pick and pop, and even switch it if you need to, then switch the traditional big onto Post when he tries to transition that into a post-up.

2 Likes

If anyone else going to the game, hit me up.

3 Likes

Let score more than 50?

Happy Gary Vaynerchuk GIF by Russell Brunson

6 Likes

BC shoots the 3 really well, that’s the main concern. 38.3% at home on the season. And they’ve made at least 8 in 7 of the last 8 games. Mason Madsen has given them a big lift. Since being moved into the starting lineup the last five games, he’s averaging 17.2 PPG, shooting 51% from 3 (18/35).

3 Likes

This game gives ND vibes where they hit us with a few threes early and we never recover

2 Likes

2-3 in those 5 games. We gotta score.

3 Likes

Hoping for a big night from Minor in his homecoming game. Was encouraged by his performance on Saturday

6 Likes

Meaningless game for them and essentially a tournament game for us. I think we rise to the occasion like the FSU game

You have to approach it “We have to win this game to make the tournament”. If you lose it is on you. No excuses.

1 Like

I mean the team should have gone into VT and UNC with plenty of motivation and we were horrendous and flaccid

1 Like

Will UVA score more than 50 vs BC?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

I’ve had this game circled as a trap game for awhile - mostly due to Post and the awful atmosphere in Conte. Maybe some PTSD to past clunkers there as well.

Really hope game plan is to pressure Post offensively- force him to pick up a couple fouls which means a heavy dose of Minor inside and Dunn/Gertrude flying at the basket.

Post is really their only rim protector and so important to what they do offensively. I think you need to ride Minor even if he gives up some points on the defensive end.

3 Likes

I’m curious who Reece ends up defending; is it Zackery to try to cut off their main set-up guy, or Harris to deal with the perimeter player who is most able to create his own shot? I think I’d probably vote Zackery, assuming he’s the one most likely to be in the ball screen action with Post.

When it comes to our offense, I assume they play a lot of drop coverage because Post is sloooow on the defensive end, but large. Madsen into the starting lineup is definitely an offense-first move, so hopefully we can find a way to attack him.

Lol well that’s all I needed to hear to lose the 1% of confidence I had going into the game tonight. This one’s an L, and I don’t think it’ll be close. Would love to be wrong!

1 Like

I agree that it would be a trap game if we were coming off a win, but I’m not sure how we can be overlooking anyone after the last few games.

6 Likes